Home & Garden

Best dishwasher <$900 that is available now?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2021 10:49 am
[OP]
Oct 27, 2009
52 posts
6 upvotes
Waterloo

Best dishwasher <$900 that is available now?

I'm in the market for a new dishwasher and would like to buy one and get it shipped by the end of the month. It looks like most Bosch dishwashers are sold out and will only be available in 2 to 3 months time. Here are the options I've found that are in stock:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ma ... l/14765738

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/bo ... l/12612044

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ma ... l/14399502

Any recommendation on which one I should get?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18560 posts
16087 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Costco still has a good bit of Bosch DWs in stock …
Including several under $ 1000
Or a few better ones just over the $ 1000 mark

Best Buy … do you know FOR SURE they have stock

Cuz sometimes these Big Box Stores sell stuff on spec
They get your money … then they tell you it’s actually on back order

At least with Costco … if it’s on their website … it actually exists in their supply chain / distribution centre somewhere in Canada or the USA

EDIT / ADD
Plus with Costco you get their Price Guarantee - Extra Warranty - Delivery & Delivery Window Confirmation - Haul Away - and After Sales Service (Concierge ). And if you have a Costco Exec Membership you earn 2% Cash Back … have a Costco CC = earn another 2% Cash Back
They can also arrange installation if you need it

Right now in Covid times … Costco is my first choice for appliances
Lowe’s would be my second choice
[OP]
Oct 27, 2009
52 posts
6 upvotes
Waterloo
PointsHubby wrote: Costco still has a good bit of Bosch DWs in stock …

At least with Costco … if it’s on their website … it actually exists in their supply chain / distribution centre somewhere in Canada or the USA

EDIT / ADD
Plus with Costco you get their Price Guarantee - Extra Warranty - Delivery & Delivery Window Confirmation - Haul Away - and After Sales Service (Concierge ). And if you have a Costco Exec Membership you earn 2% Cash Back … have a Costco CC = earn another 2% Cash Back

I prefer bestbuy as I have around 700 in bestbuy gift cards.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1956 posts
117 upvotes
Vaughan
Consumer Reports suggest you get Bosch if you can find it in stock.
Bosch 2-3 months time could easily become 5-6 or longer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5150 posts
2032 upvotes
stupidity wrote: I prefer bestbuy as I have around 700 in bestbuy gift cards.
Then put in an order and see if they can deliver on Trick or Treat Day
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jun 23, 2019
433 posts
266 upvotes
I bought the Maytag MDB4949SKZ two months ago, it's an excellent dish washer. Dishes come out clean, and it's VERY quiet.
[OP]
Oct 27, 2009
52 posts
6 upvotes
Waterloo
vrscdx wrote: I bought the Maytag MDB4949SKZ two months ago, it's an excellent dish washer. Dishes come out clean, and it's VERY quiet.
Do you think the stainless steel tub helps with drying out the dishes?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2390 posts
1127 upvotes
Edmonton
stupidity wrote: Do you think the stainless steel tub helps with drying out the dishes?
With the Bosch and Miele the stainless steel tub is an integral part of the drying process.
They have no drying heater, they dry by condensing the water on the steel tub.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18560 posts
16087 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
stupidity wrote: Do you think the stainless steel tub helps with drying out the dishes?
walleye*guy wrote: With the Bosch and Miele the stainless steel tub is an integral part of the drying process.
They have no drying heater, they dry by condensing the water on the steel tub.
This

Bosch makes their standard dishwashers … that use their stainless steel tub and the natural process of condensation to dry the dishes
And then they make their high end dishwashers that use their Crystal Dry technology … but it’s only on their 800 Series DWs
So definitely nothing under $ 1000 Cdn

Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2035 posts
1528 upvotes
GTA West
PointsHubby wrote: Costco still has a good bit of Bosch DWs in stock …

EDIT / ADD

The Bosch Ascenta that Costco has at $999 has been top rated in Consumer Reports for several years. They rated it above more expensive Bosch models. It has a hybrid plastic/stainless steel tub.

Model SHX3AR75UC

Ours just turned 10 years old and we love it. There is a trick to drying - you have crack the door open at the end of the cycle to let the steam vent out. And the racks are not the most functional I have seen and could be improved.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18560 posts
16087 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Dealmaker1945 wrote: The Bosch Ascenta that Costco has at $999 has been top rated in Consumer Reports for several years. They rated it above more expensive Bosch models. It has a hybrid plastic/stainless steel tub.

Model SHX3AR75UC

Ours just turned 10 years old and we love it. There is a trick to drying - you have crack the door open at the end of the cycle to let the steam vent out. And the racks are not the most functional I have seen and could be improved.
Thanks for this …

Our dishwasher is on its last legs …
It’s a 20 year old Maytag / Kenmore

So I have been paying more attention than usual to the threads on DWs
And doing some research on what’s out there
Hence my link on the Bosch Crystal Dry technology

Like the OP, we are primarily looking at Maytag or Bosch
Although the technology / features between the 2 are vastly different
But probably equally good for average users

Just a case of finding the best deal come Black Friday
Jun 23, 2019
433 posts
266 upvotes
No idea if it helps, but my dishes always come out dry. Also the Maytag doesn't have a filter that needs to be cleaned periodically, it has a food chopper to break up any large pieces of food.
Jan 20, 2012
953 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
Was shopping appliance for my new house closing at the end of this month. I was told any Bosch DW will be fulfilled after January and rest of my appliance will be sometime in late November to December. So I will probably be out of appliance for a while.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18560 posts
16087 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Inclemental wrote: Was shopping appliance for my new house closing at the end of this month. I was told any Bosch DW will be fulfilled after January and rest of my appliance will be sometime in late November to December. So I will probably be out of appliance for a while.
This is the builder supplying right ?

Find out if you can forego their supplying … you get the credit. And then shop on your own

You can tell them … it’s one less headache for them to worry about.

If that works … look at Costco. If it’s listed on Costco.ca it typically means it’s in their system (tagged for Costco )
So less likely of being on back order

Costco generally has a policy … their website only shows what’s available
If it’s not available it’s either not listed … or shown as OOS … Out of Stock

Costco benefits … Price Guarantee, Delivery, Haul Away, After Sales Service (Concierge), and Extended Warranty beyond the manufacturers one.
Plus 2% Cash Back if you are an Exec Member.
Another 2% Cash Back if you pay with a Costco MC
Jan 20, 2012
953 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: This is the builder supplying right ?

Find out if you can forego their supplying … you get the credit. And then shop on your own

You can tell them … it’s one less headache for them to worry about.

If that works … look at Costco. If it’s listed on Costco.ca it typically means it’s in their system (tagged for Costco )
So less likely of being on back order
None are builder items. We are getting our own appliance.

LG fridge, shows available in Jan from Costco as well. Price is $300 more than my invoice price.
LG washer/dryer, being available as same time as my order in Oct/Nov but $350 more than what I am paying.
Bosch dishwasher from Costco is available in October but $150 more.
GE Cafe oven available as the same time as my order in Oct/Nov but $200 more.

I am getting the same LG bundle discount and 10% off from GE oven. At the end, it will be ~$1000 more if buying from Costco. Factoring in CC and Costco cashback vs my Visa cashback, there are still ~$700 in price difference.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18560 posts
16087 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Inclemental wrote: None are builder items. We are getting our own appliance.

LG fridge, shows available in Jan from Costco as well. Price is $300 more than my invoice price.
LG washer/dryer, being available as same time as my order in Oct/Nov but $350 more than what I am paying.
Bosch dishwasher from Costco is available in October but $150 more.
GE Cafe oven available as the same time as my order in Oct/Nov but $200 more.

I am getting the same LG bundle discount and 10% off from GE oven. At the end, it will be ~$1000 more if buying from Costco. Factoring in CC and Costco cashback vs my Visa cashback, there are still ~$700 in price difference.
Ok … got it

So you’ve got everything else pre arranged …

I don’t know if it was me … I couldn’t imagine living until January without a fridge.

Curious where you are currently buying your appliances from.
Jan 20, 2012
953 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Ok … got it

So you’ve got everything else pre arranged …

I don’t know if it was me … I couldn’t imagine living until January without a fridge.

Curious where you are currently buying your appliances from.
I only finalized and paid deposit on my appliances yesterday after hearing all sort of story about shortage. I may postpone my move if all things are being delayed.

I’m getting my appliances from Goemans. The sales has my list of appliances since last year. He has been trying to hold the price for me even I didn’t put down any deposit. Price indeed increased in comparing to last year but cheaper than current price tag.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18560 posts
16087 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Inclemental wrote: I only finalized and paid deposit on my appliances yesterday after hearing all sort of story about shortage. I may postpone my move if all things are being delayed.

I’m getting my appliances from Goemans. The sales has my list of appliances since last year. He has been trying to hold the price for me even I didn’t put down any deposit. Price indeed increased in comparing to last year but cheaper than current price tag.
Interesting.

Do keep us posted … I am hoping you don’t run into any back orders or delayed delivery issues

Cuz holding the price is one thing … holding stock another
Aug 19, 2012
62 posts
125 upvotes
Halifax
My opinion:

Process of selecting appliances should not be initially based on the firm budget, and the brand name.
Start with a research on the options/functions/building materials modern dishwashers have, and which options/functions/building materials you actually want your new dishwasher to have, based on the research. Then, see if what you want is aligned with your budget. If not, prioritize what options/functions/building materials are a "must have", what are a "nice to have", and the ones you can live without.
Next, se what product fall within the desired range, and are aligned with the budget you are willing to spend. This way, you will know if it is worth to invest a bit more (or less) in order to get what you want.
Once when you've narrowed your options and desired features, research the models that are within your scope, and decide what to buy (considering the appearance and a look in your kitchen, professional reviews, scrutinize customer reviews, research warranty, reliability, vendor, and your brand preference.
Next - buy the model you decided is the best option for you (based on the above process), and believe it will fulfill your needs and make you happy.

For example:
Buying a new dishwasher:
Must have options/functions/building materials: excellent performer in washing dishes, quiet (40dB), stainless steel outside, and inside tub, steam feature (an option that has trickled down from commercial units, and is a big improvement in the overall performance), hidden controls (for my 5yr old) and fingerprint/smudge resistant (living with a non-resistant one is a living hell for me, but it might be completely irrelevant for other people), 3 racks, energy star certified (shouldn't be a problem with most models)
Nice to have options/functions/building materials: smart (Wi-Fi connection), adjustable racks,
Can live without: door opens when you knock on it twice (like on Miele's top of the line models) etc
Warranty, additional reviews, research,
My choice: LDP6810SS

Last piece of advice: do not take advices based solely on a brand/manufacturer (any brand) preference, or urban rumors, as people tend to be highly subjective, especially after they buy a certain brand model. It is pretty safe to say that no one on this forum hasn't possessed and extensively used every brand model that is currently on the market, and hence cannot tell you exactly what to buy. On the other hand, any input from the forum members based on the experience with the dishwasher models they have and been using is very valuable.
“Ravel Puzzlewell: What can change the nature of a man?”
Jan 20, 2012
953 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Interesting.

Do keep us posted … I am hoping you don’t run into any back orders or delayed delivery issues

Cuz holding the price is one thing … holding stock another
I got you. Unfortunately they are not holding stock without deposit. That was reason I'd to pay to reserve now. Fridge is a nightmare for sure. I have 2 small fridge and a chest freezer at home now. At worst I can either postpone my move or using these alternative.

I ventured in Costco the past couple days. I saw odd stock on Whirlpool DW selling at $899. Probably OP can check it out.