• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 7:15 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2016
48 posts
11 upvotes

Best Driving instructor in North York?

Hi all,

I'm getting my first car next Monday and pretty excited about it.

I have had full G license for a decade but never really driven in my life..

Before I pick up my car, I think I will need driving lessons as I'm not familiar with traffic rules, how to park, etc.

Most of the driving instructors on kijiji focus on passing road test in a short period time.

I'm looking for someone who can teach me all those rules and tips to drive safe with confidence.

Is there anyone good with reasonable rates? Preferably, in North York, who can provide pick-up and drop-off as well

Thanks.
26 replies
Aug 6, 2017
672 posts
1105 upvotes
wcikkk wrote: Hi all,

Before I pick up my car, I think I will need driving lessons as I'm not familiar with traffic rules, how to park, etc.
How could have you never driven in your life but have a G licence? Did you buy it from a pawn shop?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13929 posts
3896 upvotes
GTA
Kingsmen17 wrote: How could have you never driven in your life but have a G licence? Did you buy it from a pawn shop?
to be fair to OP it's because we have a ridiculous system where getting a license is so easy. Kudos to OP for trying to go above the minimum before getting on the roads
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9612 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
OP probably lacks confidence and upon getting the license initially, could not afford a car and insurance so never got the practice necessary to build confidence.
OP should get a few lessons to get back in the game and get a vehicle so that with practice confidence will develop.
Just a bit of the jitters but OP should be OK once they take it nice and slow and careful.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote: How could have you never driven in your life but have a G licence? Did you buy it from a pawn shop?
Why would that matter at all? OP understands that jumping into a car would make him into a road risk and would like to make sure to have some road knowledge before driving off a car from a dealership lot. Kudos to OP for willing to submit to a driver training.
Jul 25, 2015
872 posts
714 upvotes
Why would people downvote this? All these people complain about terrible drivers and then you have a inexperience driver asking for professional help and gets downvoted.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14872 posts
9263 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: Why would that matter at all? OP understands that jumping into a car would make him into a road risk and would like to make sure to have some road knowledge before driving off a car from a dealership lot. Kudos to OP for willing to submit to a driver training.
Sinasta wrote: Why would people downvote this? All these people complain about terrible drivers and then you have a inexperience driver asking for professional help and gets downvoted.
wcikkk wrote: Hi all,

Most of the driving instructors on kijiji focus on passing road test in a short period time.

Thanks.
Cause bold. How this is even possible, I have no idea. Sounds like OP came from another province and never had the requirement for a car. Although, the general rules of the road don't change, lots of scepticism.

Also, kijiji....
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Dec 23, 2016
48 posts
11 upvotes
koffey wrote: Cause bold. How this is even possible, I have no idea. Sounds like OP came from another province and never had the requirement for a car. Although, the general rules of the road don't change, lots of scepticism.

Also, kijiji....
It's OP. I got a license back in 2006 and left the country for a while. Never drove my own car.. rent zipcar few times for a short distance.

Anything wrong with asking for the recommendation for a good instructor? Should I just go on the road without training and hit on your car on the highway? If that's what you want, let me know where you usually drive.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14872 posts
9263 upvotes
Toronto
wcikkk wrote: It's OP. I got a license back in 2006 and left the country for a while. Never drove my own car.. rent zipcar few times for a short distance.

Anything wrong with asking for the recommendation for a good instructor? Should I just go on the road without training and hit on your car on the highway? If that's what you want, let me know where you usually drive.
Markham, Brampton, Richmond Hill.

Only true masters would hire kijiji instructor. By all mean, you're on the path to greatness.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11528 posts
3242 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Good for you wanting to go get a refresher driving lessons. Another suggestion if you want to really improve your driving skill is to go take a performance driving course, there are different companies however the one I have used and work with currently is - http://www.pinnacledriving.com Yourself or anybody can learn a great deal and improve their skills for the road!
Aug 6, 2017
672 posts
1105 upvotes
I'm all for improving your driving skills. But it was the way you worded the situation, which doesn't make sense initially (as highlighted in bold above).

If you had said that you got your license but just wanted more practice before getting back on the road, that would make more sense.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6715 posts
6744 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hire any old instructor to help you brush up on the basics, and then follow up by reading the last 20-30 pages of our dashcam thread (to learn how not to drive). That should get you started.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
I had same situation when I moved to Canada first
I had a European license hence I got a G license right away
But still I took some lessons
Op i learnt from Raymond.his English has chiense accent but very good instructor...
416-727-3366
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
koffey wrote: Cause bold. How this is even possible, I have no idea. Sounds like OP came from another province and never had the requirement for a car. Although, the general rules of the road don't change, lots of scepticism.

Also, kijiji....
If you really want to be pedantic and include your knowledge one would understand that class G license is only applicable to Ontario, thus the idea of another province is a non-starer (without bold).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27 ... _in_Canada
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14872 posts
9263 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: If you really want to be pedantic and include your knowledge one would understand that class G license is only applicable to Ontario, thus the idea of another province is a non-starer (without bold).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27 ... _in_Canada
Actually, a graduating licensing to is not only applicable to Ontario. :rolleyes:

My suggestion was a that OP was perhaps license holder from out of province with that being said, full license.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2483 posts
482 upvotes
koffey wrote: Actually, a graduating licensing to is not only applicable to Ontario. :rolleyes:

My suggestion was a that OP was perhaps license holder from out of province with that being said, full license.
Yes , as I said when.I came from europe my license was converted to full G on the spot no question.asked.
But I had no courage to go to 401. Thats one crazy highway for new comers...collector express people driving too fast and too close. I took safe route and took lessons to acclimate myself to new roads.
Don't regret it at all.
I spend money on safety without thinking too much....
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14872 posts
9263 upvotes
Toronto
Asker123 wrote: Yes , as I said when.I came from europe my license was converted to full G on the spot no question.asked.
I wasn't ever talking to you so I'm not sure why you are saying yes, as you said... I'm not talking about another country either...

If you read what I said, OP was probably a full license in another province, came to Ontario and full G. What we didn't know what OP was already full G and left the country when he horribly described his actual situation.

Incredibly difficult to understand right?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 17, 2010
204 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
OP with zero driving confidence + brand new car + winter season = bold move!

If its not a troll post than good on you for driving lessons. Avoid the highways until weather clears up.

G'luck.