Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6086 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill

Best dsl modem?

I am tired of my smart rg modem. just not very good. Wifi signal is horrible and I know many have the same issue with this modem Is there anything better?
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
19 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15408 posts
4050 upvotes
Markham
use it as modem only and add a better router??
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6086 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill
Keigotw wrote: use it as modem only and add a better router??
Well, aren't most modern modem are routers too? In my case it's both it is around 8 years old so perhaps it doesn't have the latest hardware inside. My PC needs wired connection(50/10 connection) and our phones are via wifi. The main issue, wifi is absolute garbage in our home and it is just a 1100sqf townhome. Wifi signal 1foot away from the modem is 10/1mb on a good day, 7mb in another room on the same floor and only 4mb downstairs. Ping is horrible too.
Those are on a good day! I've been playing with channels recently when it gets bad(under 3mb/s), trying to pick less used,but that is only a temporary solution.
Aug 7, 2010
257 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Def want to separate the two. Invest in a decent wifi router and disable the wifi signal on your smart rg modem.

The combo units (dsl modem with WiFi built in) generally suck.

So your smart rg modem will allow you to connect to the internet and your new wifi router will take care of the rest.

New routers have great technology such as beamforming which focuses wifi signal to devices. This should help alleviate some of the issues
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
dazz wrote: Well, aren't most modern modem are routers too?
Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't run your own.
Bridge mode if you can and get a better router. I like pfSense.
Better wifi too. I like Unifi.
May 11, 2007
28 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
Always, always, and always connect a router to a modem. The routing/wifi features of the modem/router combo devices are an afterthought. Since you've VDSL which is speed limited to 50 Mbps, you don't need an expense router with a good CPU. The TP-Link Archer C7 or the Asus 66U B1 will be sufficient in your case.
May 11, 2007
28 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't run your own.
Bridge mode if you can and get a better router. I like pfSense.
Better wifi too. I like Unifi.
Pfsense is not for everyone. You need to be technically inclined to configure it and run it.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2437 posts
1266 upvotes
Winnipeg
dazz wrote: Well, aren't most modern modem are routers too? In my case it's both it is around 8 years old...
Take back to ISP, ask for new one?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
Mereo wrote: Pfsense is not for everyone. You need to be technically inclined to configure it and run it.
I would 100% disagree, especially if you buy one of the preconfigured ones from Netgate.
Setting up your own on a PC is marginally more difficult, but unless you know literally zero about computers it's not very hard at all.
For basic usage there's minimal configuration.
Plug WAN into the WAN port, plug LAN (and probably a switch) into the LAN port.
Done and done.

More advanced usage (ie port forwarding or VPN or whatever) requires technical knowledge on any platform.
Or blindly following a guide and hoping it works.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6086 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks guys!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6086 posts
1956 upvotes
Thornhill
So, I found D-Link 615 router in my storage and connected it. Wireless signal is even worse downstairs. It is better nearby as I am getting up to 17/5 now,but downstairs 0.6mb download.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1915 posts
996 upvotes
GTA
dazz wrote: So, I found D-Link 615 router in my storage and connected it. Wireless signal is even worse downstairs. It is better nearby as I am getting up to 17/5 now,but downstairs 0.6mb download.
Not sure who your ISP is, but the SmartRG wireless has always had terrible wifi. As soon as I got mine I turned it into Bridge mode & (disabled the wifi) basically turning it into a modem only and put my own Wireless AC router behind it. I put the ASUS RT-87U (2400 AC) as the wifi/router and I have 0 dead zones in my place, I get practically full speed everywhere, and since majority of my neighbours still use 2.4GHz, I use the 5Ghz band and get better coverage and no interference.

Your D-Link 615 is a Wireless N 300 router from 2013, probably has worse reception then the SmartRG modem, especially if you didn't put the SmartRG in bridge mode you have 2 wifi networks running simultaneously which is going to cause problems. Wifi coming from both the SmartRG and the Router at the same time if you didn't disable the changes on the SmartRG.

If you want better coverage, a new modem will not change anything. You;re better off investing in a better router and use the SmartRG in bridge mode.
May 11, 2007
28 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: I would 100% disagree, especially if you buy one of the preconfigured ones from Netgate.
Setting up your own on a PC is marginally more difficult, but unless you know literally zero about computers it's not very hard at all.
For basic usage there's minimal configuration.
Plug WAN into the WAN port, plug LAN (and probably a switch) into the LAN port.
Done and done.

More advanced usage (ie port forwarding or VPN or whatever) requires technical knowledge on any platform.
Or blindly following a guide and hoping it works.
I'm sorry but I disagree. You need to put yourself in the shoes of an average customer. The average customer just wants a device that he can buy, configure with the help of the wizard, and then use the internet.

No matter what, Pfense is simply not for the average customer as they will simply be scared by all that networking mumbo jumbo. Just like someone who doesn't know how to cook, they need to follow precise instructions or else, they'll be lost. Same thing with routers. I will never recommend Pfsense to an average user.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4239 posts
2528 upvotes
Gotham
+1 on use your own router. My provider offered me a modem/router combo but I refused and got a dedicated modem from them. I bought my own router for about $30.
May 11, 2007
28 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
One word of advice. Take advantage of lenient return policies. Try out numerous routers to find out the one that suit your needs. I had to tried four routers before settling with my current one: Asus RT-ac86u.