• Dec 26th, 2006 3:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
175 posts
1 upvote

Best DVD+/-R deal?

If I rememeber correctly there was for $20 100 Imitation, Fuji, and Memorex. Are these any good or should I wait and see if some Verbatim would be on sale later?
51 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Don't buy the cheapest. Coasters will give you a headache. Verbatims if you find them. This new batch of Fujis are not great (and smell like mothballs). The Memorex & Maxelle are OK for the price - decent feedback from RFD dudes.

Never tried those Imations but "looking at them" at the store quality control seems an issue. They remind me of Prodisc and that's not a compliment.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46246 posts
6701 upvotes
Richmond Hill
7jaii wrote: Don't buy the cheapest. Coasters will give you a headache. Verbatims if you find them. This new batch of Fujis are not great (and smell like mothballs). The Memorex & Maxelle are OK for the price - decent feedback from RFD dudes.

Never tried those Imations but "looking at them" at the store quality control seems an issue. They remind me of Prodisc and that's not a compliment.
The Imations should be great quality though, and for $20/100, it's worth it. I think that's what I'm going to be picking up this year.

I just hope Imation didn't lower quality standards to meet Futureshop's demand for this at such a low price.
Aug 13, 2006
745 posts
93 upvotes
Burlington
the 100 for $20 memorex ones @ BB looks like a pretty good deal, about 50% off reg price. I've always used memorex for all my burning, including movies, xbox games, music and data...never had a coaster caused by disc.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: The Imations should be great quality though, and for $20/100, it's worth it. I think that's what I'm going to be picking up this year.

I just hope Imation didn't lower quality standards to meet Futureshop's demand for this at such a low price.
These are NEW repackaged Imations but I don't have discs to read to back up my suspescions. You'll notice they're pretty crappy when its in your hands. Bestbuy had them in December for $24/100 - not much of a deal. Never had trouble with Memorex or Maxelle given their price theyr not Verbatim :lol:
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46246 posts
6701 upvotes
Richmond Hill
7jaii wrote: These are NEW repackaged Imations but I don't have discs to read to back up my suspescions. You'll notice they're pretty crappy when its in your hands. Bestbuy had them in December for $24/100 - not much of a deal. Never had trouble with Memorex or Maxelle given their price theyr not Verbatim :lol:
But look at it this way. Memorex, (Prodisc) Maxell, Fujifilm, Imation... I'd rather take Imation. It's the cheapest one without rebate (Fujifilm is cheapest after rebate).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4986 posts
693 upvotes
The memorex 100 dvd +/_ R @ Walmart for boxing week deal for $17.77 is the hot deal of the week.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
3154 posts
148 upvotes
Napanee
Out of the 4 I'd put Memorex last :confused:
My GamerTag: http://live.xbox.com/member/Corey31
Wins:
Be First to Play - XBOX 360
Win Every Hour - XBOX 360
Wiin The Key to Summer - Nintendo Wii
Score Every Hour - NHL 08
Tribute.ca - Lost Season 4 DVD
Aug 13, 2006
745 posts
93 upvotes
Burlington
Everyone has different experiences with all types of media, due to compatibility issues usually. Certain media works better with certain burners, some will work with your dvd player if you're making movie backups, some won't, and the same with game backups.

Before you go out an buy 100, you should really purchase a small 5 pack, and test them out with your burner, and with the applications or hardware you intend to use them with/on.

I use memorex for everything (movies, games, xbox, music) and like I said before, I've never had a coaster that wasn't my own fault. But like others have said, memorex has been crap for them, so its all about your own setup.

Test a small 5 pack before you buy 100 if you're really concerned about spending $20 on a 100 pack. But that wal-mart deal for 100 memorex @ 17.77 looks pretty hot.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7705 posts
3157 upvotes
From what I've seen so far, I'm not buying any of the discs on sale. I don't want to risk my data on crappy media. I've had great experiences on MIJ media and Verbatim media so I'll wait for those to go on sale. I have discs over 5 years old that still read perfectly. I still have half of a 100 pack of Verbatims which I bought for $35 a few months ago, so I'll wait for good media to go on sale.
Aug 13, 2006
745 posts
93 upvotes
Burlington
hifimi wrote: most of you may know of this...but check this guide out.....its really neat

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

i bought philips last year....and most of these discs have turned into door stoppers !!!
Thats a neat site, and it should help my future media purchases, but I checked my Memorex discs, and they are listed as "4th Class Media", which is 0-50% burn success rate. However I have a whole stack of successful burns sitting next to me...so I'm not sure if that site is 100% accurate, or maybe I'm just lucky. I guess Verbatim will be my next media if on sale.
May 25, 2006
262 posts
If you're gonna get Imation, better go with dvd+r cause dvd-r only burned at 2x with my LG burner (but it's LG 4040B which is the highest at 4x). I did have a couple of coasters. Not impress with these DVDs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Moosebox wrote: Thats a neat site, and it should help my future media purchases, but I checked my Memorex discs, and they are listed as "4th Class Media", which is 0-50% burn success rate. However I have a whole stack of successful burns sitting next to me...so I'm not sure if that site is 100% accurate, or maybe I'm just lucky. I guess Verbatim will be my next media if on sale.
Don't worry, the DigitalFAQ, although looking very pretty, has very little actual accurate information. It's SLIGHTLY better then taking random guesses via a dart board and brand name-tags, but on a good day you might do better with the dart board.

Honestly, I don't know HOW they put that thing together, but it's more misleading then anything else. I've attempted to have it corrected on several occasions, but other then having one of the authors admit that his own experiences contradict some of the DigitalFAQ, not much progress has been made.

Currently the big problem is that most big brands are now selling 16x media made by Taiwanese manufacturers, most of which is still not that well supported, especially at full speed.

But anyways, don't worry.... unlike Bestbuy and Futureshop, I know for a FACT that some *GOOD* media will be selling at NCIX for their boxing day sale. Anitec will probably have some crazy deals also.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Grey Merlin wrote: If you're gonna get Imation, better go with dvd+r cause dvd-r only burned at 2x with my LG burner (but it's LG 4040B which is the highest at 4x). I did have a couple of coasters. Not impress with these DVDs.
Your drive is crap and outdated, stop blaming the media and get a real drive! Seriously, there might be 2 or 3 disc types that will burn ok on it that are still available, and the rest will be a crap shoot at the very best!
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
May 25, 2006
262 posts
The Digital Dolphin wrote: Your drive is crap and outdated, stop blaming the media and get a real drive! Seriously, there might be 2 or 3 disc types that will burn ok on it that are still available, and the rest will be a crap shoot at the very best!
I'm getting a new burner when I build a new computer. I know that you're the resident guru on DVD media, but it is the media. The only time my drive burn disc at 2x is when I use these Imation and cheap no name brand from the small computer shops.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
756 upvotes
Vancouver
can someone give me a quick refresher on difference btwn - and + ? :confused:
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46246 posts
6701 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DD, can you verify what we've been talking about for the Imation disks on sale at Future Shop for $20/100? From my previous experiences, these should be great if not excellent disks, but personally I'm concerned if quality was sacrificed for this price.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2464 posts
1086 upvotes
Grey Merlin wrote: I'm getting a new burner when I build a new computer. I know that you're the resident guru on DVD media, but it is the media. The only time my drive burn disc at 2x is when I use these Imation and cheap no name brand from the small computer shops.
Wrong.

The only time your drive burns discs at 2x is under 3 conditions:

1) Your drive does NOT recognize the MEDIA-ID of the disk, thus defaults to a safe writing speed. (Most Likely)

2) Your source drive (hard drive) can not supply your burner fast enough so it end up writing at around 2x.

3) Your drive does recognize the MEDIA-ID correctly and sets it to burn at 2x because you are using 2x media. (Least Likely)

The Imations are actually quite decent so long as you have a decent burner. For example, the Pioneer 111's love the Imations.

Personally, I have found the Imations to be good when there is no physical damage to the discs straight out of the packaging.

Unfortunately, about 10% of the disks in a pack may very well have some type of physical aberration (e.g. dye placement, scratches, dirt/dust)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)