Careers

Best for early career: Mining vs Geological vs Civil Engineering?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2019 6:43 am
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
94 posts
24 upvotes
Canada

Best for early career: Mining vs Geological vs Civil Engineering?

What field is best for a prospective engineering student who wants to get a good job?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2715 posts
2040 upvotes
Toronto
i feel like mining and geological gets sent to middle of no where, but can make more
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1133 posts
626 upvotes
North York
Depends what you consider is "good". Like above is money is all you care for I suppose mining is better for middle of nowhere. But if you want to work for the government in a populated city, civil has a much better chance
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9163 posts
481 upvotes
Mississauga
Wife is currently a Geologist. Focuses on gold
Makes a great salary for us ~70K.

Only thing is that her rotation is 15 days out 13 days home.

Very tough!

Rare earth is where it is at right now!
RFD 39-0-0
Ebay 31-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Apr 14, 2017
864 posts
406 upvotes
DT Calgary
redflagdealsnewb wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 9:25 pm
What field is best for a prospective engineering student who wants to get a good job?
Mining seems to finally be picking back up after being in the doldrums for several years. May be a good play if you can get good experience during your degree. Regardless of what you choose, there isn't a shortage of workers/applicants for any discipline.
Apr 14, 2017
864 posts
406 upvotes
DT Calgary
XxXSnake23XxX wrote:
Aug 6th, 2019 6:07 pm
Wife is currently a Geologist. Focuses on gold
Makes a great salary for us ~70K.

Only thing is that her rotation is 15 days out 13 days home.

Very tough!

Rare earth is where it is at right now!
A 2x2 rotation is the best. My summer jobs in university were that, and I wish I still had that! 6.5+ months off a year is hard to beat!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2080 posts
1100 upvotes
I had a geophysicist live next door to me in college. He graduated just as the industry was collapsing in the md 1990s, and basically had to go back and do another degree. Its a notoriously cyclical profession, geological and mining. Like most kinds of engineering in Canada, you need to be prepared for the significant probability that your discipline of choice will be in a severe downturn that can last for years and may permanently exclude you.
Nov 22, 2017
246 posts
138 upvotes
I would go for civil more broad discipline. Then you can always do a masters or narrow it down more through work experience. You do not want to pigeon hole yourself from the beginning. That goes for other engineering students as well. Unless of course mining/geology is a true passion. You have to be an adventurous/outdoor person who doesn't mind to go in the bush for weeks at a time working 12 hour shifts and living in camps. Is that something you can see yourself doing?