• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2022 10:12 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
399 posts
509 upvotes

Best Electric Mop / Hard Floor Cleaner

Hi RFD,

I use a traditional string mop and bucket for weekend cleanup. But with an active toddler, I find I have less time and more mess to manage.

Canadian Tire currently has a bunch of Bissel/Hoover products on sale and I want to ditch the mop and bucket.

What do you use to regularly clean your hard wood / tile floors? I really don’t want to use a Swiffer and Swiffer pads.

Thank you!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1656 posts
1055 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
I use a Vileda mop.
Like this one Amazon

It's awesome. I have like 10 mop heads and use 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the bathrooms, 2 for the upstairs and 2 for the downstairs. Just throw in the laundry when done.
Sep 28, 2003
717 posts
372 upvotes
I've been using a steam mop for several months and it's pretty good (https://www.amazon.ca/Smart-Living-Stea ... ast_sto_dp). I got it from Costco for about $100 though. It heats up fast and lifts dirt off the floor pretty well. The only place where it doesn't do so well are on my textured tiles. It's best on smooth floors and worst on anything with crevices. One fill of the water reservoir and you can mop about 500-600 sqft. You can see how dirty the pads get and you throw them in the washer when you're done. Pretty easy and it came with quite a few pads. There was also a carpet attachment that allows it to slide on carpet easily. The handle can be angled to make it easier to mop under things but I've never used it. You can also detach the handle and use it on your counters to sanitize them.

I wouldn't say this brand is an absolute buy but a steam mop in general has been pretty good.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
399 posts
509 upvotes
We have an old Steam Mop that left our floors really wet.

I think I’ve decided on the Bissel Spinwave (your link)

It’s on sale for $149 at Canadian Tire, comes with multiple pads and solution (which I’m sure I can use my existing Mr Clean liquid) and seems easy to use

I like that it does the scrubbing for me, unlike a traditional mop where I’m gassed by the time I’m done scrubbing my kitchen, living room and dining room.

Thanks for all the replies 👍🏾
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5956 posts
2377 upvotes
Kanata
kittypink wrote: I use a Vileda mop.
Like this one Amazon

It's awesome. I have like 10 mop heads and use 1 for the kitchen, 1 for the bathrooms, 2 for the upstairs and 2 for the downstairs. Just throw in the laundry when done.
It's great when it works but out of the 3 family households all have failed within an year. The nozzle just stops spraying, thought I could fix it but couldn't. I think a traditional mop may leave too much water on the hardwood.
toguy wrote: Steam mops are OK on tile, but personally, I would avoid on hardwood. We use one of these and have found it does a pretty good job:

https://canada.bissell.com/bissell-spin ... 20391.html
Interesting, never knew this exists. Thanks for the post.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1514 posts
830 upvotes
TORONTO
I vote for a Steam Mop. Preferably a bissel (which I have). I was a big swiffer wetjet user for years. But when I started to use microfibre towels in substitution of the swiffer pads it kind of pushed me further into getting a steam mop.

From use the (Bissel Powerfresh) has been amazing on my tiled floors. It has the option to spot treat and works amazing on grout lines. Like a couple of seconds and the discolouration is gone.
I use it on my hardwood floors but on the low setting. I don't leave it to sit on my hardwood long and it comes out a lot cleaner than my swiffer.
I also purchased the carpet glider. It helps so much for deodorizing my carpets. So it's become a muti-cleaning tool I use often.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2008
399 posts
509 upvotes
In addition to the waste of Swiffer pads, it doesn't help with the actual scrubbing.

I'd still be doing my best Curling impersonation while scrubbing floors

This is the Bissel on sale at Canadian Tire right now.

BISSELL SpinWave™ Lightweight Hard Floor Spin Mop & Polisher

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/biss ... 8170p.html

Great reviews from what I've read, assuming I don't get a defective unit.

$149 seems like a sweet spot for an electric mop that will hopefully last me a few years.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1448 posts
1537 upvotes
ON
We have been using the below steam mop for sometime now. The reason we selected this one is that it also detaches and converts to a handheld steamer which is very handy especially around the kitchen and washroom.

Steam mop

We had also looked at the Spinwave mentioned above and while the idea of spinning mop pads looks good, we wanted a mop with steam and just use plain water without any kind of cleaning solutions.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Sep 28, 2003
717 posts
372 upvotes
I did look at the spinning mops and considered it over the steam mop. Just ended up with the steam mop because I didn't want to use the spray mop that didn't have much scrubbing power. The only thing about the spin mop that I wasn't sure about was how it handled edges and corners since the mop pad is round.