Credit Cards

Best "Everything Else" Credit Card? - What Do You Use?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 10:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto

Best "Everything Else" Credit Card? - What Do You Use?

There should be a go-to, everything else" card. This is, a card that doesn't fall into any of the typical categories (grocery, gas, travel, etc) ...

I need a new "everything else" since I have a lot of spending there. What cards do you like?
Last edited by DaVibe on Jul 3rd, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5823 posts
7185 upvotes
Montreal
DaVibe wrote: There should be a go-to, everything else" card. This is, a card that doesn't fall into any of the typical categories (grocery, gas, travel, etc) ...

I need a new "everything else" since I have a lot of spending there. What cards do you like?
It depends on how much you spend and what you're looking for, i.e., cashback, travel rewards, etc. The Amex Simply Cash Preferred gives you 2% cashback, but has an annual fee. You would need to compare that with the earn rate on a no-AF card relative to your spending. There is no "best" everything else card for everyone, but there is a best everything else card for each person.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: It depends on how much you spend and what you're looking for, i.e., cashback, travel rewards, etc. The Amex Simply Cash Preferred gives you 2% cashback, but has an annual fee. You would need to compare that with the earn rate on a no-AF card relative to your spending. There is no "best" everything else card for everyone, but there is a best everything else card for each person.
Spend is a lot. Doesn't matter what it is, I just want the best PERCENTAGE. BEST. I'll decipher from there.

For example, I wouldn't go with AMEX because of its acceptance rate.

There's always popular cards here on RFD lol

Personally, I have every category filled except this one. The "Everything Else" category. For example, the $30 I dropped at Dollarama today.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 24, 2017
6495 posts
5176 upvotes
- MBNA RWE: 2% on everything. $120 AF.
- HSBC WE: 3% on travel, 1.5% on everything else. No FX. Net $49 AF ($149 - $100 annual credit).
- Rogers WE: 3% on everything in USD, 1.5% on everything else. No AF.
- Brim WE: 2% on everything (first 25K purchases, 1% afterwards). FYF, $199 thereafter.
Last edited by EdisonL299 on Jul 3rd, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 16, 2007
1886 posts
2249 upvotes
MBNA RWE is 1.67% on cash redemption, 2% on non-cash.

Some Collabria higher cards (such as World) are 2%, including for redemption against balance on the card.
Banking: Alterna Bank (2%), Motive Financial (3%)
Investing: National Bank Direct Brokerage
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Mobile: Eastlink 10GB Rollover ($45/mth)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5823 posts
7185 upvotes
Montreal
DaVibe wrote: Spend is a lot. Doesn't matter what it is, I just want the best PERCENTAGE. BEST. I'll decipher from there.

For example, I wouldn't go with AMEX because of its acceptance rate.

There's always popular cards here on RFD lol

Personally, I have every category filled except this one. The "Everything Else" category. For example, the $30 I dropped at Dollarama today.
Here is a list of most credit cards with "everything else" earn rates above 1%: list-cards-offer-base-everything-else-e ... 1-2177215/ thanks to @HermanH

Two things I would point out:
The percentages shown for some of the cards (e.g., RBC WestJet World Elite MC, RBC Avion VIP, TD Aeroplan VIP, etc) are a "minimum" earn rate. You could easily get much higher if you redeem wisely.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4373 upvotes
BC
Non-category spend is good to meet MSR on churn cards. Even if you churn just one card per year, squeezing out 0.25-0.5% additional regular earn rate on 'everything else' becomes insignificant.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
DaVibe wrote: Spend is a lot. Doesn't matter what it is, I just want the best PERCENTAGE. BEST ... I wouldn't go with AMEX because of its acceptance rate ... I have every category filled except this one. The "Everything Else" category. For example, the $30 I dropped at Dollarama today.
You want the best rate regardless of AF, yet you won't look at Amex?

You give the example of the $30 you spent at Dollarama today. You do realise, that they take Amex?
.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: You want the best rate regardless of AF, yet you won't look at Amex?

You give the example of the $30 you spent at Dollarama today. You do realise, that they take Amex?
Sure, but you and I both know AMEX is not Visa or American Express. Personal preference.
I've had AMEX numerous times and some times it's difficult to use.

Anyways like I said, just wanted a few responses about "best" ... This is already better than about 4 threads I checked prior to posting so, much appreciated.
Last edited by DaVibe on Jul 3rd, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto
rhw123 wrote: Non-category spend is good to meet MSR on churn cards. Even if you churn just one card per year, squeezing out 0.25-0.5% additional regular earn rate on 'everything else' becomes insignificant.
True but this is usually above that. However, I haven't gone that route in a bit so that's worth considering, that is for the reminder.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15528 posts
14038 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Lolz most of my cards have "accelerators".

Since OP is now considering churning, I'd say this thread's title could be updated with "[Solved]" in order to minimize downvotes (given how often new threads are created for this topic, especially when a CC gets nerfed).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
*emojis removed for rule violations*
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Lolz most of my cards have "accelerators".

Since OP is now considering churning, I'd say this thread's title could be updated with "[Solved]" in order to minimize downvotes (given how often new threads are created for this topic, especially when a CC gets nerfed).
I still enjoy people's feedback on their daily cards. We have a daily thread but this was a bit of an extension from that.

I was using TD Visa Infinite Travel as a "everything else" but it seems like most equate it to 1% now (swear it was more) so I thought a thread was due.

I went back a few pages, didn't see anything like this, sorry. I don't mind the down votes from like minded people, it's fine :D
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15528 posts
14038 upvotes
Going to the Moon
DaVibe wrote: I still enjoy people's feedback on their daily cards. We have a daily thread but this was a bit of an extension from that.

I was using TD Visa Infinite Travel as a "everything else" but it seems like most equate it to 1% now (swear it was more) so I thought a thread was due.

I went back a few pages, didn't see anything like this, sorry. I don't mind the down votes from like minded people, it's fine :D
@efrant linked the base earn rate cards thread already.

The card you mention is TD First Class Travel. It's 3 pts per $1 spent, pts are 0.5cpp on Expedia4TD, or 0.4cpp on misc travel, or 0.25cpp as "cashback". That's a 1.5/1.2/0.75% return.

You'll have to run a matrix on your spend, but more importantly set a goal on how much you'd like to feasibly earn in CC rewards. Basically...
  1. earn <$500/yr and you might have one or two CC's that are nothing special (or you don't spend much)
  2. earn $1-3k/yr and you either really optimized rewards on significant spend, or you're churning, or both
  3. earn $4-9k/yr and you know the game well. You either have real high organic spend (potentially put some business spend on personal cards), you manufacture spend, you aggressively churn, etc.
  4. earn $10k+/yr you're deep into the game, and/or you funnel heavy business spend. You also know how to maximize transferring pts to FFP's

As you can see, a 1-2% base earn card is trivial when it comes to scaling rewards. I did the math for myself and my fallback card to AmEx (I use CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE) gives me a better return than carrying a 1.5-2% card, since most spend on that card ends up in the 3x or bill pay (where I'd earn nothing otherwise). Sure I could throw a base earn card into my wallet and wheel in an extra $10-50/yr in cashback or whatever, but it's simply not worth carrying the additional card for such a trivial incremental game.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
*emojis removed for rule violations*
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: my fallback card to AmEx (I use CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE) gives me a better return than carrying a 1.5-2% card, since most spend on that card ends up in the 3x or bill pay (where I'd earn nothing otherwise).
My vote also goes to Triangle WE.

Tux, out of interest, is Cobalt your only Amex, or do you have others (whether Canadian or US issued)?
.
titaniumtux wrote: Sure I could throw a base earn card into my wallet and wheel in an extra $10-50/yr in cashback or whatever
Hey, that'd get you another bag of sod Face With Tears Of Joy
.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15528 posts
14038 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: My vote also goes to Triangle WE.

Tux, out of interest, is Cobalt your only Amex, or do you have others (whether Canadian or US issued)?
.


Hey, that'd get you another bag of sod Face With Tears Of Joy
For now only have Cobalt. I had SimplyCash Preferred in 2018 and the basic AirMiles AmEx several years ago. My plan is to acquire the AmEx BBP from the US once I can align it with hitting MSR in USD.

Side note...sod comes in rolls, not bags :lol: but remember they gave me 50% back through an offer in eCTM? Than alone would get me more CTC merch :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
*emojis removed for rule violations*
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: @efrant linked the base earn rate cards thread already.

The card you mention is TD First Class Travel. It's 3 pts per $1 spent, pts are 0.5cpp on Expedia4TD, or 0.4cpp on misc travel, or 0.25cpp as "cashback". That's a 1.5/1.2/0.75% return.

You'll have to run a matrix on your spend, but more importantly set a goal on how much you'd like to feasibly earn in CC rewards. Basically...
  1. earn <$500/yr and you might have one or two CC's that are nothing special (or you don't spend much)
  2. earn $1-3k/yr and you either really optimized rewards on significant spend, or you're churning, or both
  3. earn $4-9k/yr and you know the game well. You either have real high organic spend (potentially put some business spend on personal cards), you manufacture spend, you aggressively churn, etc.
  4. earn $10k+/yr you're deep into the game, and/or you funnel heavy business spend. You also know how to maximize transferring pts to FFP's

As you can see, a 1-2% base earn card is trivial when it comes to scaling rewards. I did the math for myself and my fallback card to AmEx (I use CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE) gives me a better return than carrying a 1.5-2% card, since most spend on that card ends up in the 3x or bill pay (where I'd earn nothing otherwise). Sure I could throw a base earn card into my wallet and wheel in an extra $10-50/yr in cashback or whatever, but it's simply not worth carrying the additional card for such a trivial incremental game.
I have the Canadian Tire WE, among some other cards. Guess I should consider a switch.

What's the "everything else" on the Canadian Tire World Elite? 1%
They are hiding this info on the card profile page.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
DaVibe wrote: What's the "everything else" on the Canadian Tire World Elite? 1%. They are hiding this info on the card profile page.
They're not hiding it.

Given it's not promoted, they'd be within their rights to give you Zero percent for everything else. Or a measly 0.5% like on so many other No AF cards for non-accelerated category spend.

In fact, their old Options MC only paid 0.8%, gauging from legacy info. floating around online.

So, let's be happy that it pays 1%. As they say, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. Solely to be used (of course) on those bill payments.
.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
24142 posts
12177 upvotes
Toronto
banker8 wrote: They're not hiding it.

Given it's not promoted, they'd be within their rights to give you Zero percent for everything else. Or a measly 0.5% like on so many other No AF cards for non-accelerated category spend.

In fact, their old Options MC only paid 0.8%, gauging from legacy info. floating around online.

So, let's be happy that it pays 1%. As they say, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. Solely to be used (of course) on those bill payments.
Well they are not advertising it, so therefore ...

Most card companies would GLADLY tell you that they are giving you 1%, heck that's a PERK for most cards.
They've got a lot going on, the page is filled with info, but it's not clearly stated what's going on, which is unusual to me after applying for how many cards over the years.

Anyways, there's some ideas here to look over, which is good. Probably time to cancel some and start fresh :D

And that bill payment thing, I'm leaving that for another day. Haven't gone down that route yet. I got the card for some gas trickery at the pumps.
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares

Top