• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2021 3:10 pm
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west

Best fire pit cover

Upgrading my Costco Fire Pit to an open bowl one. Going from a massive open firepit on an acreage to an enclosed one, just isnt cutting it

What is a good water proof round one, for a 50" round firepit

I used one on this one from Canadian Tire, and it worked very well, my current firepit looks brand new. But they dont carry the size I need. It was actually a BBQ cover, but someone on here said the model fit this Costco one perfectly and it did

This is the model here

https://www.peaveymart.com/outdoor-livi ... pit/520289
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 24th, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
49 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Be careful. There are by laws on how big an outdoor flame can be.

They will all rust eventually. Unless you go stainless steel...which is hard to find.
Or hire a metal shop to fabricate one for you....not cheap.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
BDSL wrote: Be careful. There are by laws on how big an outdoor flame can be.

They will all rust eventually. Unless you go stainless steel...which is hard to find.
Or hire a metal shop to fabricate one for you....not cheap.
Already purchased.

Did I ask anywhere about bylaws?

Why would I go to a metal shop when I bought one. Does the post ask about buying a firepit?

Squirrel
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 25th, 2021 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
BDSL wrote: Already purchased 50" cover?
Already purchased the firepit. YOu gave answers to questions I never asked,
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Because you were telling people about your massive firepit....
I have friends who got fined before on their property....with police and fire department showing up.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
BDSL wrote: Because you were telling people about your massive firepit....
I have friends who got fined before on their property....with police and fire department showing up.
Firepit is 46" in diameter. Already have a permit for a firepit, as long as its the distance required from the house and fences, you can have as big as you want.

So thats why I asked about a firepit cover, not any of the info you provided.

Why would I want an answer from someone bout bylaws for an area they you know nothing about. I dont care what happened to your friends
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 25th, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
WikkiWikki wrote: Firepit is 46" in diameter. Already have a permit for a firepit, as long as its the distance required from the house and fences, you can have as big as you want.

So thats why I asked about a firepit cover, not any of the info you provided.

Why would I ask about bylaws for an area you know nothing about
I answered you in post #2. I told you the metal cover will eventually rust unless it is made of stainless steel. I assume you need a metal cover...not just some fabric one that is a potential hazard. I have fabricated (welding) outdoor woodstove before.

And just because you have a permit for the open firepit, it doesn't mean you can have a fire as big as you want....
https://www.barrie.ca/Living/Emergency% ... rmits.aspx
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
We use an old sheet piece of aluminium at the cottage my Dad scrounged somewhere over the years. A piece of steel roofing would do as well. Ours isnt pretty, but works like a charm for 15 years plus. Probably worth a bundle as scrap.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: We use an old sheet piece of aluminium at the cottage my Dad scrounged somewhere over the years. A piece of steel roofing would do as well. Ours isnt pretty, but works like a charm for 15 years plus. Probably worth a bundle as scrap.
If I am him, I would just find a scrap steel metal sheet, weld a few legs on it, and spray paint with high temp paint.
A few years later, when rust shows up, I would grind them off, and repaint...
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
BDSL wrote: I answered you in post #2. I told you the metal cover will eventually rust unless it is made of stainless steel. I assume you need a metal cover...not just some fabric one that is a potential hazard. I have fabricated (welding) outdoor woodstove before.

And just because you have a permit for the open firepit, it doesn't mean you can have a fire as big as you want....
Just a point.......
OP may not live in the centre of the universe. There are different rules and regulations in different parts of Canada.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
walleye*guy wrote: Just a point.......
OP may not live in the centre of the universe. There are different rules and regulations in different parts of Canada.
1 hour south west of Toronto, there are no rules unless someone calls it in.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: We use an old sheet piece of aluminium at the cottage my Dad scrounged somewhere over the years. A piece of steel roofing would do as well. Ours isnt pretty, but works like a charm for 15 years plus. Probably worth a bundle as scrap.
Won't work. This has a height adjustable swing away grill.

Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 24th, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
BDSL wrote: I answered you in post #2. I told you the metal cover will eventually rust unless it is made of stainless steel. I assume you need a metal cover...not just some fabric one that is a potential hazard. I have fabricated (welding) outdoor woodstove before.

You answered a question I never asked. I asked for the best firepit cover. Not your opinion on permits and rusting

My current one has no rust because of my cover. So I just be doing something right
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
BDSL wrote:
If I am him, I would just find a scrap steel metal sheet, weld a few legs on it, and spray paint with high temp paint.
A few years later, when rust shows up, I would grind them off, and repaint...
Sure could ifno wanted to have a piece of shit in my back yard. I don't have a welder. Don't want to build one. Hence I bought one. You know, with money.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
WikkiWikki wrote: Sure could ifno wanted to have a piece of shit in my back yard. I don't have a welder. Don't want to build one. Hence I bought one
Well, it depends on how good you are with your hands. It doesn't have to be a piece of sh*t....
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
walleye*guy wrote: Just a point.......
It seems to be the norm of alot of people from Ontario on this forum. Not all, but alot

Come in here, and didnt even answer the question asked. To maybe show he has more knowledge them me. Then pipes up about some friend he has that got the cops called on them. Whats the point, was that what I asked. Did I ask anwywhere in the post on what type of firepit I should get, the size Im allowed. I dont care what happened to your friends, it doesnt even pertain to the question

He said two things, that didnt answer the questions. And still hasnt, now hes onto making it on his own

Its like they need to let strangers know their knowledge for some reason
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
BDSL wrote: Well, it depends on how good you are with your hands. It doesn't have to be a piece of sh*t....
Here, build this then

You have no knowledge on my accessibility to scrap metal, a welder, or a friend with a welder.

And sometimes, crazy as it sounds, sometimes people just want to spend money on something they like.
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 24th, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
WikkiWikki wrote: My current one has no rust because of my cover. So I just be doing something right
Your current firepit has no rust because it is fairly new...according to your first post. Give it a few years and you will see the rust.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
WikkiWikki wrote: Here, build this then

You have no knowledge on my accessibility to scrap metal, a welder, or a friend with a welder.

And sometimes, crazy as it sounds, sometimes people just want to spend money on something they like.
Link is broken...
Did I not say "hire a metal shop to fabricate one for you....not cheap" in the 2nd post?

And sorry, I don't like to work for with people who don't know what they want and no clear scope of work. It is a nightmare.
Last edited by BDSL on Jun 24th, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.