• Feb 11th, 2019 8:00 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
jenviea wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 10:20 pm
In NOW magazine's recetn Fish'N'Chips round up, I see some of the joints mentioned in this thread

https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/food/batter-up/
No one seems to have mentioned the first place in the article - The Battered Fish.
This seafood chain boasts roughly a dozen locations around Halifax. Its first Ontario outpost, which punches up a mostly charmless fast-food environment with hits of yellow, has a wide menu of surf-and-turf delights, but your fish and chip choices include cod and more cod. That's unusual among Toronto's option-happy fry shops, but these guys go to the trouble of sourcing their seafood back east - and it pays off. The cod is light and flaky, immersed in a paper-thin shell of beer batter (breading and panko crumbs are also available).
Jun 24, 2008
7 posts
6 upvotes
nippleholic wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 10:39 pm
I'm just going to post this as a memorial to one of the most underrated fish & chip places in the city:

I used to go to this place all the time when I was a kid. The owners retired a few years ago and now it's a Japanese place.
You may or may not recall a Macedonian couple running the shop back between 1954-1959.
Lily and Mike Arsovsky established Woodgreen Fish and Chips around 1954.
"Woodgreen Fish & Chips" were etched on the glass by Lily's cousin Danny Metoff, from Cleveland.

They sold the business around 1959, though it survived another 50 years through 2009.
Lily and Mike opened another shop further east along Queen Street, "Carlaw Fish & Chips".
(They leased it to a Chinese couple from 1964-74, then ran D. Arsovsky Real Estate until about 1980)

My mother, Lillian (nee Todorova) passed in 1996. Our granddaughter is named Lillian, in her honour.
My father Dimitar "Mitko" Arsovsky passed in 2014. Our daughter greatly misses her Baba and Dedo.

Thanks for memorializing Woodgreen Fish and Chips for its irresistible fresh Ontario halibut and PEI potatoes.
I've attached a photo of Woodgreen Fish and Chips from the late 50's, with its original Coca-Cola sign :-).

Cheers!
Ted Arsovsky in Niagara Region
Images
  • Woodgreen Fish & Chips.jpg
Jun 24, 2008
7 posts
6 upvotes
rammingman wrote:
May 30th, 2010 6:30 pm
But good fish and chips could be had at woodgreen fish and chips at get this queen and degrassi right near Jimmie Simpson. My first taste of malt vingear there.
Just posted a reply to another poster about Woodgreen Fish and Chips.
I too was raised on malt vinegar ... by Woodgreen's owner ... my Dad!

Cheers!
Ted in Niagara Region
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tedsky wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 2:39 am
Just posted a reply to another poster about Woodgreen Fish and Chips.
I too was raised on malt vinegar ... by Woodgreen's owner ... my Dad!

Cheers!
Ted in Niagara Region
I grew up in the Broadview / Gerrard area. There was a Fish and Chips store on Broadview just south of Gerrard on the east side. They were open in the 80s. Does anyone have a picture or remember the nane of that place?

Everything was wrapped in newspaper and they always slid a wooden fork into the side. Fish batter crumbs were always free.
Last edited by Gee on Sep 21st, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23362 posts
8304 upvotes
Toronto
White Comet wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:46 pm
Is there any good Fish & Chips in Markham/Richmond Hill? I go to Halibut house at Hwy7 and 9th line, not bad, but wondering if there's anything better. Thanks
I go to Allencourt Restaurant (Dollar store plaza) most of the time. Pretty good halibut and chips. Pricey though. $20 tax, tips included.

In this forum, there are others who had gone to Amy's fish & chips at near Elgin Mills & Leslie (Starbucks plaza) indicated positive experience.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
3382 posts
242 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:23 pm
I go to Allencourt Restaurant (Dollar store plaza) most of the time. Pretty good halibut and chips. Pricey though. $20 tax, tips included.

In this forum, there are others who had gone to Amy's fish & chips at near Elgin Mills & Leslie (Starbucks plaza) indicated positive experience.
wow $20 Face Screaming In Fear I guess the place that I go to is just too cheap, around $7 per. Will check out both places. Thanks
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23362 posts
8304 upvotes
Toronto
White Comet wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:39 pm
wow $20 Face Screaming In Fear I guess the place that I go to is just too cheap, around $7 per. Will check out both places. Thanks
I think it's really price around $15 and then taxes and tips ... $20 .. Fish itself is just a piece ... not gigantic in size, I would say ordinary and typical in those mom & pop type of FC establishments.

check out Amy's F&C first and then tell us here. If it is good, then I will go in the near future. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4051 posts
644 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:31 pm
I grew up in the Broadview / Gerrard area. There was a Fish and Chips store on Broadview just south of Gerrard on the east side. They were open in the 80s. Does anyone have a picture or remember the mane of that place?
Wow. I know the place you're talking about as my family lived in that area as well. Don't remember the name of the fish and chips shop but we used to go there on weekends.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
2223 posts
757 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 2:31 pm
I grew up in the Broadview / Gerrard area. There was a Fish and Chips store on Broadview just south of Gerrard on the east side. They were open in the 80s. Does anyone have a picture or remember the mane of that place?

Everything was wrapped in newspaper and they always slid a wooden fork into the side. Fish batter crumbs were always free.
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 7:04 pm
Wow. I know the place you're talking about as my family lived in that area as well. Don't remember the name of the fish and chips shop but we used to go there on weekends.
The name of the place was Crown Fish & Chips and it truly was a real gem. It was my all-time favorite F&C place and I had to allow Woodgreen, B&B and Parkside F&C shops all in the east end substitute when Crown disappeared.

When we were kids, we always got "fish crumbs" for free with our chips wrapped in newspaper because we couldn't afford F&C being young children on our school lunch break. I absolutely miss this place dearly and wished it never closed. It seriously scarred my childhood when it was gone permanently. :(

Sorry, I don't have a photo of my all-time favorite fish and chips shop.
Last edited by Mr_Fanta on Sep 21st, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23362 posts
8304 upvotes
Toronto
My dad ran a grocery store on 357 broadview in the late 70's - mid 80's. Crown was only 2-3 stores away and I often go there to get my fish and chips there when I was helping out in my dad's store
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 7:23 pm
When we were kids, we always got "fish crumbs" for free with our chips wrapped in newspaper because we couldn't afford F&C being young children on our school lunch break. I absolutely miss this place dearly and wished it never closed. It seriously scarred my childhood when it was gone permanently. :(

Sorry, I don't have a photo of my all-time favorite fish and chips shop.
I went to “Queen A” and during the lunch break we would either go to Donway for fries and gravy or run up to Gerrard for fish and chips if we had a little extra money.

I miss those days. Current photo. It is Sing Sing BBQ

C4DE3A63-DB03-4D8C-BF00-103C5C226EE7.jpeg

I remember Crown Fish & Chips being next to Eva’s Gift & Variety