Best Fish and Chips in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 8:00 pm
May 7, 2008
597 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
That's some crazy memory you got.

Eva's Gift & Variety was dirtiest convenience store ever. Owner was really creepy. My brother and I would go in there as kids and it was like a bit of a haunted house for us.
Gee wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:38 pm
I went to “Queen A” and during the lunch break we would either go to Donway for fries and gravy or run up to Gerrard for fish and chips if we had a little extra money.

I miss those days. Current photo. It is Sing Sing BBQ

C4DE3A63-DB03-4D8C-BF00-103C5C226EE7.jpeg

I remember Crown Fish & Chips being next to Eva’s Gift & Variety
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20202 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:48 pm
I think it's really price around $15 and then taxes and tips ... $20 .. Fish itself is just a piece ... not gigantic in size, I would say ordinary and typical in those mom & pop type of FC establishments.

check out Amy's F&C first and then tell us here. If it is good, then I will go in the near future. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I still haven't had a chance to try Allencourt Fish N Chips in the Dollarama plaza - will definitely try it soon but trying to cut back on my fried food consumption...

I have tried Amy's Fish & Chips on Elgin Mills and Leslie (same plaza as the Starbucks but the other end).

Amy's fish & Chips are good - batter is nice and light, the oil isn't old or stale and their fries are good - same with their onion rings. Similar gripe to booblehead is that Amy's F&C is pricey...2 pcs of fish and chips is $12.95 + taxes + tips....

The pieces of fish are not huge by any means - as a guy, I can easily eat the 2 pcs of fish and chips and still have a little bit more room.

My wife really likes Amy's F&C - she isn't a big eater and loves the light batter....
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1761 posts
491 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 11:38 pm
I went to “Queen A” and during the lunch break we would either go to Donway for fries and gravy or run up to Gerrard for fish and chips if we had a little extra money.

I miss those days. Current photo. It is Sing Sing BBQ

C4DE3A63-DB03-4D8C-BF00-103C5C226EE7.jpeg

I remember Crown Fish & Chips being next to Eva’s Gift & Variety
booblehead wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 8:02 pm
My dad ran a grocery store on 357 broadview in the late 70's - mid 80's. Crown was only 2-3 stores away and I often go there to get my fish and chips there when I was helping out in my dad's store
Passed by recently and was convinced that Crown Fish & Chips was actually located at 353 Broadview Avenue which is now Tung Hing Bakery and not where Sing Sing BBQ is now. I've come to this conclusion because Gee stated that Crown was located next door to Eva's Smoke & Gift Shop which was actually 355 Broadview Avenue. Details on site below.

http://govdataca.com/toronto-business.p ... 50-0213187

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22341 posts
7375 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 9:57 pm
I still haven't had a chance to try Allencourt Fish N Chips in the Dollarama plaza - will definitely try it soon but trying to cut back on my fried food consumption...

I have tried Amy's Fish & Chips on Elgin Mills and Leslie (same plaza as the Starbucks but the other end).

Amy's fish & Chips are good - batter is nice and light, the oil isn't old or stale and their fries are good - same with their onion rings. Similar gripe to booblehead is that Amy's F&C is pricey...2 pcs of fish and chips is $12.95 + taxes + tips....

The pieces of fish are not huge by any means - as a guy, I can easily eat the 2 pcs of fish and chips and still have a little bit more room.

My wife really likes Amy's F&C - she isn't a big eater and loves the light batter....
I just tried out Amy's F&C and had the 2 pcs of Halibut and chips. Overall, it is alright, but I still prefer Allencourt .. maybe I had this so many times that my brain is now being wired to their style. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20202 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:50 pm
I just tried out Amy's F&C and had the 2 pcs of Halibut and chips. Overall, it is alright, but I still prefer Allencourt .. maybe I had this so many times that my brain is now being wired to their style. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
noiiiceee - I'll definitely have to try Allencourt F&C now - Amy's F&C aren't the traditional style - almost like a tempura-like style as the batter is light...not like ye ol' English style F&C...

Will try Allencourt this week and report back!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22341 posts
7375 upvotes
Toronto

Here is what Allencourt's typical Halibut f&c portion. I opt out the coleslaw and they gave me more fries instead.

ji2o0k wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 1:07 pm
noiiiceee - I'll definitely have to try Allencourt F&C now - Amy's F&C aren't the traditional style - almost like a tempura-like style as the batter is light...not like ye ol' English style F&C...

Will try Allencourt this week and report back!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20202 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, so I finally tried Allencourt's F&C....

I have to say, their fries are money.....really really good.....

The fish I had was ginormous...a little too big I think as the meat was a little tough in certain spots....the batter is nice but mine was a little too thick..

I ordered 2 orders of fish n chips n onion rings...my wife's order had smaller fish pieces and these were really good.

Their onion rings are good too..

All-in all-in very good...another choice for me as my wife prefers Amy's tempura style F&C...good call bobblehead!

P.S. I saw pics of their chicken club sammy, that looked good too!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22341 posts
7375 upvotes
Toronto
Yup. Their fries are very good indeed, esp. the crunchy ones Face Savouring Delicious Food
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22341 posts
7375 upvotes
Toronto
Halibut House is coming to Thornhill

added new location is at Bathurst/Clark . Walmart plaza or right across from Starbucks.

Drove by the area days ago and saw their signages but not ready to be opened just yet. it is doing reno now and may be ready in a few weeks time. I don't believe there are any other competition nearby for F&C.

Is it the best ? I cannot say until I try it. But for me, Allencourt Restaurant is still my go-to FC place.

http://www.halibuthouse.ca/
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1051 posts
290 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Tartar sauce in a package from Sysco? No half-way decent f&c place would use that. Its so easy to make, no reason why they shouldn't.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6134 posts
1595 upvotes
Markham
Maybe it's me but I find Fish and Chips to be really expensive at these joints. The fish is usually cut pretty thin so I can't imagine it costing a lot so why does it cost $15 for a plate of food.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22341 posts
7375 upvotes
Toronto
halibut is the most expensive fish (@ F&C place). I agree. typically, it would cost $20 for a simple halibut (probably around 3-4 oz at most) & chips meal (taxes and tips included). In the supermarket, I see them sell for around $15 per lb, while there are Asian supermarkets sell the halibut at around $8-9 per lb.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6134 posts
1595 upvotes
Markham
Cheapest price fish is likely BASA filets.

Reebee flyer shows Asian Delite Basa Fish Fillet $1.99 (reg is $2.99) for 360 gm (looks like two fillets).
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!