Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6140 posts
1600 upvotes
Markham
booblehead wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:05 pm
I hate Basa ...
Once you've taken off the skin, and cooked it you likely might not even know when someone is serving you Basa. Just sayin there's a ton of fish fraud out there.
As Dr. Seuss once wrote about about....I don't like green eggs and ham!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10192 posts
4815 upvotes
Toronto
Danny's Fish and Chips in Markham along HWY 7.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1072 posts
409 upvotes
North York, ON
Sea Witch on St, Clair. Owner/ cook used to cook @ Pemrose on Mt. Pleasant- was highly regarded by Fish & Chips connoisseurs. Fries and fish cooked in beef fat. Leftover fries freeze very well. Generous portions and halibut is always market priced. Stay away Fri. as the place is a mad house. Eat in, delivery and take out. Tarter sauce homemade.

http://www.seawitchfc.com/
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1052 posts
290 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Yes I've been to Sea Witch. Some complain that the batter is too thick but you do get a nice piece of fish under all that batter - which I like. Their chips are also very good.
Oct 23, 2017
582 posts
316 upvotes
GTA West
Here's an observation: The best Fish and Chippers I have eaten at in recent years have been owned by Chinese who do the frying too. Tartan in Oakville, the defunct Pier 39 in Burlington, Halibut House in Burlington.

Fish and Chips is a simple meal that requires top quality ingredients and exacting quality control to be really good, which is why so many places manage to screw it up. Consistency is what makes a great Fish and Chip place.

I was anxious to try Fish and Chips at the famous Borough market in London (UK) - it seemed like such an authentic place. But the batter was oily and soggy - a big let down. However they had a great curry sauce on the side that I wish someone would do here. The "authentic" places here are serving the mushy peas of yesteryear, but have not picked up on curry sauce which is I assume a newer trend in the UK?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1764 posts
491 upvotes
It's been my tradition to have fish & chips on Good Friday for many years. This year I'll be in the Yonge/Sheppard area for that day. Any recommendations for good F&C in that neighborhood?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1050 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:50 pm
Yes I've been to Sea Witch. Some complain that the batter is too thick but you do get a nice piece of fish under all that batter - which I like. Their chips are also very good.
It was good but not great. I went to try it out based on Reviews that i read. I found the batter a bit too thick. Overall not bad. Thh fries was good.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1764 posts
491 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 8:50 am
None in the area.
Guess we'll have to take a drive out of the Yonge/Sheppard area.

Does anyone know a place that still uses lard for their F&C cooking? Some of my friends won't go to a place that uses vegetable oil and said lard is better. LOL
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22349 posts
7382 upvotes
Toronto
just go to Olde Yorke or High Street
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13678 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
Halibut house will soon have a new location at Kingston road and Lawrence, along with many other already existing locations: http://www.halibuthouse.ca/locations/
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 11:46 am
Does anyone know a place that still uses lard for their F&C cooking? Some of my friends won't go to a place that uses vegetable oil and said lard is better. LOL
It is to my understanding that all HH locations are using Vegetable oil.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10192 posts
4815 upvotes
Toronto
Try Fox and Fiddle.
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 8:22 am
It's been my tradition to have fish & chips on Good Friday for many years. This year I'll be in the Yonge/Sheppard area for that day. Any recommendations for good F&C in that neighborhood?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 12, 2005
861 posts
103 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 9:45 am
It was good but not great. I went to try it out based on Reviews that i read. I found the batter a bit too thick. Overall not bad. Thh fries was good.
I love Sea Witch.

and they have pickerel all the time