Food & Drink

Best Fish and Chips in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 8:00 pm
Oct 22, 2007
30 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
If you are in South Etobicoke, try Fifth Street Fish & Chips aka New Toronto Fish & Chips off of Lakeshore Blvd. Same friendly family owner now for over 40 years...husband, wife and kids. The decor is from the 70's! It's a great place with really good home cooked comfort food fish and chips. They also have good onion rings when I had them last a few years ago.

For dealmaker, who thinks good fish and chips places are only owned by Chinese people........... Well, the owners of this place are Chinese.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14770 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto
I really like Sea Witch too but Halibut House (St. Clair West/Keele and Victoria Park/Danforth) and Kingsway are almost as good in my opinion. Fries at Sea Witch are better than both.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1768 posts
495 upvotes
Today (Good Friday) we first had F&C at St. Andrew's in Scarborough which was a busy sit down restaurant on this holiday. We left unsatisfied food wise and went for Round 2 of fish & chips at B&B in Leslieville. The halibut/chips there was just AWESOME at this takeaway only joint compared to the overrated St. Andrew's. It was so good, I'll even say it was better than Old Yorke's F&C. Gotta love these family owned Mom&Pop establishments for the best F&C in the city. Two thumbs up for B&B. Definitely the best F&C I've had in 2018 so far! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22384 posts
7408 upvotes
Toronto
I also tried out St. Andrew too a few yrs back, not impressed with their f&c at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1768 posts
495 upvotes
^ The blogTO didn't even include B&B in the Leslieville neighborhood.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/bbfishandchips/

Very glad we ended up at B&B. We went to both St. Andrew's and B&B fish and chips because my friends wanted places that still used lard instead of vegetable oil for the frying.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3306 posts
420 upvotes
pocketmichele wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 7:03 pm
If you are in South Etobicoke, try Fifth Street Fish & Chips aka New Toronto Fish & Chips off of Lakeshore Blvd. Same friendly family owner now for over 40 years...husband, wife and kids. The decor is from the 70's! It's a great place with really good home cooked comfort food fish and chips. They also have good onion rings when I had them last a few years ago.

For dealmaker, who thinks good fish and chips places are only owned by Chinese people........... Well, the owners of this place are Chinese.

One of my favorite places . Try Viking on Queensway across from Costco .
Mar 28, 2011
514 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
CEOofPopeyes wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:44 pm
Any recommendations near East York or nearby?
Did you see the 2nd post?

Olde Yorke

I just found out about Halibut House and their Sunday/Monday Haddock & Chips $8 special

Pretty good for the price

Will have to try their Wednesday King Cod & Chips $8 special
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11522 posts
1519 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
pocketmichele wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 7:03 pm
If you are in South Etobicoke, try Fifth Street Fish & Chips aka New Toronto Fish & Chips off of Lakeshore Blvd.
Is halibut that much more expensive than haddock?? Both are same size portions, fries, coleslaw... only the price is different. $12.95 vs $7.95. If so, haddock is the better deal. From menu...

Halibut $12.95

Haddock $7.95

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3713 posts
1324 upvotes
Mississauga
Halibut is a much better piece of fish and, for me, worth the premium over haddock.
Oct 22, 2007
30 posts
4 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Yes, there is usually quite a difference in price between the two. When it comes to deep fried, I go with the cheaper option as it all tastes the same coming out of the fryer. lol.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13695 posts
2342 upvotes
Toronto
Order the Haddock combo with an individual Halibut on the side. Compare the two that way.
(or better yet, blindfold yourself and see which one tastes better)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1554 posts
778 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:36 am
blindfold yourself and see which one tastes better
This #birdboxchallenge stuff has to stop.