Food & Drink

Best Fish and Chips in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 8:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5499 posts
403 upvotes
I notice many fish n' chips place use Basa fillet, because they are inexpensive.

Google for Basa fillet and see stories about this fish from Vietnam.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41081 posts
4873 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
DAmn this place brings back fuzzy memories....
Of visiting friends @ riverdale c.i., illegal gambling @ duc sing, followed by a few games of megatouch and street fighter...
then fish and chips to call it a day.

The fish and chips were only if you won big though... still $5 for the whole deal back then...
Where as you could get a freshly made deep fried chicken burger @ ducs for $2. lol
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2171 posts
2 upvotes
When I lived in Toronto I used to go to McNie's Fish and Chips near Burnhamthorpe Road and Martin grove, and there's also one on bloor street near Royal York. McNie's were definitely better!

I wish there were decent fish & chips places in Ottawa. A chippy's store recently opened up in Rideau centre, they were surprisingly good for the price, and they serve haddock, it was fresh!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3446 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
johntdsb wrote:
May 12th, 2010 9:25 am
British Style Fish and Chips on dundas and coxwell is the best. The fish portions are huge
nah, had it the other day...ordered halibut and saw the guy take 2 portions and dippedit in batter, then put it in fryer, both pieces stuck together which makes u think a large portion but actually not alot of fish to eat...chips were definetly not as good as chippys...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3234 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 12th, 2010 1:03 pm
Of visiting friends @ riverdale c.i., illegal gambling @ duc sing, followed by a few games of megatouch and street fighter...

The fish and chips were only if you won big though... still $5 for the whole deal back then...
Where as you could get a freshly made deep fried chicken burger @ ducs for $2. lol
don't forget 2pc and fries w/ gravy for 2.75

Ducs' owner transfered the business to somebody else a few years back and now that guy has closed down the business.

Pennys, now YummyHouse was just too much for them...
and chicken burger's have been inflating since then....it's up to 2.75 now @ YummyHouse
Aug 21, 2008
137 posts
Toronto
SoGood wrote:
May 20th, 2010 9:35 pm
don't forget 2pc and fries w/ gravy for 2.75

Ducs' owner transfered the business to somebody else a few years back and now that guy has closed down the business.

Pennys, now YummyHouse was just too much for them...
and chicken burger's have been inflating since then....it's up to 2.75 now @ YummyHouse
Yummy House is really good actually, I love their snacks and how good they are! Duc's burgers were amazing...and then it was so sad how he transfered the business :( no more great chicken burgers...
Oct 9, 2006
510 posts
54 upvotes
Is there any place in GTA that serves smoked haddock F&C?

(for my Scottish wife)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
545 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Nevyn wrote:
May 21st, 2010 1:58 am
Is there any place in GTA that serves smoked haddock F&C?

(for my Scottish wife)
I haven't seen it at F&C shops, but it is easy to buy and prepare at home.
My Mom's Finnan Haddie was a slab of smoked haddock from Loblaw, heated briefly in a simple white sauce, and served over buttered toast. Very good comfort food!
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Duckworths! :)

Finnan Haddie is really easy to make, stinks the place out though. :razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3234 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
clevergurl55 wrote:
May 20th, 2010 10:09 pm
Yummy House is really good actually, I love their snacks and how good they are! Duc's burgers were amazing...and then it was so sad how he transfered the business :( no more great chicken burgers...
Yea, I still occasionally go to YummyHouse for their chicken burger w/special sauce... and their prices for bubble tea and shakes are very reasonable.
Aug 25, 2006
424 posts
90 upvotes
Pickering
audit13 wrote:
May 2nd, 2009 10:23 pm
Wow, this place brings back memories. I went to Bruce Public School several decades ago and loved the fish & fries wrapped in newspaper.
Hey I went to Bruce PS decades ago too! Can't believe B&B is still around. So many fond memories. They used to hand out cones of fries for Halloween, remember that?! You could buy the cones back then for $.10. I'm definitely dropping by soon for nostalgia's sake.
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
895 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 12th, 2010 1:03 pm

wow duc sing that brings it back old school, the cops came in once and took polaroids of everyone and ended up saying this was a gang, come on we were 16 and 17 year olds, found out the cops were part of the Asian crime unit.

But good fish and chips could be had at woodgreen fish and chips at get this queen and degrassi right near Jimmie Simpson. My first taste of malt vingear there.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1890 posts
144 upvotes
The best fish and chips I've had were from Golden Crisp Fish & Chips at Jane & Weston. They have specials throughout the week (~$4) and their portions are decent. The fish is great and the fries are awesome.

Golden Crisp Fish & Chips Ltd‎
Write a review - more info »
1354 Weston Road
York, ON M6M 4R8
(416) 245-8839
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13352 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
BJC wrote:
May 2nd, 2009 12:37 pm
High Street Fish & Chips

55 Underhill Dr, Toronto, ON

(416) 510-8905

http://www.goodspot.ca/profile/1021
+1 for High Street. This is my goto place for fish and chips these days. Waitress there knows me well too :)

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Nov 29, 2006
224 posts
3 upvotes
BananaWeed wrote:
May 30th, 2010 6:50 pm
The best fish and chips I've had were from Golden Crisp Fish & Chips at Jane & Weston. They have specials throughout the week (~$4) and their portions are decent. The fish is great and the fries are awesome.

Golden Crisp Fish & Chips Ltd‎
Write a review - more info »
1354 Weston Road
York, ON M6M 4R8
(416) 245-8839
+1
Used to get them manyyyy years ago when they had a location at the Keele and Lawrence plaza.