Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes

Best free Android app for free Canada wide VOIP calls

I think I used Fongo, Free Phone Line or the one from Dell (forgot its name) in the past.

Or should I use Google Voice ? which allows me to call US free as well ? I do have a Google Voice US number which I signed up years ago.

What is the best one currently

By the way, does Hangouts Dialer basically replace Google Voice ? And I notice it now uses data vs Google Voice was using the minuites. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your advice.
14 replies
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
34 upvotes
Most current plans covers Canada-wide calling, eg Koodo Canada-wide 1GB for $45.

For international calls, there is Viber, totally free for voice calls, text & multimedia messaging, instant messaging.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
Only Fongo and fpl are options for free incoming and outgoing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Only Fongo and fpl are options for free incoming and outgoing.
I have fpl on my home phone handset. Can I login the same number and account on my cell? What about Hangouts from Google signed in with my GV number? Both Fongo and FPL apps are using VOIP, right?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1030 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
Since you have purchased the fpl sip credentials, you can use an android app like CSipSimple. It even has a fpl template in the setup. Just enter the password that fpl gave you. There are other similar apps like Keyyo.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
213 upvotes
rdx wrote: I have fpl on my home phone handset. Can I login the same number and account on my cell? What about Hangouts from Google signed in with my GV number? Both Fongo and FPL apps are using VOIP, right?
46jimbo wrote: Since you have purchased the fpl sip credentials, you can use an android app like CSipSimple. It even has a fpl template in the setup. Just enter the password that fpl gave you. There are other similar apps like Keyyo.
correct. I use it.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3322 upvotes
rdx wrote: What about Hangouts from Google signed in with my GV number?
You can call anywhere within Canada and the U.S. with Hangouts, and you can also receive and send texts and receive calls from your GV number using Hangouts.
Both Fongo and FPL apps are using VOIP, right?
FPL doesn't have a dedicated smartphone app the same way that Fongo Mobile does, but yes. Fongo Mobile is VoIP, and if you want to text, you will have to pay. FPL doesn't support texting.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
46jimbo wrote: Since you have purchased the fpl sip credentials, you can use an android app like CSipSimple. It even has a fpl template in the setup. Just enter the password that fpl gave you. There are other similar apps like Keyyo.
Ok, are those using VOIP to make call ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
I see. Then, it looks like GV is a better option.

I notice GV has changed since they launched Hangouts, right ? I remember it used to use the phone minutes to make calls. But now, it is using VOIP (data) for calling. Anyway, it is great to make free calls to US and Canada numbers.

By the way, I notice my Hangouts app setup has both my GV number and my cell phone number, does it mean GV will ring when people call either numbers ?

Webslinger wrote: You can call anywhere within Canada and the U.S. with Hangouts, and you can also receive and send texts and receive calls from your GV number using Hangouts.

FPL doesn't have a smartphone app, but yes. Fongo Mobile is VoIP, and if you want to text, you will have to pay. FPL doesn't support texting.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3322 upvotes
rdx wrote: Ok, are those using VOIP to make call ?
Yes
rdx wrote: Then, it looks like GV is a better option.
Your GV phone number is a US phone number. Canadians calling it will be paying for long distance (same with texting to it).
I notice GV has changed since they launched Hangouts, right ? I remember it used to use the phone minutes to make calls.
No. It's always been a VoIP service.
By the way, I notice my Hangouts app setup has both my GV number and my cell phone number, does it mean GV will ring when people call either numbers ?
No. Your cell number is likely just linked to Hangouts (possibly, so that others can find you more easily). Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9707 posts
1158 upvotes
Thanks for your information.

I guess my friends in Toronto can call my 416 number and my cell will ring as usual. My friends in US can call my GV number, the Hangouts app will ring and we can chat through VOIP. And for me, as long as I have data/WiFi, I can use Hangouts app to call both Canadian and US numbers free. Am I correct ?
Webslinger wrote: Yes

Your GV phone number is a US phone number. Canadians calling it will be paying for long distance (same with texting to it).

No. It's always been a VoIP service.

No. Your cell number is likely just linked to Hangouts so that others can find you more easily. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3322 upvotes
rdx wrote: And for me, as long as I have data/WiFi, I can use Hangouts app to call both Canadian and US numbers free. Am I correct ?
Correct. However, when using cellular data, depending on signal strength (and jitter/ping), your call quality may not be very good. The same issue can arise over wi-fi, but typically less often.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
rdx wrote: I think I used Fongo, Free Phone Line or the one from Dell (forgot its name) in the past.

Or should I use Google Voice ? which allows me to call US free as well ? I do have a Google Voice US number which I signed up years ago.

What is the best one currently

By the way, does Hangouts Dialer basically replace Google Voice ? And I notice it now uses data vs Google Voice was using the minuites. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your advice.
Even though it is not free, but Skype $3 a month unlimited call (US/Can) is close to free. It is cross platform as u may call from desktop/Linux/Mac/Android....
It has integrated feature (with vdo/skype/conference) all combined into one. the only catch is that only US# can be assigned (no Canadian yet. Call to cell # has a quality issue too if the gateway or server are not optimized.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 14, 2016
5 posts
Webslinger wrote: Correct. However, when using cellular data, depending on signal strength (and jitter/ping), your call quality may not be very good. The same issue can arise over wi-fi, but typically less often.
agree! I had to search something else with more high quality as making business calls skype often lets me down.
Besides, there a lot of similar services, when there was no alternative to skype it was the best one, but today, we have many options to choose.
I consider Google’s Hangouts great service. It is twice cheaper than skype and gives good call quality. You can also find others, less popular than Hangouts. In my last business trip I had to call landline phone, so I tried some called callnspeak - even more low prices.