[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6038 posts
3949 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Best Free Credit Report

Hey all,

Does anyone know the best free credit report?

Is there a difference between mailing Equifax or TransUnion for one?

Or what about these commercials for sites like credit Karma?

TIA
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2814 posts
1681 upvotes
ontario
don't really see much point in dealing/paying directly with Equifax/Transunion any more. Credit Karma (TU) and Borrowell (Equifax) work fine. I've noticed most banks/credit cards now offer free credit reports as well (Capital One, Scotia I can confirm)
Nov 22, 2012
699 posts
804 upvotes
NS
The full credit reports provided directly from TransUnion and Equifax include more details such as your soft credit inquiries (the free credit reports only show your hard credit inquiries), credit history, payment history (TU), etc.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8125 posts
3459 upvotes
Financial District B…
JRGUINNESS wrote: Hey all,

Does anyone know the best free credit report?

Is there a difference between mailing Equifax or TransUnion for one?

Or what about these commercials for sites like credit Karma?

TIA
The best and only reports you should associate yourself with is from Equifax and TransUnion.
Acquire both at least once a year.

I find it really funny how so many on this forum are either hiding their identities (possible due to credit blemishes) or complain about various personal disclosure data in order to obtain credit that they so readily roll-over when any entity that uses the free-credit report tag to sign up for it knowing all these services can and will use your credit and personal data to obtain or source other other credit preapprovals from various 3rd party credit orgs and businesses.
Moreover, if there's any issues with your report from CreditXXFreeReport you will have to get it changed or corrected from the main bureaus anyways.

One last note, with all the recent credit breaches in the last few years, your personal data is exposed 10-fold the more times you sign up for the free-credit report orgs.
Majority of these free-credit report orgs are credit 'brokers'... think about it!
Last edited by mikeymike1 on Jul 24th, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6038 posts
3949 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mikeymike1 wrote: The best and only reports you should associate yourself with is from Equifax and TransUnion.

I find it really funny how so many on this forum are either hiding their identities (possible due to credit blemishes) or complain about various personal disclosure data in order to obtain credit that they so readily roll-over when any entity uses the free-credit report tag to sign up for it knowing all these services can and will use your credit and personal data to obtain other credit from various 3rd party credit orgs and businesses.
Moreover, if there's any issues with your report from CreditXXFreeReport you will have to get it changed or corrected from the main bureaus anyways.

One last note, with all the recent credit breaches in the last few years, your personal data is exposed 10-fold the more times you sign up for the free-credit report orgs.
Majority of these free-credit report orgs are credit 'brokers'... think about it!
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5264 posts
2795 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote: The best and only reports you should associate yourself with is from Equifax and TransUnion.
What is your game plan. Get both at the same time or alternate every 6 months?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5207 posts
3549 upvotes
LaLaLand
You can get your TransUnion report online right away for free. For Equifax, you have to fill out a form and fax or mail it in.

I just received my TransUnion credit report in the mail. I couldn't get it online because there were some inaccuracies in my file. But I was able to correct them online afterwards. I'm waiting for my equifax credit report now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5264 posts
2795 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote:
wakka2u wrote: reminder.. anyone with an RBC account or credit card can get a free credit check via transunion = )
CIBC offers free reports as well. I've wondered about whether or not getting the free service gives them more access than they would normally get without having their hard / soft hits showing up on your report. And is there an increased risk to data breaches?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8125 posts
3459 upvotes
Financial District B…
ROYinTO wrote: CIBC offers free reports as well. I've wondered about whether or not getting the free service gives them more access than they would normally get without having their hard / soft hits showing up on your report. And is there an increased risk to data breaches?
No not with any of the FI's as they all periodically soft-pull your reports anyways. Any advertising of the service is just using it as perk as part of their account services. They are not going to use your financial or personal data to try secure any card offers from other banks. Why would they as they would be competitors.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Apr 19, 2017
127 posts
24 upvotes
My cibc credit check app score is around 720 and my credit karma score is 799.

Why such a big difference??
Aug 1, 2014
292 posts
209 upvotes
Bertiebigboss wrote: My cibc credit check app score is around 720 and my credit karma score is 799.

Why such a big difference??
CIBC updates score through Borrowell every 3 months. Check to see if Credit Karma was updated same time as CIBC.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5264 posts
2795 upvotes
Toronto
Khichdi wrote: CIBC updates score through Borrowell every 3 months.
Does that not increase your risks of potentially being part of a breach that @mikeymike1 warns of above?
If the banks already have access to your scores directly from the source, why in the world are they using 3rd parties?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8125 posts
3459 upvotes
Financial District B…
Khichdi wrote: CIBC updates score through Borrowell every 3 months. Check to see if Credit Karma was updated same time as CIBC.
CIBC does not update your credit report report via Borrowell.
CIBC updates your revolving account data via Equifax and Trans Union only!

Borrowell acquires your Credit file data via Equifax and/or TransUnion via your agreed permission and disclosure to their services.
Sep 23, 2013
517 posts
300 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
Borrowell is my favourite free credit report site. I tried to use Credit Karma but I've been having browser issues with their site, it's possibly because I use a work laptop.
Life and Health Insurance Agent.
Licensed with 8 companies, access to nearly a dozen more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5264 posts
2795 upvotes
Toronto
Note bolding for emphasis
Khichdi wrote:
CIBC updates score through Borrowell every 3 months.
mikeymike1 wrote: CIBC does not update your credit report via Borrowell.
CIBC updates your revolving account data via Equifax and Trans Union only!

Borrowell acquires your Credit file data via Equifax and/or TransUnion via your agreed permission and disclosure to their services.
@Khichdi & @mikeymike1 are referring to different things. The CIBC page says:
CIBC Free Credit Score Service