Home & Garden

Best Front Load Washer and Dryer, and your reviews?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 8:56 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1487 posts
319 upvotes

Best Front Load Washer and Dryer, and your reviews?

So many options and so many varying reviews – makes my head spin.

I’m keeping an open mind on the budget, and can go as high as 3-4k in getting the right laundry pair. I don’t really need pedestals, as I plan to build a countertop on top of the machines. Also I’ve read that front load washers are gentler on clothes than top loading.

Effectively I have many high end white shirts which I want to launder at home. Been considering the following 3, but open to other suggestions:

kenmore elite 41893
samsung flex wash
ELECTROLUX PERFECT STEAM EFLS617SIW

For those who wash and hang dry their dress shirts at home, what would be the best setup? Would a steam wash and light steam dry be enough and then let them air dry.

Thoughts and suggestions?

thanks
61 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11500 posts
7786 upvotes
Edmonton
We bought the Electrolux a couple of months ago. I can't answer your specific questions, but we're pretty happy with it so far. One of the selling features for us was the ability to reverse the doors, given our layout. I think we paid $2200 from HD.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I think steam and all that stuff is pretty gimmicky personally. If you want to hang dry, it'll be best to get a washer with a high spin speed to extract a much water as possible. That, however, also creases clothes more.

Yes, the lack of an agitator does make a front loaded more gentle on your clothes.

If it had worked and was still available, the Maytag Neptune cabinet dryer was (is) what you needed.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4530 posts
1067 upvotes
Be prepared to wipe down seals, clean out filter housings and drain water regularly from your front load. Some of the regular "maintenance" required so your machine and clothes don't smell musty. We've experienced this with every front load we've owned (Maytag and 2 LG W/Ds). It's a drag.

Given the choice, we'll never own another front load washer. Gentler on clothes? How many clothes have you actually ever seen destroyed by a top loader?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8328 posts
2332 upvotes
Toronto
utopianbl wrote: So many options and so many varying reviews – makes my head spin.

I’m keeping an open mind on the budget, and can go as high as 3-4k in getting the right laundry pair. I don’t really need pedestals, as I plan to build a countertop on top of the machines. Also I’ve read that front load washers are gentler on clothes than top loading.

Effectively I have many high end white shirts which I want to launder at home. Been considering the following 3, but open to other suggestions:

kenmore elite 41893
samsung flex wash

For those who wash and hang dry their dress shirts at home, what would be the best setup? Would a steam wash and light steam dry be enough and then let them air dry.

thanks
We're in the market too. Wifey is dead set on LG...she'll consider Electrolux as well.

Electrolux also allows you to switch the door hinges, which I like.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2290 posts
558 upvotes
We're happy with our Electrolux pair and have no hesitation recommending them.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Toukolou wrote: Be prepared to wipe down seals, clean out filter housings and drain water regularly from your front load. Some of the regular "maintenance" required so your machine and clothes don't smell musty.
The secret is to keep the door and detergent drawer open to let it dry. Haven't had any smell and mould problems with the ~14 y.o. GE front loader (came with the house).
Given the choice, we'll never own another front load washer. Gentler on clothes? How many clothes have you actually ever seen destroyed by a top loader?
The wear will be over time, which is why there is gentle (slow agitator) cycle. Mind you, a minimal-water front loader may cause just as much wear. Then again, so would not enough water and too much load on a top load agitator.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1596 posts
1556 upvotes
GTA
Toukolou wrote: Be prepared to wipe down seals, clean out filter housings and drain water regularly from your front load. Some of the regular "maintenance" required so your machine and clothes don't smell musty. We've experienced this with every front load we've owned (Maytag and 2 LG W/Ds). It's a drag.

We have been using an LG Front load washer for awhile now. Have not noticed any musty smell and doing no maintenance you mention. Not even sure what you mean by drain water regularly from your front loader. Never seen any water left after the cycle completes. The washer has a spring that keeps the door open an inch to allow evaporation of any moisture that might remain on the rubber seal.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2742 posts
365 upvotes
Ontario GTA
utopianbl wrote: So many options and so many varying reviews – makes my head spin.

kenmore elite 41893
samsung flex wash

thanks
if you want really high end, you could go with Miele. they just launched some new machines which can use special detergents to remove stains more effectively called TwinDos
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1487 posts
319 upvotes
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
We're in the market too. Wifey is dead set on LG...she'll consider Electrolux as well.

Electrolux also allows you to switch the door hinges, which I like.

I believe Electrolux and LG have the same machine with different branding for front loaders. Which LG does she have her eyes on?
The_Madz wrote: if you want really high end, you could go with Miele. they just launched some new machines which can use special detergents to remove stains more effectively called TwinDos
thanks, will check these out. From what I'm reading the trick to stain removing is if really high heat is produced. If above 140degs then it becomes easier to remove stains. The steam driven washers are typically able to produce high heat and hence are good for washing.

Another question here - some of the higher end washers seem to excel at quicker cycle times, steam, internal heaters to increase water temp, app controls, spin speeds etc Any other major considerations?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I'd be surprised if LG and Electrolux share a design. Certainly possible but Electrolux has Frigidaire which is more likely to be the same appliance with different nameplates,
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4530 posts
1067 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
The secret is to keep the door and detergent drawer open to let it dry. Haven't had any smell and mould problems with the ~14 y.o. GE front loader (came with the house).

The wear will be over time, which is why there is gentle (slow agitator) cycle. Mind you, a minimal-water front loader may cause just as much wear. Then again, so would not enough water and too much load on a top load agitator.
We leave the door wide open every time, still get mustiness if not maintained.
DaveTheDude wrote: We have been using an LG Front load washer for awhile now. Have not noticed any musty smell and doing no maintenance you mention. Not even sure what you mean by drain water regularly from your front loader. Never seen any water left after the cycle completes. The washer has a spring that keeps the door open an inch to allow evaporation of any moisture that might remain on the rubber seal.
There likely is a little door somewhere on the bottom of the machine. Behind that little door is a filter that traps grunge from the washes and a small hose that gets pulled out and then drains upwards somehow after much finagling, since it is so close to the ground (no pedestals). This water that gets drained stinks and usually contains little flecks of mold too. It's supposed to be done monthly. This is true of 2 LG machines we've owned. It's BS, never again.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4980 posts
2188 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Might be a LG problem or maybe improper installation? No problems with any front loaders I've used (from housesitting) including LG. You might consider running a hot wash with vinegar, or add bleach to your white/kitchen towel wash.

I did have a Samsung washer in a rental suite that had that drain but the only time I had to use it in 4 years was when a tenant left some hair clips in her clothes.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2171 posts
818 upvotes
Edmonton
Run, do not walk away from the Samsung.....
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
May 28, 2007
392 posts
127 upvotes
Peterborough
If you want to do your own minor maintenance and repairs, LG parts are harder to find in Canada. Only avaiable to service centres. I needed to replace the flame sensor in our LG dryer. Could not get OEM unless ordered from the states. Found a parts supplier that sold a comparable item. Easy fix once I had the part.