PC & Video Games

Best gaming stream service (to play away from home)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2020 5:14 am
[OP]
Nov 25, 2015
166 posts
413 upvotes
Canada

Best gaming stream service (to play away from home)

Hi there, I have a question:

I'm going to be often on the road for work and staying at different Airbnbs and hotels while far away from home. I don't have anyone with me, so I'll be pretty freaking bored. Now, I don't have a console, I only have my heavy desktop PC (which I definitely won't be able to bring/carry with me) which has a ton of games installed on it (games from Steam, Epic, Origin, Battle.net, GOG: like the new Cyberpunk 2077, etc).

Anyway, I would love to be able to play the games that I own (some of which I'd love to play online, like CS:GO, Battlefield V, Civilization VI, Red Dead Online) from either a (non-gaming) laptop I'll be bringing with me (obviously with a mouse), or maybe a TV screen/PC monitor.

What's the best gaming "stream service" for me to play away from home??? (I have a Steam Link from way-back-when, but I also keep hearing about Nvidia Shield, and Nvidia GeForce Now, Moonlight, Steam Remote Play, etc, etc - it's all so very confusing for me - I just want to make sure that I'm well equipped before going away).

Many thanks in advance!
11 replies
Feb 22, 2016
145 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
thief101 wrote: Hi there, I have a question:

I'm going to be often on the road for work and staying at different Airbnbs and hotels while far away from home. I don't have anyone with me, so I'll be pretty freaking bored. Now, I don't have a console, I only have my heavy desktop PC (which I definitely won't be able to bring/carry with me) which has a ton of games installed on it (games from Steam, Epic, Origin, Battle.net, GOG: like the new Cyberpunk 2077, etc).

Anyway, I would love to be able to play the games that I own (some of which I'd love to play online, like CS:GO, Battlefield V, Civilization VI, Red Dead Online) from either a (non-gaming) laptop I'll be bringing with me (obviously with a mouse), or maybe a TV screen/PC monitor.

What's the best gaming "stream service" for me to play away from home??? (I have a Steam Link from way-back-when, but I also keep hearing about Nvidia Shield, and Nvidia GeForce Now, Moonlight, Steam Remote Play, etc, etc - it's all so very confusing for me - I just want to make sure that I'm well equipped before going away).

Many thanks in advance!
Asking which is 'best' you may get a million different answers. I think the best way to determine which service you will get the most enjoyment out of is to know what kind internet speeds/service you will have access to while travelling. This will be the biggest limitation I would imagine to accessing one or the other service. Ie. Stadia lets you stream up to 4k but Geforce Now is only up to 1080p ( I think). So maybe Geforce Now is your best option because you will only have basic high speed at hotels.

Aside from that it's just about what games you want to play and going through each services game library to see what has a good selection for you. Hope that helps.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2015
166 posts
413 upvotes
Canada
Cadley wrote: Asking which is 'best' you may get a million different answers. I think the best way to determine which service you will get the most enjoyment out of is to know what kind internet speeds/service you will have access to while travelling. This will be the biggest limitation I would imagine to accessing one or the other service. Ie. Stadia lets you stream up to 4k but Geforce Now is only up to 1080p ( I think). So maybe Geforce Now is your best option because you will only have basic high speed at hotels.

Aside from that it's just about what games you want to play and going through each services game library to see what has a good selection for you. Hope that helps.
I think anywhere around 50 mbps. I usually stay at Airbnbs, and I would presume 50 mbps is the "norm".

Also, I don't want to have to re-buy games (Stadia). I don't mind 1080p/60 FPS. Do you think Nvidia Shield Pro is worth it? Or GeForce Now does the job better (for less)? My big concern with GeForce Now is that I heard a bunch of games aren't supported on there (Civilization VI, GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077, etc). Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know very much about this.
Apr 6, 2008
125 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
I recommend Shadow PC. Using it on my Macbook Air and the latency/quality is great. The difference between Shadow and the other game streaming services is you get a PC to yourself so you can do more than just play games on it.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2015
166 posts
413 upvotes
Canada
j3welz wrote: I recommend Shadow PC. Using it on my Macbook Air and the latency/quality is great. The difference between Shadow and the other game streaming services is you get a PC to yourself so you can do more than just play games on it.
I don’t think Shadow is available at the moment for Canadians. I just checked their website. They have for the US though.

Also what’s the difference between Shadow, and say, Nvidia Shield? Can the later play games (through stream) just as well?
Apr 6, 2008
125 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
You can still sign up if you're close enough to a US data centre. I'm in Vancouver so I'm connecting to the Washington data centre. The ping is pretty good.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2015
166 posts
413 upvotes
Canada
j3welz wrote: You can still sign up if you're close enough to a US data centre. I'm in Vancouver so I'm connecting to the Washington data centre. The ping is pretty good.
Awesome, thank you!! I will get Shadow PC. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
FWIW, Civ V and Civ VI play perfectly well from 8 and 9 y.o. cheap Acer Aspire 8GB (AMD A8 and Intel i5-XXX) laptops with integrated graphics (and SSDs), and with just a track pad. Doesn't require too much.

Of course graphics may not be as good but it's adequate.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9540 posts
4369 upvotes
Toronto
Setting up a gaming computer at home and using Parsec to remote in might be one of the best options. It's the most fully featured for streaming games and game companies have all been using it for working from home, remoting into the office to also use and remote their Playstation/Xbox. You can really have it exactly how you like, with up to 4K at very low latency. You dont even need a monitor for the gaming PC to remote into it, just use a headless hdmi dongle ($6 or so)

I've heard the paid Geforce Now's not bad, and Shadow which other posters mentioned which I haven't tried yet but is worth looking into
[OP]
Nov 25, 2015
166 posts
413 upvotes
Canada
ManCaveGamer wrote: Setting up a gaming computer at home and using Parsec to remote in might be one of the best options. It's the most fully featured for streaming games and game companies have all been using it for working from home, remoting into the office to also use and remote their Playstation/Xbox. You can really have it exactly how you like, with up to 4K at very low latency. You dont even need a monitor for the gaming PC to remote into it, just use a headless hdmi dongle ($6 or so)

I've heard the paid Geforce Now's not bad, and Shadow which other posters mentioned which I haven't tried yet but is worth looking into
I never heard of Parsec before, but it does look quite good! I just YouTube'd some videos which say there's apparently a bit of a delay with faster paced games (GTA V). I read that it's very similar to Moonlight though.

After some further research, in great deal thanks to all your replies, I would have gone for Shadow, but at 14 USD/mo for a cloud PC with 256gb SSD and GTX 1080, it just isn't that enticing to me. GeForce Now also costs, and they don't have much support anymore. The only ones that intrigue me, are Parsec and Moonlight, since they both seem to be free. My hosting PC is pretty good (I have the Alienware R10 with Ryzen 3700x, RTX 3080, with Killer Wi-Fi AX), so I'm not very worried about hosting games.

I will test both out! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1128 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GeForce Now let's you stream the games you own on Steam, Uplay, Epic and GOG. The games run on a virtual PC and you stream them to you Mac, chromebook or Android phone/tablet.

It's pretty great but it doesn't support all games. Out of the ones you listed, only Cyberpunk and CS:GO are supported.

Forget about COD, Battlefield, RDR2, GTA5 and Civilization.

The Ubisoft Library is supported, as well as Ubisoft+ if you have it, and a lot of other games like Hitman, Marvel's Avengers, the Tomb Raider series, Fortnite, Destiny 2, etc.

You could also try Stadia. You won't be able to play the games you already own on PC, you'll have to buy them again. Cyberpunk and RDR2 are supported, but not Battlefield nor COD nor Civilization, nor CS:GO.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1346 posts
440 upvotes
ok so i been looking into this... we have come a long way from the early days of On-Live.

so we got playstation now, geforce now, shadow, vortex , rainway and parsec.
there is also google stadia and soon xbox xcloud aka microsoft azure.

but i think the one service everyone isn't watching is amazon luna. it's in early access right now.
but for sure this will be a contender.

the best option for cdn gamers..https://maximumsettings.com/. these guys are in etobicoke.