• Sep 7th, 2021 4:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 27, 2009
71 posts
15 upvotes
Waterloo

Best hotel in Toronto?

I'm getting married at the end of October and we are not planning on going anywhere for our honeymoon yet but we would like to stay a couple of nights at a hotel after our wedding instead of just going back home (seems pretty anti-climatic to me).

Do you guys have any recommendation on which hotel I should look at? My budget is around $500/night
17 replies
Mar 16, 2006
241 posts
99 upvotes
Scarborough
Bisha, Ritz, Shangri-La

I personally really enjoyed my stay at SOHO Metropolitan but this was years ago. I haven't stayed at any of the newer 5 star hotels but check booking.com and then visit each hotel's website directly to see if you can get a better price. Check travelzoo or maybe even Groupon (do people even use that still?)

Congrats and good luck
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12662 posts
3049 upvotes
Mississauga
$500 a night doesn't really cut it at Toronto's best hotels. That is like the pre-tax total at some of them for a prepaid, non-refundable lowest tier room. I would consider dropping down a level and getting a better room at one of those hotels instead. For example, you could get a corner room with soaker tub or a suite for around $450-500/night all in at the Delta Hotel downtown, which is a fantastic hotel with amazing views.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6576 posts
3732 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on your style. The Royal York for example is no longer top tier at all but for some people, the history, old world type charm might be better than a modern skyscraper luxury hotel.

Personally, I'd look at the Park Hyatt, which is supposed to reopen next month after a major renovation that's gone on for years. For something like this, Yorkville is a much nicer area than the financial centre. Lots of good restaurants, nicer to walk around.

You also can't go wrong with any Shangri-La in the world, pretty much.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5736 posts
4219 upvotes
LaLaLand
I think the Royal York or King Edward hotel are both good choices. Get a suite instead of a standard room. These are both classic and historic Toronto hotels and make for memorable stays. I don't live in Toronto anymore, but when I visit I stay at the Royal York or King Edward hotel. One great thing to do at the King Edward Hotel is have afternoon tea.

Maybe stay in the royal suite at the Royal York. The queen stays there when she is in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4663 posts
555 upvotes
molly123 wrote: Bisha, Ritz, Shangri-La

I personally really enjoyed my stay at SOHO Metropolitan but this was years ago. I haven't stayed at any of the newer 5 star hotels but check booking.com and then visit each hotel's website directly to see if you can get a better price. Check travelzoo or maybe even Groupon (do people even use that still?)

Congrats and good luck
This pretty much sums it up.
I'd toss in the 4 Seasons and Fairmont as contenders too.

I used to work at the Ritz and you can get rooms for under $500.
If you book directly with the hotel (as in not a 3rd party site), and let them know you're coming in for a honeymoon night or 2, they may do something special for you.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13072 posts
8318 upvotes
Markham
Congratulations

Do you really need go to Toronto? I actually think some places such as Kingston or Ottawa is better . They are more relaxing. Toronto is sort of stressful
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12662 posts
3049 upvotes
Mississauga
IceBlueShoes wrote: I used to work at the Ritz and you can get rooms for under $500.
If you book directly with the hotel (as in not a 3rd party site), and let them know you're coming in for a honeymoon night or 2, they may do something special for you.
The very cheapest room at the Ritz-Carlton for Oct 30-Nov 1 is $635/night, taxes in. That's the lowest class of room, non-refundable and prepaid in full. There's also a chance that the room will be on a lower floor with a view of nothing as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1541 posts
790 upvotes
Fairmont Royal York is tired. Looks grand but rooms are hit and miss. Shangril La. If you have a Amex Plat/Aeroplan Reserve some have an offer from ShangriLa.
Westin Harborfront - nothing fancy but get a room with a view of the water. And walkable in Oct.
Ritz and Four Seasons are other alternatives.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1025 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
Four Seasons is #1 hands down.
Ritz Carlton club level (food, booze, etc) is #2.
We weren't a fan of Shangrila or their food/room service. Poor experience.
Fairmont is dated and not in the same level of Four Seasons or Ritz imo.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1025 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
stupidity wrote: I'm getting married at the end of October and we are not planning on going anywhere for our honeymoon yet but we would like to stay a couple of nights at a hotel after our wedding instead of just going back home (seems pretty anti-climatic to me).

Do you guys have any recommendation on which hotel I should look at? My budget is around $500/night
For $450/night go to Langdon Hall. #1 Restaurant in Canada. Pool/spa. It's incredible.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22894 posts
21738 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
stupidity wrote: I'm getting married at the end of October and we are not planning on going anywhere for our honeymoon yet but we would like to stay a couple of nights at a hotel after our wedding instead of just going back home (seems pretty anti-climatic to me).

First off … CONGRATULATIONS

Strong believer everyone should at least have some sort of honeymoon after the wedding
And not just go right back home

Everything everyone else here shared is spot on

HONEYMOON = RULE # 1
Tell everyone
People LOVE LOVE
So they tend to throw in upgrades & freebies / gifts

Booking … no matter where you book
Find the hotel you like … and book direct … online
OR … in the case of a honeymoon …
Do it direct with the front desk … they have total control over pricing and handing out rooms / upgrades
So find it cheaper online with a 3rd Party Reseller … tell the front desk
They should meet or beat it!
I learned this a long time ago … so although I may do my research elsewhere
I always book direct

BEFORE you book anything
Join the Hotels Loyalty Program … this will get you better pricing online, and other perks
And the hotel will consider you far more important to them than the next guy who’s not a member

BE POLITE … and kind
ALWAYS
Don’t beg for an upgrade (or bribe)
Genuine kindness goes a long way
As front desk people see enough UGLY PERSONALITIES every day
If you are nice … you might get incredibly lucky
We do this on every hotel stay
And have had some incredible upgrades upon check in
Paying for regular rooms … and getting corner rooms with great views
Even a suite on occasion

REMEMBER … TELL THEM YOU JUST GOT MARRIED TODAY / YESTERDAY
ITS YOUR HONEYMOON

Getting out of Dodge …
Heading to Kingston or Ottawa could be a good getaway
And waaaay cheaper than TO

Different also equals special / romantic
(Same reason you don’t want to go right back to your house after the wedding )
Will be a nice surprise
Kingston is close by car
And if not … convenient by train

LAST NOTE … keep your receipts etc as proof of your wedding & honeymoon stay & dates
You’ll be surprised how many hotels will give you a future deal on an Anniversary stay
Some even do it for FREE on your 1st Anniversary
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18061 posts
12781 upvotes
Markham
Not sure if you've factored in cost of meals/activities or if you have another budget for that.

Spend less on the hotel and more on the meals/activities... When the lights are out, you can't see how big the room is so why pay for a bigger room?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4663 posts
555 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: The very cheapest room at the Ritz-Carlton for Oct 30-Nov 1 is $635/night, taxes in. That's the lowest class of room, non-refundable and prepaid in full. There's also a chance that the room will be on a lower floor with a view of nothing as well.
Well it depends on when of course. During TIFF (normal times), cheapest room I ever saw was $2000.

I remember seeing rooms for under $300 often (not suites of course) so it is possible.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4663 posts
555 upvotes
vernonco wrote: Fairmont Royal York is tired. Looks grand but rooms are hit and miss. Shangril La. If you have a Amex Plat/Aeroplan Reserve some have an offer from ShangriLa.
Westin Harborfront - nothing fancy but get a room with a view of the water. And walkable in Oct.
Ritz and Four Seasons are other alternatives.
In terms of the Fairmont, I've heard the renovated rooms are much nicer, but I've never stayed at one myself. I have seen the option online at the hotel website though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7278 posts
6452 upvotes

St Regis, Shangri La, 1 hotel, four seasons

My preferred hotel dt is St Regis due to location, room size and quality followed by four seasons and Shangri la

The w hotel is coming soon but not sure will be open by time you plan to stay
Aug 5, 2008
758 posts
509 upvotes
I liked Hotel X when I stayed there in a junior suite, it was over looking the lake and we saw the planes fly out of Billy Bishop. The staff are very nice and accommodating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)