• Aug 17th, 2020 3:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2688 posts
1008 upvotes
Nunavut

Best Inkjet Printer ~$130?

Looking for some suggestions on printers, it's been well over 10 years since I had to shop for one, previously I always stuck to Epson as they had the direct cd printing capability, and plenty of ink systems available for unlimited ink

Shopping now for an all in one, but doesn't need to have all the frills or best printing quality or speed, likely only ever print documents with color here and there, but would still like separate ink cartridges for flexibility and be refill friendly - will be taking them to Costco

I've already ruled out HP as I have always viewed them as disposable pieces of junk

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model? By browsing around it looks like $130 seems to be a good price point for average printers
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2688 posts
1008 upvotes
Nunavut
jackrabbit000 wrote: Spend a bit more and get yourself a Epson EcoTank printer and be done with buying ink cartridges. Whatever you do stay away from Canon, these things are made to eat up all your ink.
Would love to go EcoTank as I previously used a CIS setup for my printers, but for how much we are going to use the printer I'm not sure I can justify the price bump

Cheapest I'm seeing between Staples & Bestbuy is $240 for the ET-2650 with no other extra features

I'm doubting the extra $100 could be recouped in ink savings, especially if I do refills
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1964 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver
Get a cheapo HP with Instant Ink. Cartridges are shipped FREE and you get 15 pages/month for FREE too. Post that it is very cheap. Like 1$ for 10more pages.

For an EcoTank like printer, my bro picked one up at an AbleAuction for like $40. Keeps getting clogged though and is a pain, AFAIK

PS: I know people seem to think that all Inkjets get clogged. I used to think that too but then i tried HP Instant Ink.

My printer goes 2-3 months without printing, and will print perfect when I need to. I dunno how. Have used enough inkjets before to tell you, that this is NOT normal inkjet behavior.

But hey, it works, some how. Maybe HP has some special cartridges for Instant Ink
Last edited by kramer1 on Aug 2nd, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2362 posts
1762 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kramer1 wrote: Get a cheapo HP with Instant Ink. Cartridges are shipped FREE and you get 15 pages/month for FREE too. Post that it is very cheap. Like 1$ for 10more pages.
Make sure that the Instant Ink HP printer is supported on the free 15 pages/month plan. Not all HP instant ink compatible printers have the free plan as one of the options.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1964 posts
1400 upvotes
Vancouver
lmcjipo wrote: Make sure that the Instant Ink HP printer is supported on the free 15 pages/month plan. Not all HP instant ink compatible printers have the free plan as one of the options.
I got one of those. An HP Envy Photo 7855. Contacted them via chat and they got me set up on the 15 page plan
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2688 posts
1008 upvotes
Nunavut
kramer1 wrote: Get a cheapo HP with Instant Ink. Cartridges are shipped FREE and you get 15 pages/month for FREE too. Post that it is very cheap. Like 1$ for 10more pages.

For an EcoTank like printer, my bro picked one up at an AbleAuction for like $40. Keeps getting clogged though and is a pain, AFAIK

PS: I know people seem to think that all Inkjets get clogged. I used to think that too but then i tried HP Instant Ink.

My printer goes 2-3 months without printing, and will print perfect when I need to. I dunno how. Have used enough inkjets before to tell you, that this is NOT normal inkjet behavior.

But hey, it works, some how. Maybe HP has some special cartridges for Instant Ink
I never really knew of their instant ink dealy until now, and spotted the big thread in the hot deals section.. I think I might go this way with the HP printer that's on sale at Costco right now

The 15 pages per month is likely going to be more than enough for me, lately my main printing needs have been Amazon return labels :)
Apr 5, 2008
691 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
I know there's alot of hate for inkjets, but I'm still using my Brother from 10 years ago and it still works fine today. Have never paid for an OE ink cartridge and have always been using bulk ink + refillable cartridges. It doesn't look like the hardware has changed much on Brother inkjets in the last decade, no chips on the cartridges and super easy to refill.
Jan 11, 2017
82 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
nobb wrote: I know there's alot of hate for inkjets, but I'm still using my Brother from 10 years ago and it still works fine today. Have never paid for an OE ink cartridge and have always been using bulk ink + refillable cartridges. It doesn't look like the hardware has changed much on Brother inkjets in the last decade, no chips on the cartridges and super easy to refill.
Where is a good place to buy refillable ink?
May 22, 2015
35 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Brother MFCJ491DW Wireless Color Printer with Scanner Copier and Fax.
Oct 12, 2014
863 posts
145 upvotes
Ajax
Looking for some back to schools on printers as well....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8188 posts
5099 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry, but the best inkjet printer is a laser printer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)