• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2019 3:58 pm
Dec 8, 2008
965 posts
108 upvotes
Montreal, QC
vodka wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 9:52 am
Thanks I appreciate the response. Did you have to pay the installation fee? There is an activation fee that I saw, I assume you had to pay this (doesn't say anything about waving it)?

Just a side question - I bought a Thompson DCM-475 off Kijiji quite a while ago, it was used on TekSavy before (at one point I was thinking of going cable - at the time I had adsl). When I tried to use it for Videotron they told me you can't use your own modem (model rental was free anyway, but I always prefer to use my own equipment). Altimatel allow you to use your own and this I have one of the models on their list. Would I have issues with using the old modem from TekSavy? I would prefer not to have to pay a deposit for a modem if I have one.

Thanks,
Nope, no install fee but I paid the 60$ deposit minus a 10$ referral credit since I didn't have a modem. I can't see any issues with using your own modem as the MAC isn't registered with Teksavvy still.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3884 posts
628 upvotes
Granby
Vmedia.ca
Seems to have a promo for their 50/10 fttn service $34.95 for 12 months , plus free skinny package tv (3 months)
$100 installation though
Don't suppose theres any way to get rid of that installation fee lol..

Seems like a decent deal
Sep 23, 2007
86 posts
6 upvotes
Yul
Read up on VMEDIA...... Be aware if THERE way of giving you your speed of internet.

Lots of information about them on the forum's

Good luck with them.
Aug 27, 2009
854 posts
677 upvotes
My two cents on Vmedia after a week of use (including the weekend).

Region: MTL island suburb
Speed: Slightly better than advertised, 51/11. Low ping ~20ms. No noticeable difference between Videotron.
Installation:
Took two attempts. First guy said we needed to connect to the lines behind my house and it had to be done during the day.
Second attempt guy said the same thing, disappeared for an hour came back with another tech who then decided to connect me to the lines at the front of the house (same lines as FibeTV).
Techs weren't particularly nice (Bell techs) but did a good job.
Vmedia proactively adjusted the billing date after I notified them that Bell had scheduled the second attempt in the evening again despite the first tech requesting a morning installing (dumb af).

Modem: I have the old Sagecom modem, turns out when you pass through to a decent router the speeds max out at 30/10. Will be updating my modem to the Smart RG 505n in the future. This is purely a hardware issue.

Overall: I am impressed but I can't help but wonder if I would be having the same QoS if the Bell tech had connected the lines in my backyard (as was initially instructed) instead of the front yard. The only real con was the 65$ installation fee but they had to do the full install (line, outlet, box etc..) so i don't feel to bad.
Sep 23, 2007
86 posts
6 upvotes
Yul
Please let us know what your speed are like in the evening after 7pm and on busy weekend's.
I couldn't handle it anymore.... Was unsable for more than 1 person and even at than depended on what you where searching / watching.

Keep us updated.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Aug 27, 2009
854 posts
677 upvotes
outtolearn88 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 12:45 pm
Please let us know what your speed are like in the evening after 7pm and on busy weekend's.
I couldn't handle it anymore.... Was unsable for more than 1 person and even at than depended on what you where searching / watching.

Keep us updated.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Was streaming 4K netflix with no issues saturday night while two of us were playing on our phones. Also keep in mind my realistic max was only 30/10 given I'm using a good router.

I can only try again this Friday as I'm leaving on Saturday for a week.

What kind of test do you want to see?

Honestly though home internet is kinda like cell reception imo. It can vary by region and service provider.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3884 posts
628 upvotes
Granby
Nice, thx for the update...how did you get $65 installation though? It says $100 for me on the site
Aug 27, 2009
854 posts
677 upvotes
daedalus2004 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:34 pm
Nice, thx for the update...how did you get $65 installation though? It says $100 for me on the site
It must have changed again; the first time I checked it was FREE!
That would have been smoking hot.
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
Hi IIeb13 thanks very much for joining us. I feel your and daedelus2004's pain on the install fee, but as you probably know it is virtually a straight passthrough, our business model is focused on recurring revenues, not making a margin on passthrough costs, which are a nuisance for all concerned. However given the fact that people often have to actually show up, it is understandable. The free periods were based on either promotions from the underlying provider, or us bearing the cost, but we can't maintain that subsidy all the time because at the rate of our sign ups it can be very costly for us as it comes right out of our pockets. Having said that we are working on ways to ease the hit, like spreading it over months, and we hope to have some kind of process in place within the next several months.
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
biGtiF wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 2:48 pm
The Altima Telecom deal looks awesome.. however I also need TV with hopefully RDS/Sportsnet.. what's the cheapest way to get that?
Hi biGtiF sorry to have missed your post, I encourage you to have a look at what VMedia has to offer both in terms of internet and TV, I am certain we have the solution for you, especially if your focus is sports. We have had a choice and flexibility strategy well before the CRTC introduced its TV framework two years ago.
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
Hi StackemHigh thanks for joining us and for your kind comments.
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:21 am
I have unlimited Internet 30/10 and TV with 20 custom channels and paying 80$, I need to move over traditional TV to IPTV. I know a seller in montreal but not sure if he has Canadian and french channels on it.

I don't watch tv i have it for my wife which she watch few french Canadian and few us channels like ABC and for sure Telemagino for the kids.

If i found a seller french canadian and us channels i will cut the TV.
Hi Ricky have you checked us out? You can get the channels you say your wife and kids care about for less than $21.00(L'Economique/TheSkinny for $17.95 and Teleimagino for $2.95), and of course great prices for unlimited internet.
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 1:50 pm
I'm a casual user (youtube, surfing, email, etc) so speeds of 5/6 are good enough for me. I prefer no caps though as I exceed 300 GB/month at times when I binge watch videos.

Name: VMedia
Speed and Bandwidth: 6 Mbps/800 Kbps unlimited
Price: 19.95
Modem: can use your own
Installation: $65
Comments: If you do not have a Bell home telephone, then the Dry Loop fee of $8/month will apply
Link: http://www.vmedia.ca/en/internet/195

Thanks very much for your referral, minimalist!
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:02 am
i don't see why not. basically, you need Bell to hook you up. once that is done, who's to tell you can't go somewhere else?
Hi s much as I would love to get your business, I would not want you to sign up to FTTH(I assume that is what they are offering to connect to your home at this time) with the hope of being able to switch to us. ISP access to those facilities is still in flux and not sure yet what the pricing outcome will be. Having said that, if it is FTTN we are good to serve you up 50Mbps, and then there is the cable option if that is available to you. In any case I am sorry for any confusion we might have caused in your initial contact with VMedia.
Mar 6, 2013
613 posts
67 upvotes
ihtravelall wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:39 am
Not sure it will work for everyone unless I am missing something. My home currently has Bell Fibe internet and tv. I was hoping to switch to another isp. So far vmedia, cannet and any other I have tried all reply that FTTN is not available to my address. What's the trick here?
Hi ihtravelall if it is indeed FTTN then we should eb able to serve you, can you PM me your address with postal code so we can have another look?