Ongoing Deal Discussion

Best Internet Deals in Quebec

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 8:43 pm
Apr 24, 2017
29 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Sorry for my ignorance, but is Virgin considered as cable or DSL? How about Cannet? Are CanNet really still using phone line?

Back in the days, i have always associated Bell with DSL and Videotron with cable....
Feb 20, 2017
20 posts
12 upvotes
Murdamonk wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:53 am
Sorry for my ignorance, but is Virgin considered as cable or DSL? How about Cannet? Are CanNet really still using phone line?

Back in the days, i have always associated Bell with DSL and Videotron with cable....
Virgin is owned by Bell, they use their network, they'll have fiber to the street probably and phone line to your modem.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1533 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Murdamonk wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:53 am
it is still true somewhat. dsl is still using bell's network and will probably stay like that. cable is different
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1009 posts
266 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks looking to switch. My ebox speed is getting sporadic lately, quite annoying.
Nov 13, 2013
367 posts
155 upvotes
Quebec
This thread should be under "Ongoing Deal Discussion" what do you think?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2027 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal
superxxxstud wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 9:25 am
I know some people might complain but for seniors who use emails/browsing/video streams and 1-2 simultaneous netflix streams and dont care about peak performance, I have found this to be the best deal available in Quebec:

Name: Ciktel
Speed and Bandwidth: 15/10 unlimited + Residential line
Price: 30$ first year, 40$ after that
Modem: included
Installation: 30$
Backbone: Bell DSL
Comments: Great for the average user not doing torrents or care about raw speed, 40$ modem in for internet plus a voip line (free north america) with no headaches or tech savvyness required is as good as i found for my parents.
That's way more than needed for seniors or light users!
I'm on 10/1.5 with eBox and find it's fine for my needs (VOIP, some streaming, some torrents, YouTube, ...)
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2027 posts
506 upvotes
Montreal
JP3ll3ti3r wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:04 pm
This thread should be under "Ongoing Deal Discussion" what do you think?
Yes it should.
Apr 11, 2009
143 posts
70 upvotes
Name: Oricom
Speed and Bandwidth: 5/1 150 Gb
Price: $26.95 plus tax
Backbone: Bell
Apr 5, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
Barrie
I'm on the 50/10 plan from VMedia and am pretty happy with it. Connection is really stable. The main reason I went with VMedia though was to get access to their TV - the cheap internet was just a bonus.
7 Down, 1 Up

-Chabuddy G
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1894 posts
936 upvotes
Montreal
grandenoirceur wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:39 pm
The Vmedia deal seems too good to be true?
StackemHIGH wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 5:41 pm
I'm on the 50/10 plan from VMedia and am pretty happy with it. Connection is really stable. The main reason I went with VMedia though was to get access to their TV - the cheap internet was just a bonus.
Read the OP. It's $9 a month for the modem and we don't even know if the modem has AC wifi. If it doesn't, you'd have to buy a router. It's more like $45-$50/year
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
Faustsama wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 10:29 am
I'm with Videotron on 120mbps unlimited, I had 5$ rebate for a year that was going to expire in a month. I called to tell them I was going to cancel because 80$ was too expensive for me, the girl put me on hold for 30 seconds and came back to offer me the same speed and unlimited for 55$ + tx for 24 months, modem and router (AC1900 I think, I only keep it as a back-up) are included.

My plan B was going with Virgin's 50mbps for 60$, so I'm pretty happy about the deal, saves me 2 appointments to remove Videotron and install Virgin. She even gave me a credit for the current month since it was already billed that day.
that's really a nice plan for 120m cable from Videotron, I haven't seen their promo this year
and their sale people used to knock on the door but haven't seen them this year.
Apr 8, 2015
804 posts
812 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
AMD wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:15 pm
That's way more than needed for seniors or light users!
I'm on 10/1.5 with eBox and find it's fine for my needs (VOIP, some streaming, some torrents, YouTube, ...)
It's the slowest plan possible offered.. but you are right, for the average user .. all this speed is unnecessary.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2020 posts
544 upvotes
I called videotron today to see if I can bump up my plan for cheap and was able to.

I had the Hybrid 15 (got this through RFD as it was posted, about 3 years ago) which gave me 20/10 D/U and 300GB/month - came to $53/m including all taxes, etc (cable modem free rental)
I saw that TekSavy had better value on their 30 plan than Videotron so I called to see what bump I can get, for nothing to minimal spend. Basically I wanted a bit more bandwidth as well as capacity as more and more HD content is available to be streamed, so I don't want my connection choking and going over my limit.

I got bumped to 30/10, 450GB/month for another $3+taxes/month. Normally this deal would be 75+ or close to that... worked out ok for me, very quick. Was told this is only good for 2 years, but whatever, in 2 years a lot will change.
-also came free with their router, which I told them not to bother sending me as I'm not interested

Just my 0.02, sometimes it's worth a call.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)