Ongoing Deal Discussion

Best Internet Deals in Quebec

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 8:10 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2189 posts
329 upvotes
Anyone have gigabit internet? I'm on ebox 200/30 for like $78 or something a month but I noticed Bell has Fibe 1GB for $70.95 after a 20/mo credit and Videotron has it for $89.95. Any other places for cheap 1GB? Ebox has it for like $134
Feb 17, 2017
27 posts
16 upvotes
Hello,

New customer. Virgin offered me 50MBs for $45 with one month free in QC.

Does anyone know if that's a good offer (most likely to be the "standard" offer)?
Dec 18, 2016
108 posts
65 upvotes
mtlboy wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 3:37 pm
Anyone have gigabit internet? I'm on ebox 200/30 for like $78 or something a month but I noticed Bell has Fibe 1GB for $70.95 after a 20/mo credit and Videotron has it for $89.95. Any other places for cheap 1GB? Ebox has it for like $134
I would definitly go with bell cause it's ftth
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2189 posts
329 upvotes
Anyone have the contact of a bell reseller in montreal, sometimes they have tv/inet packages cheaper than bell
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2189 posts
329 upvotes
Is Bell 1gb internet + basic chan pack+ 15 extra chans (good package) for $101+tx/mo + free rental of 2 receivers + free installation a good deal?
Dec 18, 2005
644 posts
468 upvotes
Montreal
dhomas wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 5:25 pm
I didn't get an invitation, but when I log into my Fizz account and click on get started, it now lets me select internet. 40$ for 120Mbps! Sweet!

Does anyone know if you MUST use their modem/router? Or can you use an existing modem? Or at the very least, can you disable the router feature on their equipment so I can continue to use my Google Wifi?
I've been using Fizz service since Saturday. It works very well so far! Very fast, modem setup was easy. After you initially set up the modem, you can log in again and turn off the wireless, if you have your own router and wi-fi solution. The only other thing I need to do is port forwarding, which is possible from the router/modem. I would have preferred a "dumb" modem and let my actual router do the rest, but the deal was too good to pass up!

Here's my speed test results:

speedtest.png
Sep 23, 2007
86 posts
6 upvotes
Yul
Hi Mtlboy, Only you know what your needs are. Do you really need the 1 Giga speed. How many different equipment are going to need to connect at the same time to the internet ??
Are you satisfied with what you have as service speed now ?
How much are you ready to speed ?

This are all factors you need to review.
Many good options are available to you. Do your research, read back on this forum.

Get back to us all here with your choice.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Apr 8, 2012
55 posts
25 upvotes
COOKSHIRE
Any updates on carrytel? What's your installation date??
Dec 1, 2014
79 posts
92 upvotes
Anjou, QC
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 5:40 pm
Pulled the trigger on carrytel. I will get a call in about a day to confirm the order and should have it installed with the next two weeks. I will report back
Installation done today. Modem is a technicolor all in one. Tech ran a new line since none existed. Plugged it in, working fine.

I wanted to get it set up on my PF sense router and that took a bit of ****. You have to go through a set up wizard to switch the modem into bridge mode. Easy enough but not what I was expecting.

Difficulty came due to my lack of knowledge. I thought in bridge mode it would act like a cable modem where it is always connected to the service and the router just forward your requests to it. Not so. In fact you have to configure your router to log into the service using PPPOE. Really simple to do once you know it needs to be done, it did generate a bit of frustration.

By default it serves Google DNS servers. This also was an easy fix in my router. Not going to get into it here but giving google access to this kind of data about yourself really isn’t a good idea. used open DNS for now but I’m on the hunt for some Canadian hosted privacy focused DNS servers. Eventually though I’m going to have to make my own DNS server though I don’t even have the slightest clue what the steps involved are.

Speed test shows 24 ms, 53 Mb down and 11 mb up.

Everything feels a lot faster than my previous 120 Mb videotron service. I don’t know if I was impacted by peak hour of variability, slow DNS servers or variable latency. Regardless, I am very happy with my choice so far.

50/10 unlimited for 35 a month ALL IN. Absolute no brainer. Should have switched months ago. Bell Canadas technology has obviously improved significantly and I am apparently not too far away from the node. Line can do up to 93 Mb reliably apparently And further upgrades are coming to my neighborhood over the next few months.

However I have it on good authority that bell Canada is still absolute shit at billing people correctly so do like I did and go to a reseller

edit: here's a speed test image with my router in use.

Nov 19, 2018
9 posts
Hi,
Would you pllease leave the link to the carrytel plan that you mentioned? When I go on their website it is only availble for ON not QC.
Thanks
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 5:57 pm
Installation done today. Modem is a technicolor all in one. Tech ran a new line since none existed. Plugged it in, working fine.

I wanted to get it set up on my PF sense router and that took a bit of ****. You have to go through a set up wizard to switch the modem into bridge mode. Easy enough but not what I was expecting.

Difficulty came due to my lack of knowledge. I thought in bridge mode it would act like a cable modem where it is always connected to the service and the router just forward your requests to it. Not so. In fact you have to configure your router to log into the service using PPPOE. Really simple to do once you know it needs to be done, it did generate a bit of frustration.

By default it serves Google DNS servers. This also was an easy fix in my router. Not going to get into it here but giving google access to this kind of data about yourself really isn’t a good idea. used open DNS for now but I’m on the hunt for some Canadian hosted privacy focused DNS servers. Eventually though I’m going to have to make my own DNS server though I don’t even have the slightest clue what the steps involved are.

Speed test shows 24 ms, 53 Mb down and 11 mb up.

Everything feels a lot faster than my previous 120 Mb videotron service. I don’t know if I was impacted by peak hour of variability, slow DNS servers or variable latency. Regardless, I am very happy with my choice so far.

50/10 unlimited for 35 a month ALL IN. Absolute no brainer. Should have switched months ago. Bell Canadas technology has obviously improved significantly and I am apparently not too far away from the node. Line can do up to 93 Mb reliably apparently And further upgrades are coming to my neighborhood over the next few months.

However I have it on good authority that bell Canada is still absolute shit at billing people correctly so do like I did and go to a reseller

edit: here's a speed test image with my router in use.

May 5, 2009
350 posts
123 upvotes
Montreal
When you say you log into your Fizz account and can setup an internet account without being invited, where do you see this? Do you need a CELL fizz account? When I click on "get started", I only can "activate my Sim card"
Dec 18, 2005
644 posts
468 upvotes
Montreal
exeon wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 7:27 am
When you say you log into your Fizz account and can setup an internet account without being invited, where do you see this? Do you need a CELL fizz account? When I click on "get started", I only can "activate my Sim card"
Yes, I believe only current mobile subscribers (possibly even those who signed up for the beta) are eligible for home internet. And even then, I was a mobile beta subscriber and didn't get access to home internet right away.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2673 posts
3006 upvotes
Montreal
exeon wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 7:27 am

To get Fizz's Home Internet at the moment, it's in beta testing only and you need to have received an invitation email from Fizz because you were a Fizz mobile beta tester. Not every beta tester will recive an invitation.

If you are eligible, when you click on "Get started" in your Fizz account, you will be able to select the "Internet" option. If not, it's because you are not eligible for the Fizz Home Internet beta testing and there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry.

No Soup for You.gif

But it doesn't hurt to try even if you didn't receive an invitation. Go into your Fizz account and click "Get started" if you see "Internet" beside "Activate my Sim card" then proceed, your are lucky and benefiting from a Fizz bug or your invitation email got lost somehow, check your Spam folder or the other email addresses you use. But it's very unlikely, especially if you weren't even a mobile beta tester.
Dec 3, 2018
41 posts
51 upvotes
Thank you OP, I am in Montreal and I signed up with Cannet through the modemoutlet website.

Deal is 30/10 unlimited, 24.98$ 1st yr / 29.98 2nd yr / 34.98$ 3rd yr

I paid 40$ service fee, and I am using my own router, I got my first bill 28$ tax included.

I was with videotron before, technician came for 1 minute, it's the same speed that I had with Videotron expect it's much cheaper.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Nataq