Ongoing Deal Discussion

Best Internet Deals in Quebec

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 8:43 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2013 posts
542 upvotes
I don't get where this FIZZ internet is going, by the time people can get it (outside of the beta programs) the cost is going to be the same as market, so why even use it.
Seems like they are targeting only the market that is signing up for their mobile service...
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2013 posts
542 upvotes
LevSky wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:44 pm
I wanted to let everyone know that I've been a satisfied customer of BravoTelecom for a month now with speeds rarely ever going below this speed test. It's using Videotron's cable network. I am on the 60mbps/10mbps deal for 48.95$ + tx. At the time of my order, I had multiple mistakes in my order so I had to call in multiple times and eventually had to physically present myself at their Montreal branch. Apparently there was a bug in their system which now has been fixed. No issues in terms of connection thus far.

I have also tried CarryTel and had many connection issues. I would lose connection around peak times.
Can I use my own Thompson modem? For the record, when I went to BraveTelecom I couldn't even find the 60/10 until I selected Hybrid Fibre internet (which is of course fake as there is no fibre involved). I found it here: https://www.bravotelecom.com/en/offer/h ... unlimited/

Start fees << WTH
Installation fees 49.95 $
Installation fees promotion -49.95 $
Equipment pick up 0.00 $
Docsis 3.0 Modem 70.00 $
New Router AC1200 70.00 $
Subtotal 140.00 $
Taxes 21.00 $
Invoiced total 161.00 $

I don't need the modem or the router...

Are you using your own modem?
Dec 23, 2008
7 posts
vodka wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 4:15 pm
Can I use my own Thompson modem? For the record, when I went to BraveTelecom I couldn't even find the 60/10 until I selected Hybrid Fibre internet (which is of course fake as there is no fibre involved). I found it here: https://www.bravotelecom.com/en/offer/h ... unlimited/

Start fees << WTH
Installation fees 49.95 $
Installation fees promotion -49.95 $
Equipment pick up 0.00 $
Docsis 3.0 Modem 70.00 $
New Router AC1200 70.00 $
Subtotal 140.00 $
Taxes 21.00 $
Invoiced total 161.00 $

I don't need the modem or the router...

Are you using your own modem?
Nah that's it, that's the thing. I also had a Thomson modem but unfortunately they said I had to purchase my own because apparently users would call in and complain that their Internet services were not working properly when it was really a modem issue that the customers would have (that they brought on their own). I don't know what to make of it but I like the deal so I took it. It's more "expensive" during the first year but then on the second year it's really cheaper than many other Internet cable providers.

You can still use your own router though. It's also what I did.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2013 posts
542 upvotes
I don't think I will pay $70 for a modem, when I have my own and works quite well with current 60/10 service. I would consider for $30, that's all they are worth anyway.

"First of all we would like to thank you for the interest regarding our service , unfortunately we don't have the option of using you own modem , but you can use your own router and buy the modem provided by Bravo Telecom "

Sure, they can justify it any way they want, but at the end of the day they want you to buy the modem to make more money off you.
Jul 26, 2008
278 posts
231 upvotes
Montreal
Regarding the Fizz Beta, has anyone seen the fine print : unlimited usage . How do they define this, I would expect a cap ?
Jan 10, 2006
346 posts
129 upvotes
Seems like due to the complication of transferring cable service from one modem to another, they prefer to simply use new modems. Altima charges $25 to transfer cable service (waived with 12 month contract), plus $25 for using one's own modem. They say it's complicated and rare, so they don't even mention it, and some of their agents don't even know they allow it.

It took a lot of back and forth emails for Altima's customer service to finally clarify this:
if for cable transfer and customer wants to use his own modem still active, we need to use one of our unactive modem to place the transfer order (all the orders go with a modem, a modem cannot be active with ISP A and meanwhile be used by ISP B, please understand), after transfer is done, we will send a swap modem request to Videotron, asking them to release our modem and active your own modem (which is released) for your connection. So if you do not have our modem in hand, in between the transfer and swap, you will have no internet, normally it takes 1 working day for the proceed and we avoid weekend for the procedure. If you want no service interruption, either we send you our modem and you send it back, or you come pick it up and return it yourself, which you know there will be cost for both of us.
As we are also charged for each swap request, we charge $25 for this action.
As it is very rare that customer uses their own cable modem, we normally do not enclose the cost unless customer mention this, as the procedure is really a little complicated.
Jan 24, 2015
99 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I am with "Altima Telecom" vcable 15/10mbps, prepaid 1 year contract, free modem rental.

I have renewed for a second year at 439.45$ + tx. (I moved from Ebox 13 months ago.)

36.62$/month for unlimited cable 15/10mbps is a good deal.

Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2013 posts
542 upvotes
fizikz wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:14 pm
Seems like due to the complication of transferring cable service from one modem to another, they prefer to simply use new modems. Altima charges $25 to transfer cable service (waived with 12 month contract), plus $25 for using one's own modem. They say it's complicated and rare, so they don't even mention it, and some of their agents don't even know they allow it.

It took a lot of back and forth emails for Altima's customer service to finally clarify this:
I'm using my own modem with them, I had it when I signed up for the service (at the time I was using Videotron's modem). Gave them the MAC/SN, on the day of the transfer plugged in my owm modem and had service.

Didn't have to pay any transfer fees or anything... of course now, after the 1st year, Altima is bumping the rate up $10/month, so I'm looking for another provider for 60/10.
Jan 10, 2006
346 posts
129 upvotes
vodka wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:08 pm
I'm using my own modem with them, I had it when I signed up for the service (at the time I was using Videotron's modem). Gave them the MAC/SN, on the day of the transfer plugged in my owm modem and had service.

Didn't have to pay any transfer fees or anything... of course now, after the 1st year, Altima is bumping the rate up $10/month, so I'm looking for another provider for 60/10.
Your own modem was not active when starting service with Altima, so it makes sense. You didn't have to go through switching the active modem on the line.

Also, the transfer/installation fee is waived with the 12 month contract.

Are you not able to sign up for another 12 month contract with the promotional pricing? Altima's customer service said it is possible.

I'm currently with Ebox and they can't/won't match competitor's pricing. But some people in the household are quite wary of the uncertainty and potential downtime of making changes.

Fizz beta seems like the best deal right now at $35/month (+ free installation + free modem) for 60/10 Mbps unlimited, at least for those willing to try 'beta' with limited customer service.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2013 posts
542 upvotes
I called their number and spoke to support, they adjusted my rate back to $49.99.
:)

@fizikz I took a chance that what you said would work and looks like it is.

Good stuff!
Dec 30, 2009
169 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
Name: Videotron or equivalent through ModemOutlet
Speed and Bandwidth: 60/10 unlimited
Price: $45.00
Modem: modem. NO WIFI router included. You must buy your own!!!!
Installation: $40
Comments: https://www.modemoutlet.com/fran%C3%A7ais
Any idea which provider this uses?
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
520 upvotes
Brossard, QC
The beta period is almost over. Don't delay to change your plan and take advantage of the new speed option, offered as a result of the overwhelming response from the Fizz community.

Got this, in the email. So it is safe to change your home internet plan before the trial period ends.