Ongoing Deal Discussion

Best Internet Deals in Quebec

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 12:17 pm
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
djrickstar wrote: Thanks! I actually didn't even consider Fizz, I will look it up. Forgot they existed :D

I'm currently oversees (Malaysia) and my VOIP phone is crap so I preferred to ask here first.
I've had Fizz internet since it was introduced. It had some rough patches at the beginning, but has been pretty solid for some time now. I do have periodic issues with my modem (maybe once a month, though they haven't cropped up in maybe a month or two now), but these go away with a reboot. The issues I had at the beginning were around their billing system. There were some problems with deleting credit cards and a limit as to how many cards could be associated to your account. When my credit card got stolen and its number changed, I was unable to update Fizz with a new card number, and my internet was suspended. These issues have since been fixed and I can add/remove credit cards easily now. That said, it did expose the only major drawback with Fizz, as far as I can tell. Their support is exclusively via chat (there is no phone number to call at all) and almost useless. If you know your way around even the basics of technology, you should be fine. But I would have a tough time recommending a service like this to my parents, for example.

With respect to speed, their service is identical to what I had with Videotron. As Temporel mentioned, it is essentially rebadged Videotron Internet (though stripped of support). So, it's fast and reliable. As for price, it's better than some and worse than others. But if you consider price/performance, it's probably at the top of the list.
Last edited by Sanforized on May 6th, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed content
Jan 10, 2006
412 posts
171 upvotes
For those on Fizz, can you still access the modem at 192.168.100.1 ? (if using bridged mode)

A few days ago the modem lost its IP around 1AM before regaining it a few minutes later. During this time I could access the modem and see in the logs that it had failed in negotiating the connection with the other end (they were doing maintenance or smth?). Since it got reestablished, I can no longer connect to the modem at 192.168.100.1 even though everything else works fine. I could power cycle the modem and my router to be sure but I haven't because things are working and I don't feel like interrupting the internet right now (and cuz I like the 115+ days of uptime :P ).

Just wondering if others have experienced something similar, or if the powers that be don't want consumers accessing the modem's info page anymore.
Sep 3, 2018
234 posts
133 upvotes
djrickstar wrote: Thanks! I actually didn't even consider Fizz, I will look it up. Forgot they existed :D

I'm currently oversees (Malaysia) and my VOIP phone is crap so I preferred to ask here first.
You can try iVC Telecom 100M for $39.95 a month. Seems like a good deal for only internet.
https://www.ivctel.com/
Sep 23, 2007
142 posts
24 upvotes
Yul
lensbuyer wrote: You can try iVC Telecom 100M for $39.95 a month. Seems like a good deal for only internet.
https://www.ivctel.com/
Anyone here with IVCTEL ?
If so please share your experience with them.
Thanks in advance for sharing.
Stay Positive and Safe Rainbow
Mar 1, 2020
52 posts
15 upvotes
Québec
djrickstar wrote: img]

Regular internet: 50mb/100gb for 55$, 30mb/150gb for 62$ or 60mb/unlimited for 79$
So Helix 60mb/unlimited is 29$ cheaper than the "regular" 60mb/unlimited? Am I missing something here?

I'm very sorry if it is a noob question and I missed something obvious
Well to use helix you need the helix hardware which you can buy all at once (240$) or that you can pay monthly at 10$ per month. So if you don’t have the helix hardware already you should consider this too. You can try buying it from kijiji at a reduced price though. For the 400 vs 100 for the same price, I think it’s just a promo rather than a mistake.

Good luck!
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
fizikz wrote: For those on Fizz, can you still access the modem at 192.168.100.1 ? (if using bridged mode)

A few days ago the modem lost its IP around 1AM before regaining it a few minutes later. During this time I could access the modem and see in the logs that it had failed in negotiating the connection with the other end (they were doing maintenance or smth?). Since it got reestablished, I can no longer connect to the modem at 192.168.100.1 even though everything else works fine. I could power cycle the modem and my router to be sure but I haven't because things are working and I don't feel like interrupting the internet right now (and cuz I like the 115+ days of uptime :P ).

Just wondering if others have experienced something similar, or if the powers that be don't want consumers accessing the modem's info page anymore.
I can still access the modem via 192.168.100.1, while in bridge mode, even though my internal network uses a different subnet. No change for me, thus far.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2601 posts
610 upvotes
Montreal
outtolearn88 wrote: Anyone here with IVCTEL ?
If so please share your experience with them.
Thanks in advance for sharing.
Stay Positive and Safe Rainbow
Curious as well!!
This is a very low price!!

Found more info here: ivctel-qc-ivctel-100-30-mbps-unlimited- ... r-2369647/
Last edited by Mcklain on May 6th, 2020 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Nov 22, 2019
72 posts
16 upvotes
I got Fizz installed yesterday. I'm paying for the 60/mbps plan. After doing a speed test, I get a result of 67/mbps!! I'm am not used to overdelivering. Very satisfied thus far.
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
ScatterStash wrote: I got Fizz installed yesterday. I'm paying for the 60/mbps plan. After doing a speed test, I get a result of 67/mbps!! I'm am not used to overdelivering. Very satisfied thus far.
Same for me. I pay (very little!) for 120/20 mbps and regularly measure ~130 mbps down though my upstream speed is always at around 20 mbps.
speedtest_2020-05-06.png
Apr 8, 2015
918 posts
916 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
ScatterStash wrote: I got Fizz installed yesterday. I'm paying for the 60/mbps plan. After doing a speed test, I get a result of 67/mbps!! I'm am not used to overdelivering. Very satisfied thus far.
For those who installed Fizz along with covid, I assume someone has to come to your house and fix the cabling? I have found videotron cabling from previous house owner but it probably needs to be extended and tested..
Jan 10, 2006
412 posts
171 upvotes
dhomas wrote: I can still access the modem via 192.168.100.1, while in bridge mode, even though my internal network uses a different subnet. No change for me, thus far.
Thanks for confirming. I guess I just need to power cycle the equipment.
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
fizikz wrote: Thanks for confirming. I guess I just need to power cycle the equipment.
Out of curiosity, what is the current Software Version of your modem? Mine hasn't changed in over a year and is at 2.0.10.43b8. Maybe they're starting to push out a new firmware for the modem which could affect this?

P.S. I realize it would be difficult to get the SW version without having access to the modem's IP, but if you plug a laptop directly into the modem (instead of going through the bridged router), you might be able to get access to the landing page?
Jan 10, 2006
412 posts
171 upvotes
dhomas wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the current Software Version of your modem? Mine hasn't changed in over a year and is at 2.0.10.43b8. Maybe they're starting to push out a new firmware for the modem which could affect this?

P.S. I realize it would be difficult to get the SW version without having access to the modem's IP, but if you plug a laptop directly into the modem (instead of going through the bridged router), you might be able to get access to the landing page?
I decided to finally power cycle. I can now access the modem's IP as before. The firmware version is still 2.0.10.43b8.

When the issue had occurred, I noticed that in the few minutes when the modem had lost it's external IP, I was able to access the modem and could see "new" tabs including logs indicating IP had been lost, connection/channel negotiations, signal levels, etc. I had never seen those logs and data before, and they are no longer visible now either. Too bad. I got excited that it might be a new feature, but maybe they don't want consumers seeing logs under normal conditions.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
Nokster wrote: Well to use helix you need the helix hardware which you can buy all at once (240$) or that you can pay monthly at 10$ per month. So if you don’t have the helix hardware already you should consider this too. You can try buying it from kijiji at a reduced price though. For the 400 vs 100 for the same price, I think it’s just a promo rather than a mistake.

Good luck!
Yes, Videotron forces us to own the Helix Fi gateway (pay extra $10/month) is kinda implying 2 years contract for having Helix internet. If we terminate the service early, we have to pay the remaining balance of the Helix Fi gateway ’s cost.

If the Helix Fi gateway malfunction and there is no more guarantee (like buying from Kijiji) we have to buy another one. Compare to regular internet plan which has free cable modem rental.
* The amount of the monthly discount varies depending on the plan and the combination chosen. Prices include the purchase of a Helix Fi gateway. The Helix Fi gateway may be purchased through a single instalment of $240 or an instalment plan of $10/month for 24 months. Taxes not included. Taxes on equipment purchased through an instalment payment plan must be paid in full upon purchase. An extended product warranty for an additional 24-month period is also available for $36 per equipment. Customers who unsubscribe before the end of the 24-month payment period will have to pay the remaining balance of the equipment’s costs.

Nov 22, 2019
72 posts
16 upvotes
superxxxstud wrote: For those who installed Fizz along with covid, I assume someone has to come to your house and fix the cabling? I have found videotron cabling from previous house owner but it probably needs to be extended and tested..
A videotron technician come over to make the installation. He asked where I wanted the router. While we already had a covered up cable junction in the living room I didn't want a bulky modem there, so I asked him to instal it in the computer room. He told me afterwards that he did way more work than he was supposed to. He was a good mood. At my request, he made a hole in my living room to the bathroom closet, to the computer room to allow the cable to travel there. It's all looking quite sleek since it rests immediately above white molding, you can barely see the cable.

Top notch service in my opinion. He even gave up me tips for how I can make my cable setup more flexible in the future using a splitter in my junction box or something to that effect.