Ongoing Deal Discussion

Best Internet Deals in Quebec

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 12:17 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 18, 2004
1243 posts
97 upvotes
HarrisN38049 wrote: I never looked into rogers or fido, I will do that. Carrytel has a modem charge right, whereas Fizz has no installation fees and no modem charges? Or is it the usual 5$ per month charge? I never heard of Virgin's internet. Is there an installation fee, as well as, modem fee?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Carrytel right now is asking $49 for the modem (you have to purchase it) and there is a $69 cancellation fee if you cancel before the 12 months contact ends. It's a huge nono for me. I've just signed up with Fizz personally.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
After 5 years with Videotron 30Mbps, the price original around $40 with all kind of credits (also having mobile phone with Videotron). Now, it increases to $51. I've tried to call retention several times to change my plan to higher speed with similar $50 price but they don't give any credit compare to the current advertise plan price.

I've just called Bell and there is Fibe available for my house. They offered me the "Internet promo - ongoing CR $35.00" (permanent credit as long as we don't change the plan) for the Fibe 300 (300 Mbps up / 300 Mbps down). So the Fibe 300 price = $89.95 - $35 = $54.95. They also said they waive the $59.95 installation fee.
Bell free Home Hub one-time rental promo (CR $199.95). We have to pay $240 for Videotron Helix internet plan.
I think they might give higher "Internet promo - ongoing" credit if we choose higher package like Gigabit internet.

This $54,95 price for Fibe 300 is good enough for me to avoid to have internet with third party provider like Fizz (120Mbps for $60), IvcTel (100Mbps $39.95 first year, $49.95 second year, $59.95 installation fee ==> internet provided by CIK telecom which is known for throttle speed).
Last edited by X360 on May 31st, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
X360 wrote: After 5 years with Videotron 30Mbps, the price original around $40 with all kind of credits (also having mobile phone with Videotron). Now, it increases to $51. I've tried to call retention several times to change my plan to higher speed with similar $50 price but they don't give any credit compare to the current advertise plan price.

I've just called Bell and there is Fibe available for my house. They offered me the "Internet promo - ongoing CR $35.00" (permanent credit as long as we don't change the plan) for the Fibe 300 (300 Mbps up / 300 Mbps down). So the Fibe 300 price = $89.95 - $35 = $54.95. They also said they waive the $59.95 installation fee.
Bell free Home Hub one-time rental promo (CR $199.95). We have to pay $240 for Videotron Helix internet plan.

This $54,95 price for Fibe 300 is good enough for me to avoid to have internet with third party provider like Fizz (120Mbps for $60), IvcTel (100Mbps $39.95 first year, $49.95 second year, $59.95 installation fee ==> internet provided by CIK telecom which is known for throttle speed).
I've had enough bad experiences with Bell and DSL resellers that I'll never touch their network again. I'm pretty happy with Fizz, but especially with the cable network, as opposed to the DSL one.

That price point is pretty sweet, though. Just make sure to check your invoice every month. One of the reasons I can't stand Bell is because they would often have problems with billing and "forget" to apply credits.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
One thing I like about the Fibe internet is the crazy upload speed. With the current COVID-19, working at home, multiple people in the house with video calls and home camera constantly upload to server for monitoring. The 10Mbps upload speed isn't enough. 300Mbps upload speed should be good enough to satisfy although upload activities.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 23, 2007
142 posts
24 upvotes
Yul
Toule wrote: "
I just left ebox for Transat Telecom, they have a great promo if you subscribe trough planhub. It cost me 815$ for 13 months for unlimited 100mbs, including a 60$ deposit. That have a great service and the speed is good."

Hello, Can I ask how your service has been with Transat Telecom ? Installation went alright ?

Thanks for sharing your experience
Rainbow
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
3923 posts
5416 upvotes
Montreal
X360 wrote: (...) They offered me the "Internet promo - ongoing CR $35.00" (permanent credit as long as we don't change the plan) for the Fibe 300 (300 Mbps up / 300 Mbps down). So the Fibe 300 price = $89.95 - $35 = $54.95. (...)
The $35 ongoing credit is nice but that won't prevent Bell from regularly raising their $89.95 price which means that in the end, you'll steadily pay more and more. That's Bell's deceitful marketing: emphasize the "ongoing" credit to make you think you get a locked-in deal. Think again.
Sr. Member
Nov 18, 2012
921 posts
529 upvotes
X360 wrote: Yes, Videotron forces us to own the Helix Fi gateway (pay extra $10/month) is kinda implying 2 years contract for having Helix internet. If we terminate the service early, we have to pay the remaining balance of the Helix Fi gateway ’s cost.

If the Helix Fi gateway malfunction and there is no more guarantee (like buying from Kijiji) we have to buy another one. Compare to regular internet plan which has free cable modem rental.

Image
Wifi is great on this though.

Automatic switch between 5g and 2.4hz is fun.

I just got back on videotron after being on altima for 2 months, videotron is worth any hassle.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: The $35 ongoing credit is nice but that won't prevent Bell from regularly raising their $89.95 price which means that in the end, you'll steadily pay more and more. That's Bell's deceitful marketing: emphasize the "ongoing" credit to make you think you get a locked-in deal. Think again.
Don't be that negative. The price increase could happen to any provider. The key thing is we shouldn't subscribe to any provider that force us to pay for modem, wifi router, installation fee, shipping fee, etc... and contract... so we could switch the provider anytime we want but I still prefer to stay at big provider like Bell or Videotron.

As I stated previously, 5 years with Videotron and they raised the price of internet around $10 and same as third party providers... with Bell Fibe 300 $35 permanent credit, I expect to have internet with Bell for at least 5 years (assume they keep increase average $5 / month) before considering switch to other provider.

For me, if your house able to get Bell Fibe then it is better to switch (if you're able to get permanent credit) as Fibe internet is super fast (upload and download) and Bell not throttle the internet. With Videotron cable, they might throttle the upload speed and the download speed might be slower if your area having many heavy internet users.
Member
Apr 17, 2009
456 posts
63 upvotes
Transat Telecom service was great, it was a remote installation. I plugged the modem myself and they activated it from their office. I recommend them, it was very easy.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
X360 wrote: Don't be that negative. The price increase could happen to any provider. The key thing is we shouldn't subscribe to any provider that force us to pay for modem, wifi router, installation fee, shipping fee, etc... and contract... so we could switch the provider anytime we want but I still prefer to stay at big provider like Bell or Videotron.

As I stated previously, 5 years with Videotron and they raised the price of internet around $10 and same as third party providers... with Bell Fibe 300 $35 permanent credit, I expect to have internet with Bell for at least 5 years (assume they keep increase average $5 / month) before considering switch to other provider.

For me, if your house able to get Bell Fibe then it is better to switch (if you're able to get permanent credit) as Fibe internet is super fast (upload and download) and Bell not throttle the internet. With Videotron cable, they might throttle the upload speed and the download speed might be slower if your area having many heavy internet users.
Videotron ABSOLUTELY does not throttle. In my experience, Bell has throttled. If they do not now, they have in the past. If you have to use DSL, though, it's best to go with Bell directly and not a reseller. They treat their resellers even worse than they treat their customers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2016 posts
1075 upvotes
Montreal
X360 wrote: After 5 years with Videotron 30Mbps, the price original around $40 with all kind of credits (also having mobile phone with Videotron). Now, it increases to $51. I've tried to call retention several times to change my plan to higher speed with similar $50 price but they don't give any credit compare to the current advertise plan price.

I've just called Bell and there is Fibe available for my house. They offered me the "Internet promo - ongoing CR $35.00" (permanent credit as long as we don't change the plan) for the Fibe 300 (300 Mbps up / 300 Mbps down). So the Fibe 300 price = $89.95 - $35 = $54.95. They also said they waive the $59.95 installation fee.
Bell free Home Hub one-time rental promo (CR $199.95). We have to pay $240 for Videotron Helix internet plan.
I think they might give higher "Internet promo - ongoing" credit if we choose higher package like Gigabit internet.

This $54,95 price for Fibe 300 is good enough for me to avoid to have internet with third party provider like Fizz (120Mbps for $60), IvcTel (100Mbps $39.95 first year, $49.95 second year, $59.95 installation fee ==> internet provided by CIK telecom which is known for throttle speed).
dhomas wrote: I've had enough bad experiences with Bell and DSL resellers that I'll never touch their network again. I'm pretty happy with Fizz, but especially with the cable network, as opposed to the DSL one.

That price point is pretty sweet, though. Just make sure to check your invoice every month. One of the reasons I can't stand Bell is because they would often have problems with billing and "forget" to apply credits.
Temporel wrote: The $35 ongoing credit is nice but that won't prevent Bell from regularly raising their $89.95 price which means that in the end, you'll steadily pay more and more. That's Bell's deceitful marketing: emphasize the "ongoing" credit to make you think you get a locked-in deal. Think again.
X360 wrote: Don't be that negative. The price increase could happen to any provider. The key thing is we shouldn't subscribe to any provider that force us to pay for modem, wifi router, installation fee, shipping fee, etc... and contract... so we could switch the provider anytime we want but I still prefer to stay at big provider like Bell or Videotron.

As I stated previously, 5 years with Videotron and they raised the price of internet around $10 and same as third party providers... with Bell Fibe 300 $35 permanent credit, I expect to have internet with Bell for at least 5 years (assume they keep increase average $5 / month) before considering switch to other provider.

For me, if your house able to get Bell Fibe then it is better to switch (if you're able to get permanent credit) as Fibe internet is super fast (upload and download) and Bell not throttle the internet. With Videotron cable, they might throttle the upload speed and the download speed might be slower if your area having many heavy internet users.
As someone who consulted for their CRM system, it is the most devious piece of software in existence which makes them a ton of money:
1) Just because a representative tells you something, doesn't mean it's true. The credits they offer are usually coded for a limited period of time. It is almost impossible to code the credits as permanent.
2) There is no association between credits and plan price. You are not guaranteed a plan price of $54.95, you are only guaranteed a monthly credit of $35 with that plan. Within a few months, they almost always raise the plan price, thereby negating your credits.
3) Calls are routed in circles, the software will drive any rep crazy who is asked to resolve the issue with more credits. You can spend hours and hours on the phone trying to resolve the issue, only for it to pop up again after a few months.

If you really want to stick with Bell, get the exact same service from Virgin Home Internet. Virgin is also Bell, but with no billing nonsense or manipulations. My bill hasn't changed in years. When I negotiate a deal, it actually sticks, which is pleasant.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
dhomas wrote: Videotron ABSOLUTELY does not throttle. In my experience, Bell has throttled. If they do not now, they have in the past. If you have to use DSL, though, it's best to go with Bell directly and not a reseller. They treat their resellers even worse than they treat their customers.
Bell throttled is like 7-10 years ago when they provided slow DSL and no unlimited plan. Now, they not throttle anymore and clearly saying that there is no active Internet Traffic Management Policy for wireline internet.
There are currently no active Internet Traffic Management Practices (ITMP) that slow down Internet traffic on Bell retail wireline Internet services. Bell has a long history of building state-of-the-art networks where investment in network capacity, tools and engineering resources help to manage network capacity and congestion.
https://support.bell.ca/billing-and-acc ... ep=3#step3

Videotron clearly specified on their website that they're throttling upload speed for those internet plan having high upload speed. For example, they're clearly saying "The Internet Traffic Management Policy applies from Internet 100" on their website.
https://videotron.com/en/shop/helix-pla ... d-internet
https://support.videotron.com/residenti ... management

Heavy city user already reported Videotron throttle their upload speed a lot lately.
videotron-videotron-new-400-down-50-up- ... #p30564657

Third party providers have their own traffic management. For example, TekSavvy has very detail webpage which describes what/when they are throttle. If users don't want throttle they could pay extra $5/month to opt out.
https://www.teksavvy.com/policies/legal ... es-policy/
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
deal_king wrote: If you really want to stick with Bell, get the exact same service from Virgin Home Internet. Virgin is also Bell, but with no billing nonsense or manipulations. My bill hasn't changed in years. When I negotiate a deal, it actually sticks, which is pleasant.
I recommended people getting Bell FTTH internet with crazy upload speed if they could at low price. The Virgin Home Internet (FTTN with 10Mbps upload speed) won't be exactly the same as Bell FTTH. As of right now, I don't think we can get Bell FTTH from any resellers.
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2005
787 posts
740 upvotes
Montreal
X360 wrote: Bell throttled is like 7-10 years ago when they provided slow DSL and no unlimited plan. Now, they not throttle anymore and clearly saying that there is no active Internet Traffic Management Policy for wireline internet.

https://support.bell.ca/billing-and-acc ... ep=3#step3

Videotron clearly specified on their website that they're throttling upload speed for those internet plan having high upload speed. For example, they're clearly saying "The Internet Traffic Management Policy applies from Internet 100" on their website.
https://videotron.com/en/shop/helix-pla ... d-internet
https://support.videotron.com/residenti ... management

Heavy city user already reported Videotron throttle their upload speed a lot lately.
videotron-videotron-new-400-down-50-up- ... #p30564657

Third party providers have their own traffic management. For example, TekSavvy has very detail webpage which describes what/when they are throttle. If users don't want throttle they could pay extra $5/month to opt out.
https://www.teksavvy.com/policies/legal ... es-policy/
That lines up with my experience. I quit Bell just over 10 years ago, I think. At the time they were throttling. I also had an experience with a DSL reseller where my speed dropped from 10mbps to 1mbps, not as a temporary throttling method, but permanently. The reseller said the change came from Bell directly and it was difficult to get Bell to do anything for them ahead of the Bell "direct" customers. I switched to Bell at that point, but the constant billing "errors" and promotions not being applied made me jump ship when I moved. Some of my family members have been or are currently with Bell since I left and they're not heavy users so they wouldn't notice throttling. But they do notice billing issues, and those continue to this day.

I've moved to the Videotron network and have had almost no issues since, excluding a problem with billing I had with Fizz.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3383 posts
3216 upvotes
Montreal
dhomas wrote: That lines up with my experience. I quit Bell just over 10 years ago, I think. At the time they were throttling. I also had an experience with a DSL reseller where my speed dropped from 10mbps to 1mbps, not as a temporary throttling method, but permanently. The reseller said the change came from Bell directly and it was difficult to get Bell to do anything for them ahead of the Bell "direct" customers. I switched to Bell at that point, but the constant billing "errors" and promotions not being applied made me jump ship when I moved. Some of my family members have been or are currently with Bell since I left and they're not heavy users so they wouldn't notice throttling. But they do notice billing issues, and those continue to this day.

I've moved to the Videotron network and have had almost no issues since, excluding a problem with billing I had with Fizz.
That's what happened to most of our heavy internet users in Quebec...
+ 10 years ago, Bell still provided unlimited plan, heavy users having Bell DSL internet as Videotron internet was not that good at that time compare to DSL.
+ 7 years ago, all the big providers started to remove the unlimited plan and forced CRTC to raise tariff and introduced Internet Traffic Management Practices (ITMP) as they couldn't keep up because of those heavy users causing congestion lol.
+ Heavy users had to run to those third party providers like Acanac, TakeSavvy, Ebox, etc... for unlimited plan.
+ 5 years ago, Videotron improved their network and provided the unlimited plan. Heavy users run to Videotron as they could get faster download/upload speed compare to Bell DSL.
+ Now, Videotron throttling their upload speed. I think heavy users will once again run from Videotron to Bell if they could get the Bell FTTH at the low price...

Top