• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2018 1:59 am
[OP]
Apr 12, 2009
370 posts
52 upvotes

Best IPTV for a non computer person?

Looking to set up my dad with IPTV.
He does not own a computer and just recently got a a cellphone. He watches a lot of French Canadian channels.

I saw a company that is now offering a lot of Canadian channels and they have their own plug and play box for 120$ and with 20$ a month. I can't find it anymore but wondering if anyone has a suggestion for me? Not sure what would be best for him?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4354 posts
605 upvotes
Mag254 is the easiest box to use.
Aug 14, 2013
165 posts
107 upvotes
CALGARY
I suggest a BuzzTV XPL 3000 with a goldtv subscription. You can "favourite" all his relevant channels and then its even easier than the cable which he is used to!
[OP]
Apr 12, 2009
370 posts
52 upvotes
Thanks. Does it matter that the mag254 seems to be really old? Should I get him a newer one?

The buzzbox seems to have a lot of negative reviews with people having issues?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2558 posts
1239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Baigle wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 1:46 pm
Thanks. Does it matter that the mag254 seems to be really old? Should I get him a newer one?

The buzzbox seems to have a lot of negative reviews with people having issues?
Dude it's for your dad, just get a MAG322w1 (w1 is for wireless with N150) and a good sub which you can try finding through the Best IPTV Service thread.

The last thing you want is to have numerous phone calls from your pops and go back and forth trying to help him out. The MAG boxes are plain and simple, like an iPhone!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11553 posts
1625 upvotes
i suggest Mi Box then install STBemu and u r done

forget about others..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2558 posts
1239 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kiasu wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 2:31 pm
i suggest Mi Box then install STBemu and u r done

forget about others..
While that is a valid box and a great suggestion, only flaw is, if his dad was to press home button or another button which opens another app or menu, then OP will get numerous SOS calls from his dad. Always try to minimize support calls when dealing with a newbie in technology, give the least amount of functions, so they can enjoy the time watching TV instead of calling OP every now and then.

Just my 2cents!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4729 posts
631 upvotes
Calgary
I am thinking about a MAG322 Wi as my first dip into IPTV

Does it have ability to PVR - via stick or Hard drive plugged into USB slot?

Does it have ability for me to create "favorites list" of channels so I don't have to always scroll thru the complete available list?

Does it have ability to access some form of "online" TV guide?

TIA
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.