• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 5:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1880 posts
459 upvotes

The BEST IPTV Service and Box?

OK I have come here with alot of stuff through the years and am asking for a bit of assistance... I went through the other threads and they are just soooooo long. So...hoping for a bit of return help.

I pay $240 a month Cogeco and HATE IT!

I just tried Set TV and like it but normal channels are SD based where even some of the HD movies appear darker than normal and SD. I also dont like the guide.

What is the absolute BEST IPTV network going and with the best guide? I am looking for all HD Canadian channels as well such as City, CBC, etc...

Thanks ahead.
60 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20227 posts
9017 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
If you want to get into the iptv game here’s a few rules:

1. It’ll never be as good as cable from companies with unlimited budgets
2. Never sign up for more than 3-6 months at a time unless you get a deal you can’t refuse
3. What’s good today might be shit tomorrow. The key is to get on an iptv server that’s just starting out and is awesome or one that was good, had tons of people jump on the bandwagon, turned to shit, had people leave and is now good again due to less strain on their servers

Since you’re paying over 2 bills to cogeco seems like you would have a decent budget. So:

1. Get a start.ca internet connection
2. Get an nvidia shield
3. Call cogeco and tell them to go pound sand
4. Get a crown, epicstreams, mystreams or Vader iptv subscription (I recommend getting 2 just so you have a backup)
5. If a server turns to garbage, #walkon

Oh and the best guide I’ve ever seen is on the new mystreams addon but it’s in beta stage and incredibly buggy at the moment. Hopefully it improves with time.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1880 posts
459 upvotes
Thank for responding. I am looking at Limitless IPTV... It seems to have the best Guide and most channels, with tons of great reviews. Is anyone here using that?

Thoughts? Checking the others you suggested.
Jan 15, 2010
455 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
As said above. Get 2. For the price it still cheaper. You will always run into situations where one is down.

Some service also offer multiple streams to the same house. So you can watch on multiple TVs at once. Just something to consider. Doesn’t mean they are the best either.

You can sometimes get a one day trial from certain services. If you just want to try it. I recommend trying it during peak times.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1880 posts
459 upvotes
I am here because I tried Set TV and figured if I could find one with more HD and a good guide... It would be perfect.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4083 upvotes
Ottawa
Take the following 2things under consideration:

1) the best service in the world is always offered by someone who has something to sell you.

2) once a user finds the holy grail of iptv service through trial and error the last thing he wants to do is share it publicly with the masses to make sure it turns to shit with oversubbing in the next week.

Keep that in mind and you’ll realise the your question doesn’t make sense for someone to answer.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Oct 24, 2004
660 posts
104 upvotes
Another option is to get Direct tv now or Sling TV with a vpn. Do the zip code trick, use your Canadian cc when signing up. What’s best about this is you can split the cost with some one as you can have multiple streams.
Grab a Amazon Fire tv stick or Apple TV and off you go. What I like about the fire stick is that there’s a vpn app as for Apple TV you have to add the vpn threw your router.

For Canadian content put up an antenna, It’s all in HD and free.
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
18 posts
1 upvote
flamenko wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 11:10 am
OK I have come here with alot of stuff through the years and am asking for a bit of assistance... I went through the other threads and they are just soooooo long. So...hoping for a bit of return help.

I pay $240 a month Cogeco and HATE IT!

I just tried Set TV and like it but normal channels are SD based where even some of the HD movies appear darker than normal and SD. I also dont like the guide.

What is the absolute BEST IPTV network going and with the best guide? I am looking for all HD Canadian channels as well such as City, CBC, etc...

Thanks ahead.
I have been hearing a lot about few of the streaming boxes among those best following are some which have come to my notice a lot
  • H96 pro
  • R99 TV box by Ebox
  • MyGica 1900
And obviously then there are some top tiers such as Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire TV but nonetheless make a wise decision by completely knowing the best kodi boxes . I have been using Seguro Trongle x4 which has Android 6.0 and 2GHz Quad Core processor with ARM Cortex-A53 CPU alongside a Penta-Core processor.
Nov 30, 2005
584 posts
43 upvotes
No experience with any boxes being that I use Kodi on my Sony TV.

I've tried Vader/Set and Epic and of the three, I find Epic to be much better. Set TV interface (how you switch from EPG and normal channel surfing) was not very functional and Vader's EPG wasn't that great. VOD selection on epic was also much better than Set and Vader.
I'm in the same boat as you and looking to ditch Cogeco. I've already put in my order with Carrytel and will be cutting the coord at the end of the month (stupid cogeco won't let me cancel outside of their arbitary 5 day window).

I was using perfect player but I didn't like it so I will be switching to Kodi using Simple IPTV client instead. If someone had a better suggestion, please let me know.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20227 posts
9017 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
ZxExN wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:56 am

I've tried Vader/Set and Epic and of the three, I find Epic to be much better. Set TV interface (how you switch from EPG and normal channel surfing) was not very functional and Vader's EPG wasn't that great. VOD selection on epic was also much better than Set and Vader.
I'm in the same boat as you and looking to ditch Cogeco. I've already put in my order with Carrytel and will be cutting the coord at the end of the month (stupid cogeco won't let me cancel outside of their arbitary 5 day window).

I was using perfect player but I didn't like it so I will be switching to Kodi using Simple IPTV client instead. If someone had a better suggestion, please let me know.
iptv simple client for epicstreams is great. the best option imo

only issue is that it doesn't support vod. For VOD you can get the gse iptv app (for ios or android), load up the epicstreams m3u playlist and you'll have the ability to pause, rewind and fast forward.

so simple client for live
gse iptv for vod

done
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Jan 15, 2010
455 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
ZxExN wrote:

Kodi with Simple IPTV client is the way to go only if you are ready for a lot of work. I'm a little OCD with my setup but its clean.

Not all providers provide m3u/xml files which you need but I also found some re sellers didn't even know how to do it. Don't waste your time with them, if you ever need support they will probably not be able to help.

Some providers provide the files needed but they may be broken and not work properly with Kodi. For example, Ok2 had illegal characters or tags that broke the importing. It imports but would stop so you didn't get all of the channels and one of the issues was that they were providing the icon data in the icon tag instead of a url. Kodi didn't like this. Some of their tags were also cut off.

So if you are savvy enough there are programs out there (such as m3u-builder) that will help you work with the M3U files and combine/clean up that you can have run on a schedule. But it will require some learning and setup. You can also use this program to filter out anything you may not want, for example other languages, VOD stuff (this will clog up the guide) etc. I know Vader/MyStreams have plugins for their service that will integrate the VOD into your library setup but I don't use them and found their plugins are heavy and install bunch of stuff. Use it to also sort your channels to your liking. You can sort it to feel just like a rogers box if you want. And also keep in mind these services add new channels every now and then. So you need a way to find these and add/filter them as well. Sometimes they will add a new language or just an updated channel that they renamed. Another tip, if you have more than one service you can combine them and do something like put them 1000 channels appart. So if your watching channel 33 and that service is giving problems, go to 1033 and you get the same channel on the next service or 2033 etc.

As for the guide data, you will find some with better guide data than others. And even what they provide may be a mess. I would recommend creating your own guide data with a service such as iptv-epg.com. They actually provide good guide data and service in the forums for any missing data.

Once you have a nice looking m3u/xml file you can import it into Kodi and let it populate the channels and guide data. It will look nice and clean. There is also a trick with Kodi that you can set it up to color code the programs. For example, all sports can be in red, talk shows in green etc. This info was a pain for me to find but google for genres.xml and it goes in the pvr.iptvsimple folder in the userdata. I had to actually open up the code for the addon to figure this part out and get it working.

If all this sounds intimidating, go ahead and just do the import of the raw data and see if that works for you. Everybody's needs are different. Vadar allows some of the filtering to be done by adding parameters to the m3u URL so that will help you quite a bit as well. Hopefully this will help somebody if they ever want to do something similar.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20227 posts
9017 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I agree the vader/mystreams m3u filtering option is very good/useful
Aug 12, 2017
367 posts
60 upvotes
ZxExN wrote:

I would not invest in IPTV. If Bell and Rogers have their way these IPTV services will disappear.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/05 ... _23297850/