• Nov 27th, 2019 1:38 pm
[OP]
Mar 12, 2013
327 posts
135 upvotes
Edmonton

Best Jump Starter and Battery in Market

Hello RFDers

I am looking for the best jump starters and car batteries. I dont have the slightest idea. Was planning to go the car dealer for the battery replacement but i have a very bad experience in the past.

I am looking for the best available that gives the value for money.

ps: Canadian tire has only motomaster batteries.. dont know if they are good enough. also the rating for these batteries is 3 stars
34 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1411 posts
472 upvotes
Folks on redflagdeals say Costco Kirkland batteries are good. Second choice would be Walmart ( I think it EverStart). I think both are made by Johnson company

I don't have a jump starter, but do have a Motomaster Battery Charger (needle type) 10 Amp 2Amp type. Brought it when it was on sale for 50% or so.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3224 posts
1773 upvotes
Burlington
I'll throw my hat in for a kirkland battery. Replaced an AC Delco battery in my car about a year ago and it's worked fine since.
Jul 21, 2011
872 posts
810 upvotes
Knowhere
costco!, always costco!

mine failed after 3 years of use, costco refunded me 100$, and I paid 110 for a new one. so basically they chagred 10$ and gave me a new one.

costco car battery is good also to begin with.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4967 posts
4085 upvotes
Edmonton
I will recommend Costco as well because their warranty makes the deal. Most moderately priced car batteries will need to be replaced within 5 years in my experience so I just buy based on warranty.

No experience with jump starters but if your battery keeps draining then get a mechanic to check your car. Could be the alternator or a current leak and not your battery.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
I bought from a battery dealer mostly because I wanted a deep cycle that Costco didn't carry.
I drain my batteries quite often and draining regular batteries kills them. Deep cycles are much better at this.

As for jump starters, I like my Jump-N-Carry JNC660.
It's big and heavy, but it gets the job done 100% of the time.
Last time I tried one of those tiny handheld ones and it didn't do squat. Literally didn't even turn over once. Had to call AAA.
I did buy a bigger one since I drive a full sized SUV but I haven't had a chance to test it.
When I replace my battery I'll test it to see if it'll start with nothing but it attached.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1052 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Somewhat depends on what battery you need. Costco doesn't carry H8 batteries, but the Walmart one does the trick.
Oct 16, 2019
143 posts
80 upvotes
Scotty has a video on YouTube about which jump starter is the best.
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
JNC is the beast.. Has never let me down. This is what car dealers use.. good like for like 20 Jump starts before you need to recharge.

death_hawk wrote: I bought from a battery dealer mostly because I wanted a deep cycle that Costco didn't carry.
I drain my batteries quite often and draining regular batteries kills them. Deep cycles are much better at this.

Last time I tried one of those tiny handheld ones and it didn't do squat. Literally didn't even turn over once. Had to call AAA.
I did buy a bigger one since I drive a full sized SUV but I haven't had a chance to test it.
When I replace my battery I'll test it to see if it'll start with nothing but it attached.
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
342 upvotes
Milton
I use the Noco Genius Boost for jump starters, they may not hold as many charges as the Jump and Carry or other larger ones, but they still hold several charges, and take up very small amount of space. I have one in both our cars, and have given ones as gifts. There's also a Motormaster version that is basically the same but typically cheaper. They all go on sale fairly often, especially in the fall/winter.
Dec 7, 2011
785 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I bought from a battery dealer mostly because I wanted a deep cycle that Costco didn't carry.

It's a shame Costco doesn't carry the deep cycle batteries anymore. I used to get them for my scissor lift and our work vans to run the inverters. It's hard to beat their price and warranty if they carry the battery you want.

As for jump starters, I tried a NOCO GB 30 when they were first introduced. That thing was absolute garbage. It could barely boost a car in the summer. I never had any luck with it in the winter. I now use it as a USB charger. My other booster pack, which I bought around 20+ years ago was from Mac. It looks very similar to the JnC model. I've replaced the battery once and it's still going strong. Bulky but has never let me down. I'd love to keep one of the smaller boosters around because of its size but always talk myself out of it after my last experience.
Oct 2, 2017
744 posts
523 upvotes
Don't be a fool and just pick them up and walk out of the store.

I know someone who did and the battery was always at falling back to 10v. She even got charged for the boost fee smh
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
mer1ion wrote: It's a shame Costco doesn't carry the deep cycle batteries anymore.
They've never carried them in my size, but they did for 2 or 3 other sizes that are common to deep cycles.
Did they pull them?
I used to get them for my scissor lift and our work vans to run the inverters. It's hard to beat their price and warranty if they carry the battery you want.

I grabbed one to stuff in a trolling motor case to use as a portable power source. That makes me sad.
Dec 7, 2011
785 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: They've never carried them in my size, but they did for 2 or 3 other sizes that are common to deep cycles.
Did they pull them?
I haven't seen them in years at my Costco. Not sure if it's like that at other Costcos
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
mer1ion wrote: I haven't seen them in years at my Costco. Not sure if it's like that at other Costcos
Vancouver had them I think last year because that's when I bought mine.
I'll take a look again to see what they have. I know they did pull some things but I could swear I read they were going to put them (or something similar) back.
Or maybe I could get @Thatdealguy to snap a photo of the entire battery rack. Face With Tears Of JoyWinking Face
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2968 upvotes
keenland
+1 for the JNC 660...I have used all different types over the years and this seems to be the best for me ..I keep one in every one of my fleet trucks as they hold the charge better than most other pretenders
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5724 posts
3333 upvotes
Toronto
I have the JNC318, boosted a v6 with the battery disconnected just for fun.

Left it in my winter car since last winter and just checked it a month ago, there was still 95% charge before I recharged it.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Jan 20, 2012
826 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
GOOLOO 1000A from Amazon, Got it boosted a few cars for myself and neighbor already. Always boost up by first try on both i4 and V6. Got the 12V socket adapter for air compressor as well.

Got a Noco G3500 tender last week. Been connecting to my car till now to keep battery alive. I am satisfy so far knowing it's limitation.