Credit Cards

Best Keeper Card for Extended Warranty?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2019 10:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13859 upvotes
Going to the Moon

Best Keeper Card for Extended Warranty?

I'm thinking it might be better to keep a cashback card (no-AF, preferably) for extended warranty purchases. These are generally appliances, electronics & furniture, so they'll mostly fall in "everything else" spend, so category-specific accelerators won't help for the most part.

Been paying for these big ticket items primarily with churn cards for WB's and smaller items in loyalty pts such as PCO pts (I'm assuming I won't keep the extended warranty after I downgrade or cancel the card).

Would like a keeper Canadian card for extended warranties. Looks like American cards will only give me extended warranty, which is not too useful to me.

Would like more than 1% CB. Thinking AmEx SimplyCash or Rogers MC WE, but hesitant about Rogers since they won't do extended warranty on phones.

Any other suggestions?
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5202 posts
3536 upvotes
LaLaLand
I usually use my Amex for such purchases. I've had an Amex card for 30 years and I will always likely have an Amex. Everyone should have cards that they intend to keep indefinitely unless the bank does something stupid like change terms (ie. Rogers). My next in line if they don't take Amex will be my PC WE MC or my Desjardins WE MC.

That being said, in 30 years, I've never had to use the extended warranty on the card. Many things that have failed have been immediately after purchase and have been exchanged by the retailer. I was just thinking about this the other day. I think the extended warranty is over-rated. Sounds like a good idea, but I imagine they do not get that many claims. I think maybe the 90-day damage/loss protections is slightly better. I've never used this either.

I like my Desjardins WE MC because it give me 60 days of emergency travel medical. This to me is worth it for the fee.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
13813 posts
17936 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote: That being said, in 30 years, I've never had to use the extended warranty on the card. Many things that have failed have been immediately after purchase and have been exchanged by the retailer.
This. I too have never used my credit card's warranty extension coverage. Credit cards give you at most one additional year after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Things that have failed for me either failed within the manufacturer's own warranty period, or long after both that warranty and the credit card warranty have expired.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2017
789 posts
945 upvotes
RBC Cash Back WE MC offers 3x warranty, up to 2 additional years. This is in line with Visa Infinite Privilege line of cards. 1.5% CB, up to 25k. If you bank with RBC, it can be a free primary or secondary card if you have a VIP plan.
💳 Collected: RBC VIP for Private Banking, TD VIP, BMO VIP, HSBC Premier WE MC, Amex PP, Amex BP, Amex BG, Amex Cobalt, BMO WE MC, CDC Indigo
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13859 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Delight wrote: RBC Cash Back WE MC offers 3x warranty, up to 2 additional years. This is in line with Visa Infinite Privilege line of cards. 1.5% CB, up to 25k. If you bank with RBC, it can be a free primary or secondary card if you have a VIP plan.
Could be a keeper, but I won't take the full package at any FI. AF kills the deal.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5202 posts
3536 upvotes
LaLaLand
titaniumtux wrote: Could be a keeper, but I won't take the full package at any FI. AF kills the deal.
+1

If you have a mortgage with a bank, you shouldn't be paying for day to day banking since you're probably already giving them $10K+/year in mortgage interest.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2017
1097 posts
630 upvotes
Capital One cards should cover you. I read in an older thread on this forum that discussed someone claiming extended warranty from one of capital one cards and it was an easy process. You can probably dig that up for anecdotes.

Simply cash is what I use myself. Never had to claim anything on it however.
Member
Dec 11, 2007
392 posts
285 upvotes
Markham
I thought I’d mention my experience here. I purchased a charging cable on my Tangerine MasterCard and it failed in about 18months. I submitted an insurance claim to Assurant who is the extended warranty insurance provider for Tangerine’s MasterCard. I was asked to send them the following:

❑ Original vendor’s sales receipt showing the cost, date and description of purchase.
❑ The account statement showing the charge
❑ Copy of the original manufacturer’s warranty
❑ Written repair estimate

I was able to send them the first three but not the fourth figuring that I wouldn’t be able to get a repair estimate on a phone charging cable. They responded back by saying that since I didn’t send in a repair estimate, I would have to send the item to them for them to assess if the item does in fact not work, in which case they would then send me a cheque.

The biggest inconvenience of the entire process is having to provide a repair estimate.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1267 posts
1185 upvotes
narmak wrote: I thought I’d mention my experience here. I purchased a charging cable on my Tangerine MasterCard and it failed in about 18months. I submitted an insurance claim to Assurant who is the extended warranty insurance provider for Tangerine’s MasterCard. I was asked to send them the following:

❑ Original vendor’s sales receipt showing the cost, date and description of purchase.
❑ The account statement showing the charge
❑ Copy of the original manufacturer’s warranty
❑ Written repair estimate

I was able to send them the first three but not the fourth figuring that I wouldn’t be able to get a repair estimate on a phone charging cable. They responded back by saying that since I didn’t send in a repair estimate, I would have to send the item to them for them to assess if the item does in fact not work, in which case they would then send me a cheque.

The biggest inconvenience of the entire process is having to provide a repair estimate.
Thanks for sharing and to remind myself never to buy anything that may need extended warranty with my Tangerine MC. The need to provide an estimated repair cost is a waste of time and a means of denying your claim.

Here is my estimate:. 0.5 hr x min wage x 1.25 mark-up + $2.50 in shop fees = amount greater than the charging cable. Quote by RFD Repairman.
Member
Dec 11, 2007
392 posts
285 upvotes
Markham
sparkaction wrote: Thanks for sharing and to remind myself never to buy anything that may need extended warranty with my Tangerine MC. The need to provide an estimated repair cost is a waste of time and a means of denying your claim.

Here is my estimate:. 0.5 hr x min wage x 1.25 mark-up + $2.50 in shop fees = amount greater than the charging cable. Quote by RFD Repairman.
I would think other MasterCards may have similar hassles when it comes to this.
Jr. Member
Sep 30, 2013
140 posts
142 upvotes
I did a claim on Scotiabank momentum cash back for a dishwasher. It had the same repair estimate. I called them and said the repair company charges 150$ just to show up. They said as long as the repair doesn't cost more then it originally cost it's very unlikely to be denied. I got the estimate, they approved the repair and sent me a cheque. Cheque took some time but it came none the less.

Fun fact, I had downgraded my card to the no fee that doesn't carry extended warranty but they still honored everything.
Newbie
Aug 9, 2011
67 posts
23 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sparkaction wrote: Thanks for sharing and to remind myself never to buy anything that may need extended warranty with my Tangerine MC. The need to provide an estimated repair cost is a waste of time and a means of denying your claim.

Here is my estimate:. 0.5 hr x min wage x 1.25 mark-up + $2.50 in shop fees = amount greater than the charging cable. Quote by RFD Repairman.
With my RBC Visa US$ card (for purchase in the US), after confirming with them, they covered the cost of getting an estimate too (items were not repairable...computer SSD drives). Always check beforehand to be sure though.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5202 posts
3536 upvotes
LaLaLand
US American Express cards have 120 days of purchase protection and two addition years of extended warranty - except for New York, Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico and Northern Mariana Islands residents.
Updated, 7.15.19,

*For residents of Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico, and Northern Mariana Islands, Your coverage will match the original warranty period for warranties of less than one (1) year or provide one (1) additional year if the warranty is between one (1) and five (5) years.
Last edited by batcave on Jul 14th, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Sep 2, 2013
321 posts
349 upvotes
Ontario
In 20 years with Amex I had never used the extended warranty protection until last week. My experience is exactly why Amex remains my primary card for personal and business use.

I have a pair of PowerBeats wireless headphones that I bought 18 months ago. Last week I started having issues here they would die once the battery got below 75%. They weren't covered by Apple's warranty so I called Amex. Here was the timeline:
Friday: Call Amex - transferred to Warranty line. They opened my claim and told me I'd be contacted for more details within 24 hours.
Friday (same day) - received email asking for original bill, copy of manufacturer's warranty and copy of Amex statement showing the full purchase price. I send the documents to them the same day.
Yesterday (Thursday)- received email that they are emailing me a check for the full purchase price ($210 with tax) - even though I can have them repaired at Apple for less.

Amazing service - now I can choose to have them repaired (and save some money) or buy new ones with and have them under warranty again for 2 years (1 Year with Apple, 1 with Amex).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6650 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: US American Express cards have 120 days of purchase protection and two addition years of extended warranty - except for New York, Indiana, Guam, Puerto Rico and Northern Mariana Islands residents.
Does all US AMEX have the same coverage? Or only the plat ones? I’m assuming Canadian residents are fine?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6650 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
marty3d wrote: In 20 years with Amex I had never used the extended warranty protection until last week. My experience is exactly why Amex remains my primary card for personal and business use.

I have a pair of PowerBeats wireless headphones that I bought 18 months ago. Last week I started having issues here they would die once the battery got below 75%. They weren't covered by Apple's warranty so I called Amex. Here was the timeline:
Friday: Call Amex - transferred to Warranty line. They opened my claim and told me I'd be contacted for more details within 24 hours.
Friday (same day) - received email asking for original bill, copy of manufacturer's warranty and copy of Amex statement showing the full purchase price. I send the documents to them the same day.
Yesterday (Thursday)- received email that they are emailing me a check for the full purchase price ($210 with tax) - even though I can have them repaired at Apple for less.

Amazing service - now I can choose to have them repaired (and save some money) or buy new ones with and have them under warranty again for 2 years (1 Year with Apple, 1 with Amex).
Did you keep the same card for 20 years? Is the coverage for two additional years on top of manufacture warranty?
Member
Sep 2, 2013
321 posts
349 upvotes
Ontario
greg123 wrote: Did you keep the same card for 20 years? Is the coverage for two additional years on top of manufacture warranty?
No - I've had multiple Amex cards over the years (have 3 right now).

The cards I have double the manufacturer's warranty to a maximum of one additional year. So if original warrants is 90 days, you get days 91-180. If it's a 2 year warranty, you are only covered for the third year.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5202 posts
3536 upvotes
LaLaLand
greg123 wrote: Does all US AMEX have the same coverage? Or only the plat ones? I’m assuming Canadian residents are fine?
Yes all US cards have the same coverage. I have never needed the the extended warranty but I'm sure it is fine.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)