• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2021 4:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10142 posts
1611 upvotes

Best Korean Food - North York

We are looking for the best Korean Fried Chicken or just Amazing Korean BBQ food we can do take out with to celebrate an upcoming anniversary.

Not really interested in soup stuff, rice cakes etc.

Any suggestions on places you highly recommend?

I know I live in Korea town but there are so many to choose from...
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6490 posts
2497 upvotes
I used to eat KFC weekly & tried them all, in North York:

bb.q Chicken
Mymy Chicken (if you like heat, do NOT go here, their hottest still has no heat)
Dakgogi

If you are not big into drinking but do want some alcoholic drinks, get flavoured soju like green grape flavour for example. Non-alcoholics enjoy these drinks, there's alcohol but it doesn't taste strong. LCBO has them.

Korean BBQ isn't really worth it for takeout IMO, since they'll sell the meat raw & most of the meats are not marinated so you'd save by buying some quality cuts from a butcher yourself. I go for Korean BBQ dine-in for the overall experience, not because I can't replicate the BBQ meats
Apr 3, 2009
17 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
For fried chicken, aside from the ones already listed, there's:
-The Fry
-Chicken in the Kitchen
-Home of Hot Taste
-Cheers Chicken & Beers
My top picks would be The Fry / bb.q / Dakgogi

For KBBQ there's:
-Daldongnae
-Gui Gui
-Piggy's
-Cheongdam
-Sariwon
-Pujukan
Used to go to Daldongnae all the time, table was always full of food even if you order the minimum, plus, they have unlimited corn cheese and egg!
Tried the takeout set from Piggy's. The meat was charcoal grilled, was good, but nothing beats dine-in experience.
Cheongdam recently opened, heard they have good takeout sets.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10142 posts
1611 upvotes
HP_John wrote: I used to eat KFC weekly & tried them all, in North York:

bb.q Chicken
Mymy Chicken (if you like heat, do NOT go here, their hottest still has no heat)
Dakgogi

If you are not big into drinking but do want some alcoholic drinks, get flavoured soju like green grape flavour for example. Non-alcoholics enjoy these drinks, there's alcohol but it doesn't taste strong. LCBO has them.

Korean BBQ isn't really worth it for takeout IMO, since they'll sell the meat raw & most of the meats are not marinated so you'd save by buying some quality cuts from a butcher yourself. I go for Korean BBQ dine-in for the overall experience, not because I can't replicate the BBQ meats
Thanks, what about places with marinated grilled pork belly or other items?

We can't decide between KFC and Korean grilled/bbq meal but it sounds like KFC is still best for takeout in terms of freshness relative to dine-in
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14239 posts
9016 upvotes
Markham
You can get pretty much any and all meats for grilling at Galleria Yonge/Steeles.
Pickup a bunch of banchan side dishes while you're there.
Galleria also has Mom's fried chicken but it was just OK when I tried it once....fried chicken absolutely needs to be fresh and burning hot out of a fryer to me.

Alternative to Galleria for meats... try the Owl Butcher shop Yonge/Church.

Since it's an anniversary, maybe try something different like marinated crab from JungSooNae. Only if you like crab and don't mind the work.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6490 posts
2497 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Since it's an anniversary, maybe try something different like marinated crab from JungSooNae. Only if you like crab and don't mind the work.
Just my opinion, but non-Koreans may or may not like marinated crab. The texture is off-putting & weird to some. Fried chicken & BBQ are "safer" bets
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14239 posts
9016 upvotes
Markham
HP_John wrote: Just my opinion, but non-Koreans may or may not like marinated crab. The texture is off-putting & weird to some. Fried chicken & BBQ are "safer" bets
Agreed about texture. If you like crab and you like raw fish/sushi, you might really like marinated crab. But you won't know unless you try it. Worst case...if you don't like it, perhaps cook it by putting into soup or something. Make some Bun Rieu aka Viet Crab noodle soup.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8723 posts
2637 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried marinated crab in Seoul... It's an acquired taste... never seen it here in GTA.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10142 posts
1611 upvotes
I would prefer to not cook the food myself sadly.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11975 posts
1761 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: I would prefer to not cook the food myself sadly.
Check out piggys. They sell the sets with cooked proteins. It's very good and exactly what you are looking for I think.

Personally I'd buy the set plus a whole fried chicken of half and half. After all the newer ones I still prefer the Fry but they are all good.

Another Korean option is chinese Korean. Get some jajangmyung, tangsuyuk, jjampong. That's a date!
Images
  • Screenshot_20210507-232806.png
  • Screenshot_20210507-232652.png
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10142 posts
1611 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: Check out piggys. They sell the sets with cooked proteins. It's very good and exactly what you are looking for I think.

Personally I'd buy the set plus a whole fried chicken of half and half. After all the newer ones I still prefer the Fry but they are all good.

Another Korean option is chinese Korean. Get some jajangmyung, tangsuyuk, jjampong. That's a date!
Amazing suggestions. I had Piggys once dine-in. I will check out the rest.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1249 posts
616 upvotes
Any idea where I can buy Jinro Grapefruit Soju? LCBO doesn't seem to carry this flavor.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9111 posts
2075 upvotes
Vancouver
n0thing wrote: Any idea where I can buy Jinro Grapefruit Soju? LCBO doesn't seem to carry this flavor.
Unless someone is making legally locally lcbo would be your only choice. You could ask LCBO to quote you on importing it. They would have a minimum but they do this sort of thing.

Might be some other import agent that could also do it but I would speak with lcbo if you know the brand.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14239 posts
9016 upvotes
Markham
n0thing wrote: Any idea where I can buy Jinro Grapefruit Soju? LCBO doesn't seem to carry this flavor.
Reddit thread asking about Grapefruit Soju. I think the Markham and the Bayview Village LCBO somewhat caters to Asian ppl so maybe talk to the manager of that location. The thread mentions Piggy's restaurant so may go have a meal and ask the owner/manager where they get it from if they still have it on their menu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askTO/comments ... o/dijehpn/

Edit: Just found it.

https://craftcellars.ca/product/jinro-c ... ju-13-abv/

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1249 posts
616 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Reddit thread asking about Grapefruit Soju. I think the Markham and the Bayview Village LCBO somewhat caters to Asian ppl so maybe talk to the manager of that location. The thread mentions Piggy's restaurant so may go have a meal and ask the owner/manager where they get it from if they still have it on their menu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askTO/comments ... o/dijehpn/

Edit: Just found it.

https://craftcellars.ca/product/jinro-c ... ju-13-abv/
I read about Piggy and was about to order, but apparently their place caught fire recently.

I checked craftcellars too, but shipping kills the deal.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14239 posts
9016 upvotes
Markham
n0thing wrote: I read about Piggy and was about to order, but apparently their place caught fire recently.

I checked craftcellars too, but shipping kills the deal.
Perhaps tell us how much shipping is? If you order enough it's still probably cheaper than paying for and drinking at the restaurant. FYI there may also be laws/rules re. out of province importing of liquor.

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1249 posts
616 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Perhaps tell us how much shipping is? If you order enough it's still probably cheaper than paying for and drinking at the restaurant. FYI there may also be laws/rules re. out of province importing of liquor.
They allow max order of 6 bottles, and with shipping it'll be double the cost, essentially similar to buying here at the restaurant.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14239 posts
9016 upvotes
Markham
n0thing wrote: They allow max order of 6 bottles, and with shipping it'll be double the cost, essentially similar to buying here at the restaurant.
Michyeosseo

Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6490 posts
2497 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Perhaps tell us how much shipping is? If you order enough it's still probably cheaper than paying for and drinking at the restaurant. FYI there may also be laws/rules re. out of province importing of liquor.
128 total including shipping & tax, about $21/bottle, thats restaurant pricing!