• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2020 12:18 am
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
10 posts
2 upvotes

Best laptop Boxing Day sale? Under $600

Hello,

Recently got into a situation where I need a new laptop. Been waiting for Boxing Day to snag a good deal. Not gaming, just web browsing, videos, MS office, so was hoping for something around $500. If there's a decent laptop for less, that'd be ideal.

I do currently have an ASUS VivoBook with 4GB RAM but after 2 years of light use it has slowed to a crawl - so bad it's basically unusable... So I was hoping to get a laptop that's a bit better this time. I needed one ASAP at the time and bought it full price at Costco. Was hoping to buy a laptop with better specs but at similar price with Boxing Day coming.

I'm not really up to date with laptops, but the only suitable deal that I see so far is the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Almond (Intel Core i3-1005G1/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Windows 10 S) for $549 on the Best Buy boxing week sale flyer. Is this a good deal? I don't really need touchscreen and it seems like a bit better than I really need so wouldn't mind getting less of a laptop for a better price. And not sure if the Lenovo is a real steal either...

Has anyone come across anything?
8 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4729 posts
1695 upvotes
Have you tried looking at the Boxing Day flyers for:

Bestbuy
Walmart
Visions
Costco

Start there. If you see it ... great. If you don't ... too bad.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8272 posts
670 upvotes
Scarborough
user789 wrote: I do currently have an ASUS VivoBook with 4GB RAM but after 2 years of light use it has slowed to a crawl - so bad it's basically unusable...
Try to install more RAM (if you can) and a fresh reinstall Windows. 2 years of light use shouldn't be that bad.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1711 posts
2014 upvotes
Menace wrote: Try to install more RAM (if you can) and a fresh reinstall Windows. 2 years of light use shouldn't be that bad.
OP, are you running an SSD? What do you have for storage today?
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
10 posts
2 upvotes
Asus X541S Specifications
CPU Intel Celeron (Braswell) N3060 @ 2.4GHz

Memory 4GB DDR3

Storage 500GB HDD (5400RPM)

I'm going to be giving this laptop to a family member who's more tech savvy than I am and is in real need of a laptop... Don't mind giving it to her and buying a new one.

Is the Lenovo laptop from best buy a good deal?
Dec 6, 2020
378 posts
354 upvotes
user789 wrote: Is the Lenovo laptop from best buy a good deal?
I can't say if it's the best bang for your buck available right now, but I can tell you it's almost six times faster than your current laptop.

I wouldn't go even one cent cheaper than this, frankly. Even if you don't need higher tech specs, bottom-of-the-barrel laptops are poorly built and won't last long before they physically fall apart.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
10 posts
2 upvotes
Would like to get the best bang for my buck. But I've been looking around and I can't find anything better in the ~$500 range than the Lenovo laptop from Best Buy. I think I'll just end up getting it.
Dec 22, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes
I got a HP laptop from Costco a few weeks ago for $499 plus tax. I got it for the exact same reasons you want a new laptop for, very basic tasks and the odd video calls. HP doesnt have the best reputation but i was having a hard time finding a laptop for around $500-$600 so i figured id give it a shot and buying from Costco gave me piece of mind because you have 90 days to return it and also comes with a two year warranty from HP as opposed to the 1 year if bought elsewhere.

The laptop itself has a AMD Athlon Gold dual core processor with 8 gigs of ram and a 256 SSD. to be honest with you, this is performing better than expected as it boots up in 10 seconds or less and having multiple applications open (Chrome,Spotify,FB messenger and so on ) at once the laptop is not struggling. I did download a few applications but not too much and i also deleted a few bloatware applications that came with the laptop but so far so good with this laptop.

In typical Costco fashion, two weeks later when i went into the warehouse to get things, i looked for the laptop i bought and it was not there anymore. I always say to people. if you see something at Costco and like it then buy it because it may not be there the next week as they constantly move things around and replace things quickly.

Anyway i hope this helps and if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask!
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
10 posts
2 upvotes
Abez316 wrote: I got a HP laptop from Costco a few weeks ago for $499 plus tax. I got it for the exact same reasons you want a new laptop for, very basic tasks and the odd video calls. HP doesnt have the best reputation but i was having a hard time finding a laptop for around $500-$600 so i figured id give it a shot and buying from Costco gave me piece of mind because you have 90 days to return it and also comes with a two year warranty from HP as opposed to the 1 year if bought elsewhere.

The laptop itself has a AMD Athlon Gold dual core processor with 8 gigs of ram and a 256 SSD. to be honest with you, this is performing better than expected as it boots up in 10 seconds or less and having multiple applications open (Chrome,Spotify,FB messenger and so on ) at once the laptop is not struggling. I did download a few applications but not too much and i also deleted a few bloatware applications that came with the laptop but so far so good with this laptop.

In typical Costco fashion, two weeks later when i went into the warehouse to get things, i looked for the laptop i bought and it was not there anymore. I always say to people. if you see something at Costco and like it then buy it because it may not be there the next week as they constantly move things around and replace things quickly.

Anyway i hope this helps and if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask!
Thanks, was the most helpful info I've received so far. You're so right about Costco - we always get anything that looks worthwhile when we see it for that very reason. I actually did look when I was there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see anything in that price range. Guess you got lucky. Sounds like your laptop has similar specs to the one I'm looking at from Best Buy. Not sure which one is better, but it's got the same RAM and has SSD, but yours is $50 cheaper, plus the peace of mind of buying from Costco, like you said... Would have got it if it was available...