Students

Best Laptop Value for around $1500 ???

[OP]
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Best Laptop Value for around $1500 ???

any suggestions here? that's my rough budget...

does it make more sense to go brand-name or not?

thanks,

z_squared
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
1899 posts
1 upvote
Staples has a nice Compaq Presario for just 1299.

14" glossy screen
512mb ddr333 (gfx is shared but you're left with at least 384+ ram, depending on how much you wanan change your gfx chipset to)
turion processor
nice design, small and light (5.41 lbs)
80 gb harddrive

don't forget your service plan for 169.99/299.99 ;) .

edit: we also have an acer with a larger screen but no burner, turion once again at $999.99.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1049 posts
11 upvotes
i'd go for a tablet pc....i was using one for the past term and i loved it. could take notes on it...and when class got boring...surf the web or play some games...

now that i've experienced a tablet i dont think i could go back to a normal laptop it also just happens that i'm selling my toshiba 3500 tablet in the bst (shameless plug :cheesygri )

although....if you are looking for a desktop replacement a tablet would not fit your bill, the high powered ones are still too expensive.

if this is the case i'd go for a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]dell[/rfdlink] (great customer service from wut i've experience but kind of on the expensive side)

ibm for excellent quality tablets....but also very expensive

not much experience with the other brands tho....but i'd stick with a brand name....often good customer service and warranty comes in very handy
[OP]
Mar 12, 2005
987 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
thanks!

keep the helpful input coming!
Mar 16, 2005
32 posts
I'd go for a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] 6000 model

Dells are among top value for notebooks and are very reliable. I also think the looks of their notebooks are better than most.

Right now if you buy from their site, you get a free upgrade from 512 to 1 gig ram when you buy the 6000.

1.6Ghz, 1 gig ram, DVD burner, 15.4 inch screen @ I think around 6 pounds. $1399.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/product ... l=en&s=dhs
/ / a g i l i t i z e d . c o m
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
1899 posts
1 upvote
bob0 wrote:i'd go for a tablet pc....i was using one for the past term and i loved it. could take notes on it...and when class got boring...surf the web or play some games...

now that i've experienced a tablet i dont think i could go back to a normal laptop it also just happens that i'm selling my toshiba 3500 tablet in the bst (shameless plug :cheesygri )

although....if you are looking for a desktop replacement a tablet would not fit your bill, the high powered ones are still too expensive.

if this is the case i'd go for a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]dell[/rfdlink] (great customer service from wut i've experience but kind of on the expensive side)

ibm for excellent quality tablets....but also very expensive

not much experience with the other brands tho....but i'd stick with a brand name....often good customer service and warranty comes in very handy
Lol, he did say 1500 budget ;) .
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2622 posts
1631 upvotes
GVRD
Forget HP/Compaq or even Toshiba, these budget priced laptop are made poorly these days. I used to like Toshiba but not.. they are just not as before.

The cheapest way to get a laptop is to get [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink]. [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] USA has some good deals on the Latitude series, these are durable laptop for the money. Accessories are standard, so it will work for any Latitude. Ship it to USA and pick them up, pay the taxes at the border and you will still have some money in your pocket.

Philip
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1049 posts
11 upvotes
Nhiem wrote:Lol, he did say 1500 budget ;) .

haha....yea...got too carried away there. but dells seem to fit the budget well. dude u got a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]dell[/rfdlink]!

love the looks of macs...it's too bad the world is windows dominated....mac does make a much better os and much better looking computers.