Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5960 posts
2390 upvotes
Canuckland

[BEST LIVING] Kiwi 8” knive/cleaver $8.88

Deal Link:
Price:
Listed in amazon $15/$22 both 8” models available saw 10 of them left when I went yesterday

Great quality knife/cleaver at an affordable price, made in Thailand

https://www.amazon.ca/Kiwi-Ponit-21-Che ... 001FEJ0WO/

https://www.amazon.ca/Kiwi-Brand-Cook-K ... 00ARUFSM8/
25 replies
Jun 10, 2011
589 posts
512 upvotes
amazing knife for the price, I have them for more than a year now and they are still very sharp.
I was able to shave my arm with it, best knife in that price range!
Jan 19, 2006
467 posts
270 upvotes
BC
KomKom is made by the same outfit as Kiwi, but to a slightly higher fit & finish.

Great knives!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2791 posts
2077 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sobig wrote: amazing knife for the price, I have them for more than a year now and they are still very sharp.
I was able to shave my arm with it, best knife in that price range!
Any knife will stay sharp for a year if you don't use it. Any knife will need sharpening after a number of uses, and the softer/cheaper the steel the lower that number is. If you use a knife regularly for a year and still think it's sharp, it's just that you've forgotten how sharp it used to be (or it never was properly sharp to begin with). As Scotty famously said: "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics, Jim!"
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal
OakAged wrote: Any knife will stay sharp for a year if you don't use it. Any knife will need sharpening after a number of uses, and the softer/cheaper the steel the lower that number is. If you use a knife regularly for a year and still think it's sharp, it's just that you've forgotten how sharp it used to be (or it never was properly sharp to begin with). As Scotty famously said: "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics, Jim!"
Do you have forum notification set up for anything with the word "knife" in it? Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 10, 2011
589 posts
512 upvotes
OakAged wrote: Any knife will stay sharp for a year if you don't use it. Any knife will need sharpening after a number of uses, and the softer/cheaper the steel the lower that number is. If you use a knife regularly for a year and still think it's sharp, it's just that you've forgotten how sharp it used to be (or it never was properly sharp to begin with). As Scotty famously said: "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics, Jim!"
You should get a another hobby, you seem to have too much free time on your hand to waste.
unless you have something constructive to tell me don't reply.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal
sobig wrote: You should get a another hobby, you seem to have too much free time on your hand to waste.
He's got a point, even my ZDP189 chef's knife won't last a year under regular use.
Oct 15, 2020
41 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond HIll
Bought a Twinfin II (HRC60) from KitchenStuffPlus about 18 months ago, and I've only had to sharpen it once. That being said, I generally hone my kitchen knives with a steel each time before I use them, which keeps them sharper for a much longer time. I can say the same thing for some of my parents' older, softer knives too. Frequent preventative maintenance extends the sharpness for a much longer time without sharpening, I think.
I'm sure we'll meet again, in some nostalgic place...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2791 posts
2077 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sobig wrote: You should get a another hobby, you seem to have too much free time on your hand to waste.
I think it's constructive to tell you to stop talking nonsense and misleading people. So, stop claiming it's possible to use a kitchen knife for a year without it needing sharpening. Using a dull knife is dangerous, unpleasant, and a waste of time. There's really no reason to do so. And if anyone believes you and buys a particular knife because you said it will go a year without sharpening it, they'll be disappointed when they find out it's not true. Time and money wasted. And what did you gain by misleading them?
Jun 10, 2011
589 posts
512 upvotes
OakAged wrote: I think it's constructive to tell you to stop talking nonsense and misleading people. So, stop claiming it's possible to use a kitchen knife for a year without it needing sharpening. Using a dull knife is dangerous, unpleasant, and a waste of time. There's really no reason to do so. And if anyone believes you and buys a particular knife because you said it will go a year without sharpening it, they'll be disappointed when they find out it's not true. Time and money wasted. And what did you gain by misleading them?
FFS, I never said I didn't sharpened my knife... but some knife even sharpened never get as sharp as those kiwi knife.
You guys really need to find a better hobby than bullying people online.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2791 posts
2077 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blademagic wrote: Bought a Twinfin II (HRC60) from KitchenStuffPlus about 18 months ago, and I've only had to sharpen it once. That being said, I generally hone my kitchen knives with a steel each time before I use them, which keeps them sharper for a much longer time. I can say the same thing for some of my parents' older, softer knives too. Frequent preventative maintenance extends the sharpness for a much longer time without sharpening, I think.
Me too: I hone mine every time, unless I'm lazy and it's just a few quick light cuts. And I use a textured hone - the surface is sort of like a file - on my knives under HRC 60 and ceramic on 60+, which actually sharpen a bit as they hone. So in effect I sharpen almost every time I use them. And with that, I can go quite a while before I feel the need to sharpen them on the whet stone again. A smooth hone on <60 helps extend time between sharpenings to some extent too, but not as much.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2791 posts
2077 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sobig wrote: FFS, I never said I didn't sharpened my knife... but some knife even sharpened never get as sharp as those kiwi knife.
You guys really need to find a better hobby than bullying people online.
I reread your original comment and OK, I can see that you might not have meant what I thought you meant. So I apologize if I misunderstood. But I hope you can see that saying "I have them for more than a year now and they are still very sharp" does imply that you haven't sharpened them, because if you do sharpen them then saying "still sharp" doesn't make sense -- of course they're sharp after you sharpen them.

And I don't bully, and this has nothing to do with a hobby. I responded to what I perceived as misinformation, and then to a rude reply when I challenged that misinformation.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Kiwi knife. There are indeed knives that don't take as good an edge when you sharpen them.