• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2021 9:08 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2014
58 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON

Best Made in Canada furniture manufacturers

I am tired of buying poor quality chairs and furniture made in China. Specifically I am tired of my fake leather furniture peeling after 1 year, and I am tired of my wood furniture varnish peeling after 1 year also. What are the best made in Canada furniture manufacturers that make affordable furniture and chairs? Some examples I found were Bestar (Quebec) and South Shore (Quebec). Who makes desks, chairs, and other office, bedroom and living room furniture with a good website to view inventory and prices. Ideally solid wood furniture, but must be affordable prices. I cannot afford 5 grand for an office desk.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2148 posts
1384 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Well, you are in luck seeing you are in Windsor and if you do not mind a little drive. Do a google search for Mennonite or Amish furniture in Southern Ontario. You will get many hits and virtual show rooms to help you out.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1354 posts
1128 upvotes
Ottawa
We bought our solid birch bed, manufactured by Triomphe Bed and Futon in Sherbrooke, from Memory Foam Comfort.

We have the Tatami in a dark stain. It cost us ~$1100 delivered, and the pictures don't do it justice.

A few other companies carry their furniture as well, including Matelas Dauphin.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1354 posts
1128 upvotes
Ottawa
smartie wrote: Any store in GTA?
I can't find it on their website, but when we were looking we also contacted Dormio. Their website didn't mention Triomphe, but it was clear from the pictures that they sourced the beds from them.

I don't think anyone really has any models to view in store, though we did see one model on display at Matelas Dauphin in Gatineau. We bought strictly based on pictures. No regrets. While their factory is in BC, Memory Foam Comfort acts as a distributor and can order Canada-wide. The owner is actually based in Gatineau. He ordered directly from Triomphe. The bed was made to order and shipped from the factory in Sherbrooke, and delivered to just inside the threshold. Order to delivery took ~4 weeks.

Keep in mind that many of their frames are actually pine. We chose one that's birch, valuing the hardwood. They have a dozen+ different stains to choose from.

They're also all slatted bases, which allows proper airflow under the mattress. We also ordered an additional set of slats to reduce the gaps between slats for like $60, which was required for the warranty specifications of our mattress.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9231 posts
4511 upvotes
Markham
Dynatos wrote: I can't find it on their website, but when we were looking we also contacted Dormio. Their website didn't mention Triomphe, but it was clear from the pictures that they sourced the beds from them.

I don't think anyone really has any models to view in store, though we did see one model on display at Matelas Dauphin in Gatineau. We bought strictly based on pictures. No regrets. While their factory is in BC, Memory Foam Comfort acts as a distributor and can order Canada-wide. The owner is actually based in Gatineau. He ordered directly from Triomphe. The bed was made to order and shipped from the factory in Sherbrooke, and delivered to just inside the threshold. Order to delivery took ~4 weeks.

Keep in mind that many of their frames are actually pine. We chose one that's birch, valuing the hardwood. They have a dozen+ different stains to choose from.

They're also all slatted bases, which allows proper airflow under the mattress. We also ordered an additional set of slats to reduce the gaps between slats for like $60, which was required for the warranty specifications of our mattress.
Thanks!
Apr 20, 2020
122 posts
71 upvotes
EQ3 makes a lot of stuff in Canada.
There is a brand Called Mim, I think they are made in Canada (may need to confirm)
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1514 posts
690 upvotes
Go on FB and search for Ontario Woodworkers

Most of them will gladly build a custom made piece for you with whatever wood you want to use
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4794 posts
699 upvotes
Burlington
DeFehr Furniture from out in Winnipeg. You can use their site to find local dealers.
Dec 6, 2018
67 posts
28 upvotes
Check out West Bros Furniture - based in Hanover, ON.
I have some of their furniture - very well made and looks nice.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14785 posts
6030 upvotes
Ottawa
good topic. We are looking for a new bed.

We have some quality Made in Canada "Baronet" brand furniture pieces and nothing beats locally made, real wood furniture (Baronet is defunct though). Yes it costs a lot more than Ikea but you can see and feel the difference.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
18992 posts
6870 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Is it still worth the drive to Acton?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Jan 20, 2010
409 posts
130 upvotes
toronto
Why do you want to buy fake leather at the first place? No matter where it is made, it would peel off in 1-2 years of time. There are also good quality top grain leather furniture made in China, as long as you would like to pay for it. I found it is quite true you get what you paid for, especially for furniture. If you really are looking for furniture with quality, I would recommend Restoration Hardware.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1252 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Woodcraft Furniture in Markham, Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1633 posts
2389 upvotes
IMO the only thing left Canadian made and is still affordable is the great Canadian canoe.
Dec 6, 2018
67 posts
28 upvotes
abhishek63 wrote: How is the price range for West Bros Furniture
I wouldn't call it ridiculous, but it's not cheap either. No pricing on their website as I think typically, you have to buy from a dealer - so you'd have to find a local one near you. My stuff is made of Cherry wood and I believe a good portion of their stuff is made of that.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1485 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
Wouldn't recommend South Shore. Their products are MDF wood and are similar to IKEA quality.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14785 posts
6030 upvotes
Ottawa
jrakutt wrote: I wouldn't call it ridiculous, but it's not cheap either. No pricing on their website as I think typically, you have to buy from a dealer - so you'd have to find a local one near you. My stuff is made of Cherry wood and I believe a good portion of their stuff is made of that.
Good quality furniture does cost $$. I googled some models of the West Bros pieces and the prices were in-line with what I expected. For sample, $2500 for a queen bed frame with a headboard. Now if you are coming from Ikea and seeing $600 for a bed, that may seem astronomical.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.