• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 12:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 22, 2005
11424 posts
4039 upvotes

Best mask for the gym

I'm looking for a mask at the gym as Crunch is making them mandatory tomorrow.

Any thoughts on a good sports mask?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
5995 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
I asked the same question in the covid gym thread - no response.
Will likely need to start going in fall (to supplement physio), so was hoping to research this.
The Under Armour one is expensive, and has also gotten some bad reviews (related to sizing and quality/stitching).
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12225 posts
2824 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I asked the same question in the covid gym thread - no response.
Will likely need to start going in fall (to supplement physio), so was hoping to research this.
The Under Armour one is expensive, and has also gotten some bad reviews (related to sizing and quality/stitching).
Also not any more breathable than any other mask and the moisture wicking is pointless as it has multiple layers, so the sweat just accumulates anyways.

Sizing is a little on the larger size. Whatever you measure, just go 1 size down. I have 2 masks. One fits perfectly, but the other has a weird curve from the nose to chin. It rubs a lot against my lips, while the other mask doesn't touch it. Definitely some QA issues... but that should be expected when you rush from concept to production to distribution in a matter of a few months. Due to my rather abnormally large head, these are my daily masks as most mask are tight around my head. but I personally wouldn't use them for the gym.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 22, 2005
11424 posts
4039 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I asked the same question in the covid gym thread - no response.
Will likely need to start going in fall (to supplement physio), so was hoping to research this.
The Under Armour one is expensive, and has also gotten some bad reviews (related to sizing and quality/stitching).
$35 seems crazy and I'm not convinced its good.

I want maximum airflow - it's really not ideal to wear a mask period but it is what it is.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
5995 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: $35 seems crazy and I'm not convinced its good.

I want maximum airflow - it's really not ideal to wear a mask period but it is what it is.
I totally agree. Hence why I'm hoping there are better cheaper suggestions, so I can grab a few to cycle.

Likely, will go either Reebok or Adidas, which seem identical.
Availability end of Sept.
https://www.adidas.ca/en/face-covers-m- ... 08837.html
https://www.reebok.ca/en/face-covers-m- ... 18222.html

Also considering Uniqlo 3 pack, which will be available in stores in a couple of days (online mid sept)
https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... ode=SMA005
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 22, 2005
11424 posts
4039 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I totally agree. Hence why I'm hoping there are better cheaper suggestions, so I can grab a few to cycle.

Likely, will go either Reebok or Adidas, which seem identical.
Availability end of Sept.
https://www.adidas.ca/en/face-covers-m- ... 08837.html
https://www.reebok.ca/en/face-covers-m- ... 18222.html

Also considering Uniqlo 3 pack, which will be available in stores in a couple of days (online mid sept)
https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... ode=SMA005
Adidas look interesting.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6745 posts
1267 upvotes
Just bought the UA $35 mask. I have no issue with sizing or QA, but I don't think it's any more breathable than other masks. Doubt if I want to do cardio exercise in the gym with it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2005
2314 posts
815 upvotes
I also have the underarmor mask. Quality and sizing was fine for me but the "iso-chill" fabric that's advertised to feel cool to the touch for as long as you wear it, is not noticeable to me at all.

I would go with something else as well.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 22, 2005
11424 posts
4039 upvotes
golden wrote: Just bought the UA $35 mask. I have no issue with sizing or QA, but I don't think it's any more breathable than other masks. Doubt if I want to do cardio exercise in the gym with it.
Did you buy on-line or in-store?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
5995 posts
3803 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Did you buy on-line or in-store?
Unless I am mistaken, they do not have them in store.
On top of the rip off price, you also have to pay for shipping.
Adidas and Reebok - free shipping.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12225 posts
2824 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Unless I am mistaken, they do not have them in store.
On top of the rip off price, you also have to pay for shipping.
Adidas and Reebok - free shipping.
I think they do. I haven't confirmed myself, but my buddy saw me wearing mine and he was complaining about getting measured in store and still not getting the right size. Just call the store before going.

UA shipping is free at $75 (before tax). So you would need to buy 3 masks to get the free shipping. Otherwise shipping is $8.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6745 posts
1267 upvotes
I bought the UA mask in store at the Toronto premium outlet. While everyone in store was 50% off last week with labour day sale, the masks have zero discount.
So I paid $35+tax.
Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
3 posts
BAIE-D'URFÉ
Would you opt for adidas or Reebok? I get design is a personal preference but I want to know quality wise if one is better.
shikotee wrote: Unless I am mistaken, they do not have them in store.
On top of the rip off price, you also have to pay for shipping.
Adidas and Reebok - free shipping.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 4, 2009
2874 posts
742 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: I totally agree. Hence why I'm hoping there are better cheaper suggestions, so I can grab a few to cycle.

Likely, will go either Reebok or Adidas, which seem identical.
Availability end of Sept.
https://www.adidas.ca/en/face-covers-m- ... 08837.html
https://www.reebok.ca/en/face-covers-m- ... 18222.html

Also considering Uniqlo 3 pack, which will be available in stores in a couple of days (online mid sept)
https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E ... ode=SMA005
I use the Reebok version which is the same as the adidas one for the gym. Most comfortable masks for the gym imo. I tried using Uniqlo's Airism line and a plain black cotton masks and found it way too hard to breath in.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
4167 posts
2115 upvotes
congeetime wrote: I use the Reebok version which is the same as the adidas one for the gym. Most comfortable masks for the gym imo. I tried using Uniqlo's Airism line and a plain black cotton masks and found it way too hard to breath in.
Are you inserting a PM 2.5 filter into the pocket or you using without a filter for the gym? Asking because I expect it to be very hard to breathe with a filter in your Reebok mask when you are working out.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9891 posts
3824 upvotes
Mississauga
Seriously for breathability i would think you simply want an inexpensive single layer fabric mask like cotton or polyester. Keep it simple.

The more air that can actually pass through the fabric, the cooler it should be, relatively speaking because it means the warm air you're breathing out isn't circulating in the mask (on your face) as much trying to escape through the openings on the sides and above and below.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 4, 2009
2874 posts
742 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Are you inserting a PM 2.5 filter into the pocket or you using without a filter for the gym? Asking because I expect it to be very hard to breathe with a filter in your Reebok mask when you are working out.
I tried it once by putting a cut up surgical masks in the pocket but didn't like it. Now I use it without a filter. Obviously not the safest way but thank god my gym is pretty spread out and spacious so im never near anyone. But the mask is comfortable to leave on for weight training/short cardio.

Top