• Mar 9th, 2020 8:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 6, 2019
48 posts
21 upvotes

Best MC CC for Costco Spend

Hey everybody. Wondering what credit card everyone uses for their Costco spend? With the Rogers WE MC devaluing and introducing 15k minimum spend, I’m considering other options to maximize my rewards. Unfortunately we only have Mastercards to choose from.

It seems like some good options currently are:
- Rogers WE MC @ 1.75%, then 1.5% come June if min is met (no AF)
- RBC WJ WE MC @ 1.5% WJD (has AF)
- HSBC WE MC @ 2% (has AF)
- Collabria WE MC @ 2% (has AF)
- MNBA WE MC @ 2 points/$1 (has AF)

There are the Brim MC options (some with AF) and the CTWE (no AF) as well.
What is the best option for you for regular Costco spend and why?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6591 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
The big thing for me is whether the $15k minimum is a Rogers WE thing, or whether as speculated it is going to be forced on all WEs by Mastercard - and if so, whether or not it is actually going to be enforced (compared to the WE income requirements that everyone and their mother just lies about and the banks don't care).

IF all WEs are going to need a $15k minimum, I think Costco becomes irrelevant as you will basically be limited to picking one of them, and your Costco spend isn't going to be the key driver. If that happens, maybe an AF isn't going to be a big deal as if you pick (for example) the Collabria WE, you might be combining all your purchases that you currently use several WEs for, rather than just replacing your Rogers WE 1 for 1.

My current line of thinking is that I'm not going to bother with a MC for Costco until I see how everything shakes out. I just applied for the Scotia Momentum Visa, going to max out my "10% on $2,000 of anything" welcome bonus on a big Costco Cash card (you can use Visa online at Costco), and $2,000 worth of Costco visits later maybe we'll have a better idea of what's going on with all the MCs.
[OP]
Feb 6, 2019
48 posts
21 upvotes
Yeah my main daily card is a Gold Amex - certainly if a MC was your daily it might add up with Costco lumped in there but need to find a secondary card for there. Seems like there is no clear cut best card now and with possible other changes coming this year for MCs it’s hard to choose anything at this time
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
8001 posts
4883 upvotes
West GTEH!
Wpgleafs wrote: Hey everybody. Wondering what credit card everyone uses for their Costco spend? With the Rogers WE MC devaluing and introducing 15k minimum spend, I’m considering other options to maximize my rewards. Unfortunately we only have Mastercards to choose from.

Rogers WE MC if you meet the Annual min. $15K spend. Keep in mind this requirement doesn't take effect until June 2020
😎
Aug 17, 2006
467 posts
417 upvotes
Wpgleafs wrote: Hey everybody. Wondering what credit card everyone uses for their Costco spend? With the Rogers WE MC devaluing and introducing 15k minimum spend, I’m considering other options to maximize my rewards. Unfortunately we only have Mastercards to choose from.

HSBC card is only 1.5% for general spend which would include Costco. But out of the above it would seems you have to redeem for travel; if not cash redemptions leave only Rogers and Collabria so no fee 1.5% vs fee 2%. Rogers still not horrible if you can meet the $15k.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4091 posts
2107 upvotes
Niagara
I'm hanging onto Rogers WE. Even with the CB percentage dropping to 1.50 from 1.75 there's still nothing else with no-AF that gives the same CB.

Also, in that list of options, are they all CB? Or are a bunch travel points?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4384 upvotes
BC
Just cycle through the MCs that have welcome bonuses worth net >$200. Even if you only churn one per year you are already ahead of Rogers WE.
Feb 12, 2020
375 posts
576 upvotes
Off topic but perhaps you should consider using Visa for your Costco spend. I always meet my MSR on Visa through spending at Costco.

Don't give me the but Costco only takes mastercard talk please.
Dec 19, 2006
403 posts
159 upvotes
junggoo wrote: Off topic but perhaps you should consider using Visa for your Costco spend. I always meet my MSR on Visa through spending at Costco.

Don't give me the but Costco only takes mastercard talk please.
Can you explain? You're able to use Visa at Costco?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15789 posts
21520 upvotes
Vancouver
Manatus wrote: going to max out my "10% on $2,000 of anything" welcome bonus on a big Costco Cash card (you can use Visa online at Costco)
Just a warning. The one and only time I bought gift cards online from Costco, they were delivered by someone who just dropped the envelope on my doorstep for anyone to steal. Didn't bother pushing it through my mail slot like Canada Post does. I've never ordered GCs from Costco online since.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
RedRon wrote: Can you explain? You're able to use Visa at Costco?
Costco Cash cards (online) or Curve :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Feb 28, 2014
971 posts
1153 upvotes
RedRon wrote: Can you explain? You're able to use Visa at Costco?
Not in their warehouses in Canada but Costco takes Visa on their online store and American warehouses.
Feb 12, 2020
375 posts
576 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Just a warning. The one and only time I bought gift cards online from Costco, they were delivered by someone who just dropped the envelope on my doorstep for anyone to steal. Didn't bother pushing it through my mail slot like Canada Post does. I've never ordered GCs from Costco online since.
Oh wow, I'm glad that doesn't happen to me.
Feb 8, 2014
966 posts
511 upvotes
YVR
Kiraly wrote: Just a warning. The one and only time I bought gift cards online from Costco, they were delivered by someone who just dropped the envelope on my doorstep for anyone to steal. Didn't bother pushing it through my mail slot like Canada Post does. I've never ordered GCs from Costco online since.
Mine have always been delivered by CP. I stopped ordering them when you didn't have to activate them by phoning in. Any mis-delivery or theft in transit made the cards usable by anyone.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2019 posts
151 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
titaniumtux wrote: Costco Cash cards (online) or Curve :lol:
Only problem is - Curve isn't available in Canada (in my opinion)....:'(

I wonder if anyone who lives in Canada - manages to get around the restriction...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: Only problem is - Curve isn't available in Canada (in my opinion)....:'(

I wonder if anyone who lives in Canada - manages to get around the restriction...
not officially available in Canada :twisted:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
1177 posts
1858 upvotes
Manatus wrote: The big thing for me is whether the $15k minimum is a Rogers WE thing, or whether as speculated it is going to be forced on all WEs by Mastercard - and if so, whether or not it is actually going to be enforced (compared to the WE income requirements that everyone and their mother just lies about and the banks don't care).

IF all WEs are going to need a $15k minimum, I think Costco becomes irrelevant as you will basically be limited to picking one of them, and your Costco spend isn't going to be the key driver. If that happens, maybe an AF isn't going to be a big deal as if you pick (for example) the Collabria WE, you might be combining all your purchases that you currently use several WEs for, rather than just replacing your Rogers WE 1 for 1.

My current line of thinking is that I'm not going to bother with a MC for Costco until I see how everything shakes out. I just applied for the Scotia Momentum Visa, going to max out my "10% on $2,000 of anything" welcome bonus on a big Costco Cash card (you can use Visa online at Costco), and $2,000 worth of Costco visits later maybe we'll have a better idea of what's going on with all the MCs.
Yeah I looked at the wording in their release and the wording they used was "we reserve the right" to switch the cardholder off WE, so you may be right, it might be an MC change that may not be enforced. I feel like that language doesn't match the language you read describing hard requirements.
Mar 8, 2020
1 posts
@[titaniumtux] Curve + Visa(Which card) ? Because any grocery multiplier available in Canada recognizes cotsco as warehouse purchase.