• Oct 19th, 2017 6:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2965 posts
88 upvotes
East York

"Best" media player for MacBooks, even iPhones etc

Hey guys, I'm looking for a media player that supports all file types.

.mkv .mp3, .m4v .mp4 etc

I have VLC but it doesn't support m4v, from my experience.

I'd also be good if the program has the ability to allow you to create playlists for continuous playback so I don't have to open files individually after listening or watching something.

I'd also like it if the program had the ability to speed up playback. I listen to a lot of podcasts for example and I listen to them at 1.5 speed and above on my iPhone... Can't do that with iTunes, VLC allows you to do that but I'm looking for a media player that can support ALL of my files.

Obviously iTunes allows you to create playlists for continuous playback etc but it doesn't allow you the option to speed up playback.

Thanks guys!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2036 posts
1482 upvotes
Montreal
.mp4, .mkv, .m4v, are all just containers. What matters is what video and audio codec are used for those files. Personally, I use VLC on my Macbook and haven't run into any issues. You can also try mpv as well.

On my iPhone, I use nPlayer. I don't watch a ton of stuff on my phone, but again, I haven't run into any issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2965 posts
88 upvotes
East York
clee290 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:55 am
.mp4, .mkv, .m4v, are all just containers. What matters is what video and audio codec are used for those files. Personally, I use VLC on my Macbook and haven't run into any issues. You can also try mpv as well.

On my iPhone, I use nPlayer. I don't watch a ton of stuff on my phone, but again, I haven't run into any issues.
.m4v files don't work on my MacBook.... They haven't worked with VLC I mean for like years now.

All other files work.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2036 posts
1482 upvotes
Montreal
Drew87 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 11:10 am
.m4v files don't work on my MacBook.... They haven't worked with VLC I mean for like years now.

All other files work.
Again, .m4v is just a container. It could be using some codec that is preventing it from being played. You would have to check that yourself. If these are videos purchased from iTunes, it could be the DRM (I'm assuming they are DRM protected) that is preventing it.
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
179 upvotes
Pickering
Jriver is the best video player on the market but its not free. Try the demo.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16702 posts
3669 upvotes
Toronto
On iOS: Infuse Pro
On macOS: IINA (although you’ll have to have something else like vlc as a backup)

IIRC, m4v works fine in vlc. If your m4v files don’t work, it’s probably due to its contents, not the m4v container itself.

The problem with vlc these days is that there is no hardware support for HEVC decode. If you have a 2016 or a 2017 Mac, this is a very important feature to have. Vlc is also very poor at software HEVC playback so even if you don’t have a 2016 or 2017 Mac, you’ll probably want something else for HEVC playback.