• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2019 2:44 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
803 posts
212 upvotes
GTA

Best Mini Android Tablet

I've recently moved away from apple products and would like to get a mini Android based tablet. I've got all Google products right now including Google Max Speakers, Google Pixel Phone etc and love that I can have full control of my devices without some big company imposing their view of how one should use technology.

With that said, are there any good options right now? Seems many of them are outdated with old specs and/or old versions of Android OS. Any suggestions?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1372 posts
1497 upvotes
You are correct. There are pretty much no fast android tablet under 8" anymore. They are all extremely dated. the "fasted" one in this area that I know of is Xiaomi Mi Pad 4.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: Seems many of them are outdated with old specs and/or old versions of Android OS. Any suggestions?
Chinese is about your only choice nowadays.
Samsung has their Galaxy Tab but I don't think you want to pay nearly a grand for the latest one.
Plus I'm starting to hate Samsung with all their crap they integrate. I just want AOSP.

I have a Mi Pad 4 and it's pretty meh despite the specs being decent.
I'm also bitter I had to wait a month to unlock the stupid thing so I could put a non stupid OS on it.
I wouldn't buy again.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
803 posts
212 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Chinese is about your only choice nowadays.
Samsung has their Galaxy Tab but I don't think you want to pay nearly a grand for the latest one.
Plus I'm starting to hate Samsung with all their crap they integrate. I just want AOSP.

I have a Mi Pad 4 and it's pretty meh despite the specs being decent.
I'm also bitter I had to wait a month to unlock the stupid thing so I could put a non stupid OS on it.
I wouldn't buy again.
It's a shame there aren't any quality options out there. I've avoided Samsung products like the plague, I hate companies that fill a device with their own crap. I just want stock android and I'll add the things I want. So based on your reply, I guess there's really nothing that fits that bill?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: It's a shame there aren't any quality options out there. I've avoided Samsung products like the plague, I hate companies that fill a device with their own crap.
Me too.
I just want stock android and I'll add the things I want. So based on your reply, I guess there's really nothing that fits that bill?
Luckily more and more manufacturers are embracing Treble so you can install a GSI on quite a few newer devices.
This is what I've done to a few of my things now.
There's very few "mainstream" manufacturers that are even putting out tablets so you're basically stuck with Chinese.

I've had fairly good luck so far with GSI. It's not all smooth sailing but it's been better than manufacturer crap.

That said, quality is sometimes left to be desired though. My Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 Plus is falling apart already and it's barely 6 months old.
I probably won't be buying them again.

Also when you say "mini" how big are we talking?
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
803 posts
212 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: Also when you say "mini" how big are we talking?
Looking for something along the same size as the iPad Mini. I have the larger iPad right now but find it's just too large for my needs.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4106 posts
414 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Is there a reason why tablets are lagging behind? Is the market just not there for Android tablets? What do people use instead?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1457 posts
1677 upvotes
BC
JagStyles wrote: Looking for something along the same size as the iPad Mini. I have the larger iPad right now but find it's just too large for my needs.
What exactly are your needs?

If you don't game intensively but just consume content like watch videos and movies, read emails, ebooks, news, etc. you really don't need a tablet with the fastest specs and all the other latest techie options that you likely wouldn't use. For such usage I have an Amazon Fire 8 that I bought for $50 at a recent Prime sale. Don't miss all that other techie things that the latest Android version offers because I only use a limited number of apps and it's fine for me.

If you need to have the latest and greatest there aren't a lot of options as manufacturers are finding demand for tablets are dwindling as people are happy with phablets.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4380 posts
2675 upvotes
Gotham
JagStyles wrote: Looking for something along the same size as the iPad Mini. I have the larger iPad right now but find it's just too large for my needs.
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4. It is smaller than an iPad Pro 10.5, which I had before. It is only an inch wider and two inches taller than the iPad mini because the screen ratio is 16 by 9. I find it better to watch video because there is not as much black screen space and it fits nicely on a tray table on an airplane. The screen is amoled and way better than any iPad screen.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4354 posts
4410 upvotes
Vancouver
Typhoonz wrote: Is there a reason why tablets are lagging behind? Is the market just not there for Android tablets? What do people use instead?
Giant phones are cutting into the market for tablets, especially Android. Also I think people tend not to replace tablets as often. We're still using an HP Touchpad from 2011, now on Android 7.1, and it still works fine for apps that just need a big screen and not cutting-edge performance.
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
28 posts
11 upvotes
Newmarket
Android tablets are dead. I don't think it's wise to spend money on them. iPad mini will be a good option. The 2018 version is nice, though you can buy older versions for cheap.
If you still wanna go with android, here are a few options:
Amazon Fire, Lenovo Tab 4, Huawei MediaPad M5 and T1
No Similes, No Metaphors; Just Bullshit Reality.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33304 posts
7003 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I am totally vested in Android

My last Android tablet was a Nexus 9 and it was garbage

The last functional Android tablet was the Nexus 7 (2013)

I’ve given up on Android tablets and now I only use iPads. If google ever decides to release a new Nexus or Pixel tablet, I will be the first in line to buy one
Last edited by Gee on May 31st, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8251 posts
662 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote: I am totally vested in Android

My last Android tablet was a Nexus 9 and it was garbage

The last function Android tablet was the Nexus 7 (2013)

I’ve given up on Android tablets and now I only use iPads. If google ever decides to release a new Nexus or Pixel tablet, I will be the first in line to buy one
Same here. I missed my happy days with Nexus 7, I almost picked up a Nexus 9 but I changed my mind at the last second. We are in the iPad land these days.