Best Mosquito repellent for India

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2019 8:19 am
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
182 posts
280 upvotes

Best Mosquito repellent for India

Malaria and Dengue is very common in India.
Which Mosquito repellent do you guys suggest for India?

I was thinking of this, but couldnt find it in Canada
Sawyer Premium Mosquito Repellent
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1377 posts
561 upvotes
You should be looking at products with equal to or more than 20% picaridin OR 30% DEET which you should be able to find at any big chain pharmacy. brand wise, who cares. pick any one. I've personally only tried the Muskol lotion which you can buy off amazon and I had no problems with it - comes in a 100ml size too which is great for getting through the security lines.

DEET is supposedly more "toxic" but it lasts longer but unless you're spraying it directly in your mouth, it isn't going to really do any harm to you as an adult. kids I might consider picaridin instead.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
182 posts
280 upvotes
Any good suggestions for picaridin based repellent available in Canada? I heard it was banned here
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14812 posts
7742 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Clement wrote: DEET is supposedly more "toxic" but it lasts longer but unless you're spraying it directly in your mouth, it isn't going to really do any harm to you as an adult.
I've had great success with applying DEET on articles of clothing instead of directly on my skin.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1667 posts
1226 upvotes
GTA West
I just came back from India and before travelling I bought the Sawyers lotion and 3M Ultrathon DEET aerosol in a bundle from Amazon US for that trip. I was not impressed by the Sawyers - it has a pleasant smell but the ingredients seem to separate. The Ultrathon aerosol did not spray finely enough and had to be rubbed around for an even application, and the container was too large to be convenient in a small cross-body pouch. You can buy the Ultrathon product at some of the local travel clinics. The claim made by these premium products is that they are controlled-release and last longer.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1789 ... n-faqs.pdf
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
We used this icaridin spray: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6004-931/ ... pray-200ml

I would never go back to DEET having used this. Better smell, not as toxic, won't eat your clothes/watch, etc. WHO says it's as effective as anything with DEET and I would believe them. I am a mosquito magnet and I got no bites with this.