Food & Drink

Best Online Service for Chocolate Delivery (Trying to be a good BF...and be Lazy...)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 8:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes

Best Online Service for Chocolate Delivery (Trying to be a good BF...and be Lazy...)

Hello RFDs,

So here is the deal. The girl friend is obsessed with chocolate berries (Chocolate dipped, wild berries chocolate dusted...whatever you can get) and it is basically the only thing she asks for. (To be clear not chocolate bars with berries in them...that would make my life easy) There are no chocolate shops near my apartment and I do not drive. I've been looking online to see what the best solutions are to order online at it appears all the good services are in the States but not in Canada. All I can find here are the very expensive gift baskets. I need a more economical solution for the long term. I would guess? my best bet would be somewhere that sells chocolate dusted wild berries as the chocolate dip strawberries would go bad in the summer if delivered?

Any suggestions on good places to get chocolate? Thank you for helping me avoid long buses!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6931 posts
6439 upvotes
Toronto
Have you looked at Edible Arrangements?... they are great, not cheap, but not crazy expensive if you find a coupon or an offer

https://www.ediblearrangements.ca/

Or, you can just give her some Chocolate Salty Balls, like on that South Park episode
OmgDrake wrote: Hello RFDs,

So here is the deal. The girl friend is obsessed with chocolate berries (Chocolate dipped, wild berries chocolate dusted...whatever you can get) and it is basically the only thing she asks for. (To be clear not chocolate bars with berries in them...that would make my life easy) There are no chocolate shops near my apartment and I do not drive. I've been looking online to see what the best solutions are to order online at it appears all the good services are in the States but not in Canada. All I can find here are the very expensive gift baskets. I need a more economical solution for the long term. I would guess? my best bet would be somewhere that sells chocolate dusted wild berries as the chocolate dip strawberries would go bad in the summer if delivered?

Any suggestions on good places to get chocolate? Thank you for helping me avoid long buses!
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes
Hmm well they are at least on par with Godiva (3 dollars a berry). If I could find coupons this looks good....
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes
North York. I live near Wilson Station. I used to go to the Godiva at Yorkdale Mall but they are closed for Reno's for 3 months :S
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9545 posts
3810 upvotes
Toronto
chocolate dipped strawberries are easy to make. put them in a nice box for her. you'll get brownie points for the extra effort.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: chocolate dipped strawberries are easy to make. put them in a nice box for her. you'll get brownie points for the extra effort.
This. You're paying a HUGE convenience fee for something you can do yourself.
A box of strawberries is like $3. Enough chocolate to dip them is like $3. A bit of cocoa butter (to thin it out) is like $0.25.
You net like 30 strawberries too which means a couple for you.
If you have a steady hand, you could try decorating them too with $1 worth of white chocolate and a piping bag made out of a ziploc.

For the price difference, you could probably hire your own delivery guy.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: This. You're paying a HUGE convenience fee for something you can do yourself.
A box of strawberries is like $3. Enough chocolate to dip them is like $3. A bit of cocoa butter (to thin it out) is like $0.25.
You net like 30 strawberries too which means a couple for you.
If you have a steady hand, you could try decorating them too with $1 worth of white chocolate and a piping bag made out of a ziploc.

For the price difference, you could probably hire your own delivery guy.
Recommended any kinds of chocolate for the fondue? I see Hershey's Fondue chocolate has good reviews. I tried this before with dark chocolate flakes and it was way to bitter.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
OmgDrake wrote: Recommended any kinds of chocolate for the fondue? I see Hershey's Fondue chocolate has good reviews. I tried this before with dark chocolate flakes and it was way to bitter.
I should note that tempering chocolate without an immersion circulator is kind of a pain in the butt.
You can do it with traditional tools but it's a bit of work.
So maybe it's not quite as easy.
You don't HAVE to temper the chocolate but you get a better quality product out of it.
You won't have the crisp snap if you don't temper.

With that out of the way, I'm cheap and use chocolate chips and cocoa butter.
You can buy special dipping chocolates or ones with a higher cocoa butter content but that costs money.
Chipits at Costco are like $2/lb. Cocoa butter is $10/lb but you don't need nearly that much (I use up to 20% by weight)
A premium chocolate is like $10/lb (or more).

If you really want to get fancy, a lot of places sell 1lb blocks of Callebaut.

Either way, it's still cheaper than paying like $30 for 6 chocolate covered strawberries.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2208 posts
405 upvotes
edible arrangements but they're more so for business contacts and such than showing your gf you love her
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes
c_snapper wrote: edible arrangements but they're more so for business contacts and such than showing your gf you love her
To be clear this has gotten to a practice food point like making ribs for dinner more so then a love gift. The romance of the jester goes away when you need the item twice a week lol.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I should note that tempering chocolate without an immersion circulator is kind of a pain in the butt.
You can do it with traditional tools but it's a bit of work.
So maybe it's not quite as easy.
You don't HAVE to temper the chocolate but you get a better quality product out of it.
You won't have the crisp snap if you don't temper.

With that out of the way, I'm cheap and use chocolate chips and cocoa butter.
You can buy special dipping chocolates or ones with a higher cocoa butter content but that costs money.
Chipits at Costco are like $2/lb. Cocoa butter is $10/lb but you don't need nearly that much (I use up to 20% by weight)
A premium chocolate is like $10/lb (or more).

If you really want to get fancy, a lot of places sell 1lb blocks of Callebaut.

Either way, it's still cheaper than paying like $30 for 6 chocolate covered strawberries.
Hmm I will have to do some reading if I can get away with a food run every few months and then just buy fruit regularly thats not such a bad option.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
The more I think about it, the more I think I would just buy them if I didn't have an immersion circulator.

Working with chocolate is actually kind of a pain in the butt due to the exacting temperature requirements.

Even with an immersion circulator I sometimes screw up the temper because I need 2 different temperatures and a way to speed cool things but not cool it too much.

With that said, with the cost of chocolate covered strawberries ($3 each) it wouldn't take too many of them to literally pay for one if it's a long term thing.
The Anova goes on sale for $120?USD so after FX and stuff like containers and bowls you're looking at like $200.
Assuming you'll go through more than 100 strawberries in your lifetime you can easily pay for one.

EDIT: Here's my setup:

This is the first phase of tempering (melting).
Next up is cooling to low 80sF
Then you have to keep it at 89F which is the pain in the butt part without an immersion circulator or chocolate tempering machine.
That's not to say that you can't do it without one but it involves careful monitoring of temperatures and constant removal and replacement on to a bain marie since you can't let it get too cool because it's hard to dip and you can't let it get too warm because it'll lose temper and you'll have to start over.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8660 posts
2590 upvotes
Mississauga
www.chocolatefx.ca in Niagara Falls. You may want to pay them a visit first to see if you like the chocolate they use. I was at their factory store a few months ago and they have a huge selection of chocolate covered items.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Dogwater wrote:

Also, I saw bag of frozen chocolate covered strawberry in Walmart freezer, near the ice cream and frozen fruit section

-
Man that sounds hideous.
Frozen fruit isn't really meant to be eaten straight.