• Apr 9th, 2019 9:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto

Best option for 3 lines for family

So I find myself needing to replace my corporate phone with a personal device. Them's the breaks :)

I have 2 x Koodo $48 / 5GB plans now for the wife and kiddo. Kid uses tons of data but manages easily within the 5GB (at 17 years old I might add). Wife uses literally a few hundred MB monthly of her 5000 allotment.

I use a lot - but can likely manage with a 5GB limit easily enough as well.

Going to go shopping this around, but any competitive BYOD sharing plans out there or is $150 a month more or less in my future for three phones?

No new phones or tabs needed - we have 3 iPhone 7+ already.
27 replies
Oct 17, 2010
641 posts
301 upvotes
Terrace
Sounds like you're better off taking over your wife's $48 plan and get her a public mobile prepaid with 1gb of data for $23/month. I don't know how you can accomplished that by keeping the same numbers but someone here maybe able to help you.

Unless you don't mind going to Public Mobile for yourself and use their $38 5gb throttled LTE plan.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19657 posts
9107 upvotes
Oakville
Tobsterboi wrote: I don't know how you can accomplished that by keeping the same numbers but someone here maybe able to help you.
Short answer: you pretty much can't.
Longer answer: used to be you could find a rep that would be able to help you do that, but only within the same carrier. But nowadays? The odds are effectively zero.
Feb 5, 2019
39 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Koodo doesn't have any discounts for putting multiple lines on one account, but both Fido and Virgin do. Fido officially offers 10% off additional phone line plans even if the additional lines cost more per month. IOW, make the primary plan your wife's (4GB for $50) and then get 10% off the other two plans (6GB for $60 plans).
https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Gu ... nt-program

I've spoken with Virgin Mobile customer support and they'll also offer the 10% deal even though it doesn't show on their site. So if you're happy with Koodo tell them you're considering Fido for the 10% off multiple lines and they might give you a deal. Call Fido first and see what total monthly rate they'll offer for the three lines so you have a solid number to tell Koodo.

-Stephen R Clark-
WhistleOut Canada
whistleout.ca

All The Best Wireless Plans, All In One Place.
Dec 4, 2017
586 posts
259 upvotes
This isn't immediately helpful to the OP, but maybe the OP can help others in future: given that Koodo recently increased the minimum monthly payment to $50 to qualify for Tab Medium, it would be great to know whether Koodo makes an exception for Tab qualification in future for this $48 plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto
I shopped around a few of the kiosks at Sherway and oddly the best deal seems to be with Bell.

Tbooth quoted:

$40 for BYOD Unlimited Canada-wide calling plan
$25 for 6GB, $35 for 10GB, $45 for 14GB Shareable Data + 5GB Bonus Data (ongoing promo w no expiration)
$40 for each additional BYOD line

So for the existing 2 lines I could do $80 for the 2 Canada plans and $25 for 6+5GB of shareable data. $105 compared to the $96 for the 2x $48 Koodo plans they are on now.

$9 extra total and they get to share the data, get 11GB total vs. 10GB, and not be on a grey-market MB/SK plan.

For an additional line I would increase the data to 10+5GB at $35 and $120 for the 3 Canada plans, so $155 for the 3 lines. $52 each with 15GB Shareable data.

For $10 more I can go to 19GB of data or about 6.3GB each for $55

$55 for a Canada-wide unlimited with 19GB shared data plan sounds not too bad, especially for Bell.

I took a photo of the rate sheets from Bell and her notes. Can't seem to replicate this on the Bell website.

I'm also a Bell customer at home for Fibe Gig internet, Fibe TV (basic) and Home Phone/LD. Having it all in one place might give me bargaining power when it comes time to negotiate my home promos again.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19657 posts
9107 upvotes
Oakville
torontotim wrote: I shopped around a few of the kiosks at Sherway and oddly the best deal seems to be with Bell.

Tbooth quoted:

$40 for BYOD Unlimited Canada-wide calling plan
$25 for 6GB, $35 for 10GB, $45 for 14GB Shareable Data + 5GB Bonus Data (ongoing promo w no expiration)
$40 for each additional BYOD line

So for the existing 2 lines I could do $80 for the 2 Canada plans and $25 for 6+5GB of shareable data. $105 compared to the $96 for the 2x $48 Koodo plans they are on now.

$9 extra total and they get to share the data, get 11GB total vs. 10GB, and not be on a grey-market MB/SK plan.

For an additional line I would increase the data to 10+5GB at $35 and $120 for the 3 Canada plans, so $155 for the 3 lines. $52 each with 15GB Shareable data.

For $10 more I can go to 19GB of data or about 6.3GB each for $55

$55 for a Canada-wide unlimited with 19GB shared data plan sounds not too bad, especially for Bell.

I took a photo of the rate sheets from Bell and her notes. Can't seem to replicate this on the Bell website.

I'm also a Bell customer at home for Fibe Gig internet, Fibe TV (basic) and Home Phone/LD. Having it all in one place might give me bargaining power when it comes time to negotiate my home promos again.
If you absolutely need shareable data (or full speed LTE), then yeah, this isn't a bad deal. If you don't need sharing and you can deal with LTE capped at 3mbps (that is to say - if you're not streaming at 1080p, which you shouldn't be, and you're not downloading gigantic files on the regular - which covers most users) you can get 8.5GB per line with Public Mobile (on the same network as Bell) for an average of $47.50 a month ($48/month/line with autopay enabled, plus $1 off per month referral discount if you refer the second line from the first). Take $1/month off for every year you're with them, as well. BUT, Public Mobile's support is also forum-based only, and while it's been excellent in my experience? It isn't for everybody.

As for increasing your negotiating leverage with Bell... Yeah, I don't see adding cell service as a particularly big incentive, but hey, ya never know. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto
I don't need 8.5GB on each line, especially at capped speeds. I expect Public could offer 20GB at capped speeds and nobody would be reaching the limits. My 17 year old daughter manages with 5GB on Koodo with LTE speeds and has for 3+ years through high school.

The shareable data just lets me gain the value of my wife's unused data. Sometimes we use her data while up at the cottage, but it would be simpler if it was just a single pool.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19657 posts
9107 upvotes
Oakville
torontotim wrote: I don't need 8.5GB on each line, especially at capped speeds. I expect Public could offer 20GB at capped speeds and nobody would be reaching the limits. My 17 year old daughter manages with 5GB on Koodo with LTE speeds and has for 3+ years through high school.

The shareable data just lets me gain the value of my wife's unused data. Sometimes we use her data while up at the cottage, but it would be simpler if it was just a single pool.
Like I said - if you need the shareable data, then obviously it makes more sense to shell out the extra money (over $100 a year per line for the first year, increasing by $12 per line for every year after that) for the Bell solution.

Having said that - speaking to your other point... Speed isn't a limiting factor with data use these days, even at the "low" speeds that PM offers on their capped speed plans. If you are downloading at full 3Mbps speeds, you'll use up 8.5GB in just about 6 and a third hours. With Netflix SD streaming (0.7GB/hour), you could use up over 20GB just by streaming 1 hour a day.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20252 posts
8321 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote: Public Mobile snail speeds are annoying even for basic web browsing. Those that say there’s no difference are trying to justify it by the few dollars they’re saving.
You really do have an axe to grind with that brand. I can't say that many who use the service agrees with your viewpoint.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1420 posts
315 upvotes
ORLEANS
will888 wrote: You really do have an axe to grind with that brand. I can't say that many who use the service agrees with your viewpoint.
Last I checked, my moms phone loads 1080p YouTube videos just fine and buffers almost instant while skipping a few seconds of video. Helped her refer all hers friends to public. Now she is paying $30+tax for 5GB with PM. About to be $29 because 1 year is almost here. None of her friends ever complained about the speed
Feb 17, 2018
61 posts
35 upvotes
I'm with wearysky and tobsterboi here...
Going with your needs outlined in your first post:

PublicMobile, LTE light (3G speed), unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited international texts
Line 1: 4.5GB + 0.5GB bonus = 5GB for $40 - $2 auto pay reward - $1 referral credit (Line 2) = $37
Line 2: 4.5GB + 0.5GB bonus = 5GB for $40 - $2 auto pay reward - $1 referral credit (Line 3) = $37
Line 3: 0.5GB + 0.5GB bonus = 1GB for $25 - $2 auto pay reward = $23
Total per 30 days for the first year: $97+tax

- Being prepaid there are no overage charges, data just stops working if you reach your limit. You can add an add-on as necessary, which doesn't expire until used up .
- Be aware that the online only support system at Public Mobile is a) not everybody's cup of tea and b) might mean, in an extreme case, that you could be without service for up to a couple of days while waiting for a solution for account problems - it's extremely rare (I'm one of those thousands of PM customers who has never had a problem in more than 2 years), but it can happen. So it might not be suitable for a line for which 24/7 reachability is critical.
- More referrals possible, refer more friends, be active in the community, loyalty reward $1 per year...
- Depending on usage pattern on line 3, you could save up to additional $10/30days: You could go with 100 Canada wide minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited texts, 250MB for $13 after auto pay. For the occasional minute over the 100/30days buy the 400 LD minutes for $15, = $0.0375/additional minute. (I would say using close to 250MB and total 300minutes/30days would be about the the threshold to go for the unlimited / 1GB plan (100 plan minutes + 200 add-on minutes = $13+(200*0.0375) = $20.50))

[Public Mobile] New Autopay Plans. From $15 to $50 less Autopay discount
Public Mobile (owned by Telus) $13, $23 and $38 plans or less (+ signup incentives)
May 15, 2012
133 posts
59 upvotes
Surrey
will888 wrote: You really do have an axe to grind with that brand. I can't say that many who use the service agrees with your viewpoint.
@will888, agreed. OP, I switched to PM from TELUS (same network as others have said) and have noticed no slow downs.

OP, another option that is similar to PM is Lucky. I just put my M.I.L on the $25 prepaid with autopay 500 MB bonus and she is thrilled. Half than what she was paying for Rogers for the same thing. Plus Lucky has live agents to call just in case which in this case because she needed to call once for technical support.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19657 posts
9107 upvotes
Oakville
hvwozq wrote: There is a post from a Public Mobile employee that says some customers lost service, and you're here telling me you never lost service. Face With Tears Of Joy
Yeah, I was with them for a year and a half and never lost service. A handful of customers lost service yesterday (which is EXCEEDINGLY rare - and none of the people I know on PM were affected by it), and you're presenting it as proof that PM is garbage as if it happens all the time. Like I said, keep grinding that axe. The thousands and thousands of people that are perfectly happy with their service can continue using it, and I'll happily keep recommending it to people to (and likely be switching back myself, since I'm guessing the CFTS isn't going to do anything about Koodo stripping medium tabs off the migration plans)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5647 posts
3567 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Yeah, I was with them for a year and a half and never lost service. A handful of customers lost service yesterday (which is EXCEEDINGLY rare - and none of the people I know on PM were affected by it), and you're presenting it as proof that PM is garbage as if it happens all the time. Like I said, keep grinding that axe. The thousands and thousands of people that are perfectly happy with their service can continue using it, and I'll happily keep recommending it to people to (and likely be switching back myself, since I'm guessing the CFTS isn't going to do anything about Koodo stripping medium tabs off the migration plans)
Less than a month ago, people were unable to make calls: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/340724
Rare indeed. Some people think they're sticking it to the big telcos by signing up for Public Mobile. :lol: Have fun paying for an inferior product and no customer service.