Best option for 3 lines for family

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 9:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5000 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not looking to save $5 a month here and there.

Both Bell and Rogers have decent deals for the scenario where I go from 3 lines back down to 2, once my line goes back on a corporate plan in the near future. So long as I continue paying ~$100 for 2 lines with ~10GB of data I'm more or less happy. We need coverage at the cottage without worrying about 'zones' and I don't see much point in saving $5 or $10 to drop to 3G speeds and be at the whim of shoddy network support.

The really strange thing is TBooth has Bell offers that Bell cannot match.

$40 per line for Canada-wide unlimited voice, unlimited text and then $35 for 10+5GB Shareable data. $155 for three lines at 15GB

$25 for 6+5GB of Shareable data, so $105 for 2 lines at 11GB
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
torontotim wrote: I'm not looking to save $5 a month here and there.

Both Bell and Rogers have decent deals for the scenario where I go from 3 lines back down to 2, once my line goes back on a corporate plan in the near future. So long as I continue paying ~$100 for 2 lines with ~10GB of data I'm more or less happy. We need coverage at the cottage without worrying about 'zones' and I don't see much point in saving $5 or $10 to drop to 3G speeds and be at the whim of shoddy network support.

The really strange thing is TBooth has Bell offers that Bell cannot match.

$40 per line for Canada-wide unlimited voice, unlimited text and then $35 for 10+5GB Shareable data. $155 for three lines at 15GB

$25 for 6+5GB of Shareable data, so $105 for 2 lines at 11GB
Like I said - if you're ok paying the extra couple hundred bucks a year to Bell, and you'll take advantage of the ability to share data? It's a fine choice.

But just to clarify any misperceptions again, lest somebody else come along and read this thread (or for future reference) - Public Mobile is literally the exact same network as Bell. No zones. They've still got LTE latency (the most important thing when using mobile data), they just cap the max speeds to 3 Mbps (which is more than enough for all but the biggest power users who demand the absolute maximum speed at all times even if they're not using it, or folks that want their mobile pr0n in 4k).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5000 upvotes
Toronto
OK you have convinced me to try out Lucky or Public for the one line I need to deal with now (mine) and I'll test out their speeds. If it's suitable I'll consider porting my wife and daughter from their Koodo plans.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Lucky Mobile is real Bell and actually reliable. Public Mobile might have the network but their billing system is less reliable than Freedom Mobile. Don’t forget most people advertise Public Mobile for referrals.
You spend alot of resources (your time and energy) on Public Mobile and grinding that axe. But i have appreciated your dissenting voice if only to ensure I conduct proper due diligence. But you can let off some slack now. Or maybe seek help?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
gameon12 wrote: You spend alot of resources (your time and energy) on Public Mobile and grinding that axe. But i have appreciated your dissenting voice if only to ensure I conduct proper due diligence. But you can let off some slack now. Or maybe seek help?
How many referrals did you get by posting in the Public Mobile threads?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5000 upvotes
Toronto
I've gone with Lucky. Not that I care which, but the fact I can call them might be handy, and if I was ever to want LTE speeds I wouldn't bother with Public as I can get better deals for multiple lines with Bell or Rogers.

Simple enough process so far, but hit a hiccup porting my corporate number out, which is no surprise. So we'll see how that goes in the next 24 hours. Went with the full $50 for Canada/US calling as many of my colleagues are in the US.

Don't need the 8GB of data but for the $10 I'll take US calling.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: How many referrals did you get by posting in the Public Mobile threads?
I'm not dissuading you from taking the antagonist view. I find that constructive. Keep up the effort and I hope you derive satisfaction.

For the record I not received any referrals from my posts.