Best option for assorted fasteners?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2020 2:25 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2020
110 posts
43 upvotes

Best option for assorted fasteners?

I've found myself stumped on a lot of projects due to lack of fasteners. If I need the fastener ASAP, I'll go down to the Home Depot and buy them. If it's less urgent, I'll grab a few from work the next day. I'd like to have a stock of common sizes, but a lot of the sets I've seen on Amazon, for instance, go from M2 to M5, which seems like a waste, since I'd never use an M2 or M3. There are some options here, but I'm not sure if it's the best option.

I've thought about ordering some stuff from Fastenal through work, but to spec out every size of M5, M6, M8, 1/4-20, etc would take a lot of time.

Does anyone have a better "bulk" assorted option? I'm not running a shop out of my garage, so I don't need 500 of every size. Probably like 20 of the common sizes with 3-4 lengths each.
6 replies
Mar 17, 2006
618 posts
330 upvotes
I hear you OP. I've always been jealous of my dad's bolt and screw collection. Whenever he needs something he just grabs one of his glass jars and finds what he needs. I've been a homeowner now for 12 years and growing my own. In fact, whenever i used to walk my dog and noticed a screw or bolt on the ground i always picked it up and added it to my growing collection. My wife thought I was some cheap bastard picking up a screws off the ground.
Sep 5, 2011
854 posts
1428 upvotes
Toronto
I buy all of the frequently used fasteners in bulk. For the not so common fasterners, I only buy it when I need it plus a little extra for my growing collection—you will have a huge collection in no time.

I buy the fasteners from random places like Fasternal, Brafasco, Bolts, princess auto, homedepot, Lowe’s, home hardware, Richelieu, JC Hardware, Mississauga Hardware....the list keep goes on and on.

This is my collection from 3 years ago. It has grown a lot more since then.

14851B7A-EFE2-42DD-A919-34DDC62B702E.jpeg
F680C458-DB61-4CE3-B8F0-9461631629A4.jpeg
Sep 6, 2020
17 posts
13 upvotes
I buy random tool boxes from auctions for cheap. Have amassed a decent collection of hardware this way along with tools. Whatever I don't want or have a use for get donated to the ReStore.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3554 posts
2589 upvotes
Toronto
My uncle (RIP) was crazy organized around bolts. We rebuilt any number of motorcycles in his shop, and he had bins organized by size and length of all the fasteners you could want.

His secret was to have his kids take things apart, measure and organize the fasteners. Started as soon as they could turn a wrench.

Made things much easier than my 'lego bin' full of all my nuts and bolts ;)

I've gone into Brafasco with a list of all the fasteners on a motorcycle and replaced them all with socket-cap stainless bolts, having made a spreadsheet of all the sizes from the Honda parts manual (the part numbers told you the size and length of all the metric bolts). Made life easy, albeit expensive.

What I need to do is make a bin of 10mm sockets and wrenches.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12726 posts
9373 upvotes
Edmonton
torontotim wrote: My uncle (RIP) was crazy organized around bolts. We rebuilt any number of motorcycles in his shop, and he had bins organized by size and length of all the fasteners you could want.

His secret was to have his kids take things apart, measure and organize the fasteners. Started as soon as they could turn a wrench.

Made things much easier than my 'lego bin' full of all my nuts and bolts ;)

I've gone into Brafasco with a list of all the fasteners on a motorcycle and replaced them all with socket-cap stainless bolts, having made a spreadsheet of all the sizes from the Honda parts manual (the part numbers told you the size and length of all the metric bolts). Made life easy, albeit expensive.

What I need to do is make a bin of 10mm sockets and wrenches.
Why would you keep an empty bin around?

C