• Oct 1st, 2019 10:36 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2008
86 posts
30 upvotes
Winnipeg

Best Option to buy iPhone 6S outright

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase an unlocked iPhone 6S or 7 outright to be used with an already purchased prepaid sim card. I currently have an annual plan on my existing phone. The current plan is with BellMTS so I believe compatibility is not an issue. Here is what I have learned from days of research and past threads.

New from pretty much anywhere
Cost will be over $450 but at least it will be a new phone with warranty from Apple

Refurb from any online source (Amazon, best buy, newegg, etc) anywhere from $150 - $300
This is appealing, but I do question what refurb really means...I am not interested in getting an old scratched up phone with sub par battery life

Used from kijiji, etc. Not interested, to many sketchy people out there

New from the US (prepaid phone and then unlock) - this is the most intriguing option as it looks like a simple drive to Walmart or Best Buy and pick up a brand new phone for around $200 US. (half price compared to anything I can find in Canada)

Koodo tab loophole....don't really know how this worked, but my understanding is it is now closed as they front you a credit but you pay it back if you cancel the contract. So probably a no go.

My question to the community is "Can I realistically get a new or Apple Re-certified (Apple 1yr Warranty) iPhone 6S - 32GB min or an iPhone 7 for under $250 CAD??" Has anyone done the ATT unlock method and had success?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4527 upvotes
Alberta
Costco had them the last time I was there.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1100 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
I had a good experience buying a used iPhone from getorchard.

Accessories aren't included, but you can buy them cheaply if you plan ahead.

For a 6S, you're probably getting a 3 year old phone. Battery could be good for another few years.

It's CAD$65 for a battery replacement by Apple. Probably less from a non-Apple store.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4637 posts
3997 upvotes
GTA
HammerRFDer wrote: I had a good experience buying a used iPhone from getorchard.

Accessories aren't included, but you can buy them cheaply if you plan ahead.

For a 6S, you're probably getting a 3 year old phone. Battery could be good for another few years.

It's CAD$65 for a battery replacement by Apple. Probably less from a non-Apple store.
$65 at Apple that's a steal. Don't even think about saving $15 by going with Jagmeender at your local Flea Market. If something goes wrong - you are out of luck. Had battery done at Apple and the home button started acting up shortly after. Apple replaced the phone with new 6S, Yes new, not the grey box refurb. Apparently they have surplus of new 6s phones, so they were happy to do it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7715 posts
1404 upvotes
Toronto
It goes with any iPhone or iPad. They pretty much give you a new unit for the price of a battery.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2095 posts
681 upvotes
I bought an iPhone 8 last Saturday for $250 off Kijiji. Battery health is still 88%.