Best Option to Restrict Kid's Wifi Access

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 3:45 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
26 posts
5 upvotes

Best Option to Restrict Kid's Wifi Access

Was wonder what people find is the best solution to restricting your kid's home wifi access. We wanted to restrict their access during certain hours of the day using the home wifi. We have Rogers but our modem does not seem to allow for this feature. One solution was to buy a wifi extender that allows for a separate wifi network and password. Then this extender would be put on a timer (similar to what you use on a Christmas tree) and the kids could only use the wifi when the extender was on. You would need to hide the extender so the kids could not just unplug it.

Is there a product that allows for this set up that may be more cost effective? This is mainly for ipad, cellphones (no data plans) and laptops. Thanks for your assistance.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2637 posts
234 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
How tech savvy are your kids? For a simple solution I would lock IPs to device MAC addresses, then place restrictions on those IPs. This should be possible through your Rogers modem/ wifi router.

For this to work you would have to add every new device that your children get into the router settings.
Apr 26, 2016
151 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've been looking at a solution to the same concern, along with getting access into each room within our home.

https://store.google.com/ca/product/google_wifi

im thinking of getting the Google Wifi. fixes my dead-zones, along with the ability to restrict certain devices upon discretion. I havent bought this but this is leading the way for what i need - could be looked into for your needs.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2327 posts
234 upvotes
Ottawa
jimmyho56 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:34 am
Was wonder what people find is the best solution to restricting your kid's home wifi access. We wanted to restrict their access during certain hours of the day using the home wifi. We have Rogers but our modem does not seem to allow for this feature. One solution was to buy a wifi extender that allows for a separate wifi network and password. Then this extender would be put on a timer (similar to what you use on a Christmas tree) and the kids could only use the wifi when the extender was on. You would need to hide the extender so the kids could not just unplug it.

Is there a product that allows for this set up that may be more cost effective? This is mainly for ipad, cellphones (no data plans) and laptops. Thanks for your assistance.
Apple or Android?
i am using MMGuardian (https://family.mmguardian.com/)on my kid's Android phone and tablet.
works great, but we have an understanding. He knows what i can see and what i can do, and he is "ok" with that ;-)
MMGuardian a bit less capable with Apple devices, but then there is Qustodo -= https://www.qustodio.com/en/
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Oct 24, 2004
528 posts
72 upvotes
I was having this issue with my kids. They never get off those things, I had enough of it.

I wanted a cheap option as well but tuned into a free option.

I’m using the Find my iPhone app on the iOS.
- Create a password that you will only know on the devices. There’s an option on how long you want to keep the device on, I put 4 hours so this way they don’t keep on asking what the password is if it turns off.

- In Find My IPhone app you will see all the devices, pick the device you want to shut down. Tap the device image.
- You will see 3 options, select Lost Mode and the device will shut down. In order to turn it back on you need the password that you only know.

So far it’s working, kids aren’t happy about it but too bad.
Jan 4, 2008
194 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
ASUS RT-68U, the regular firmware has controls like this, setup the controlled network for them, set a "adult" one and dont give them the pass key for that.

Or yes if you can run an ethernet cable to the intended wifi area. There is a good quality access point maker called OpenMesh that offers CloudTrax(free cloud controller), it is very similar to the high end Cisco Meraki product. You have MANY ways to control the network with these devices, I recommend the A40/A60 access points. * These are also capable of meshing, meaning that you can daisy chain the AP's wirelessly if you ever want more AP's in your home, no more need for additional ethernet cabling.

https://www.openmesh.com/partners/global-resellers
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25360 posts
2741 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Cameraguy23 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:10 am
I was having this issue with my kids. They never get off those things, I had enough of it.

I wanted a cheap option as well but tuned into a free option.

I’m using the Find my iPhone app on the iOS.
- Create a password that you will only know on the devices. There’s an option on how long you want to keep the device on, I put 4 hours so this way they don’t keep on asking what the password is if it turns off.

- In Find My IPhone app you will see all the devices, pick the device you want to shut down. Tap the device image.
- You will see 3 options, select Lost Mode and the device will shut down. In order to turn it back on you need the password that you only know.

So far it’s working, kids aren’t happy about it but too bad.
I like this solution. Killing the internet is not enough as there are still games they can play offline.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7646 posts
417 upvotes
Scarborough
My 8 years old used to have the same problem. My solution is kept telling her to stay off iPad and computer between #pm to # pm DAY AFTER DAY for 2 weeks. Hey, it worked out :)
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
26 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks for the great solutions. Not sure which option we will go with. Not really a fan of a monthly fee. Will see if the find my phone app may solve our initial problems but won't really control content. Hope others find these solutions helpful.
Aug 29, 2017
120 posts
120 upvotes
turtleh wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:20 am
ASUS RT-68U, the regular firmware has controls like this, setup the controlled network for them, set a "adult" one and dont give them the pass key for that.

Or yes if you can run an ethernet cable to the intended wifi area. There is a good quality access point maker called OpenMesh that offers CloudTrax(free cloud controller), it is very similar to the high end Cisco Meraki product. You have MANY ways to control the network with these devices, I recommend the A40/A60 access points. * These are also capable of meshing, meaning that you can daisy chain the AP's wirelessly if you ever want more AP's in your home, no more need for additional ethernet cabling.

https://www.openmesh.com/partners/global-resellers
I second the Asus routers. Although most routers will have some parental controls built in, the AC-1900P was the best solution for us. I can set parental controls independently for each connected device, including blocking Adult/phishing/malicious sites, controlling time of use, plus as a bonus it has Ai Protection sublicensed with TrendMicro, so everything stops at the router!

Good luck using the tablet on our system after 10pm!
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
Dec 14, 2004
618 posts
21 upvotes
Waterloo
Like others have said I like the combo of getting a router that has access controls by time and date. In addition, in the past I've used OpenDNS to filter sites.
Jun 8, 2007
676 posts
119 upvotes
Oshawa
I would suggest having a look at fing box.. seems like it should do what you want. I have looked at them a few times but have not bought.. seem like mostly decent reviews and not bad price. Lots of other things it does to
Jan 20, 2017
57 posts
10 upvotes
I think I could use some help here
I have tried parental controls on PC, work fine to some extent but not with all apps. I dont want to go the same route with cell phones.
What I am wondering is - What is the best solution for restricting applications, chats, websites, etc, at router level?
Ideally I need something that works with existing router/modem or be a complete solution in itself and able to monitor everything inside the home network. Can someone please mention any names of such devices or solutions?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Psychoblur