• Apr 29th, 2021 6:24 pm
Tags:
None
1 reply
Nov 24, 2007
672 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I purchased a Vankyo Leisure 470 around Christmas for $120.

The smart phone/tablet mirroring didn't work out due to Netflix and Prime both having DRM issues, but I resolved that by picking up an Amazon Fire Stick to plug into the unit. I suspect that this will be an issue with all projectors in this class.

Although the picture quality doesn't compare to my 1080p HT projector, outside it looks pretty damn good. Additionally, the speaker is surprisingly strong and completely eliminates the need for any additional amplification unless you're trying to get HT sound levels which are likely to piss off your neighbors. The sound quality even at fairly high volumes is reasonably full and rich.

My primary gripe with the unit is that it does not have any central tripod mount; rather, you are expected to use a "tripod projector stand" with a flat plate on top. You can actually screw a tripod mount into the hole for the levelling foot, but it is at the front edge of the projector - this leaves it unbalanced and risks breaking something due to the unusual stress.

We've only used this a couple of times so far, but the kids really enjoyed watching a movie sitting the the driveway in the snow, and sitting in the gazebo having dinner. Next time we'll use it while lounging in the swim spa!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)