• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2022 11:34 pm
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west

Best Password Program

So in the last month I have gotten 2 emails saying my emails have been changed. Playstation and Spotify.

Spotify I rarely use, but Playstation I do. It took a whole lot of information provided to the CSR that I was me, otherwise I would of lost 13 years of games, etc.

I have turned on 2 factor authentication for my Sony account now

I do use different password, but not always, just due to the amount of accounts I have. I have different information for very important stuff like banks and the like

But Im thinking maybe a password database so I dont have to have the same password for everything, and really only remember one

I have heard good and bad things about these password programs. So want some real world advice on them, and what ones are recommended. And cost of course
20 replies
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Zero1 wrote: password-manager-recommendation-2488459/

Personal recommendation from that thread, bitwarden.
Thanks. Ill read into it more.. I know some day to use some coding to do passwords so you just have them in your head. Must ber a better brain then mine to have a different password for 20 plus years of internet use. I know there is no way I could rmember them all, even if I used some naming conventioon that changed with each site
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
1password if you want great auto-fill and no work on your end. Con is that the cost is higher than Bitwarden.

Bitwarden otherwise. I personally run a self hosted bitwarden server and find the clients to be more than adequate. I donate to the project each year because I get so much value out of it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
I've had Lastpass for several years and it works well for me. Free version since I only use it on my desktop.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
woof wrote: I've had Lastpass for several years and it works well for me. Free version since I only use it on my desktop.
Thats all im looking for. I rarely access sites I log into from my phone
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
there are free options usually built into the browser. for these you can use a site to generate random passwords if not done by the browser. I have used chrome, Firefox, safari they all are basic

the other ones I used were 1password and bitwarden

1password is hosted by them. This one supports filling in verification codes like used at Sony
the one I am at current is Bitwarden hosting myself but for a fee they will host it and also do the verification code for you
May 26, 2014
216 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Bitwarden, took 2 evenings to change all my passwords, but damn. I love bitwarden.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2013
1615 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
I think Google Chrome is just fine, my LastPass seems like a redundancy at this point
Nov 19, 2020
108 posts
58 upvotes
I use 3 different password managers (depending on device).

On my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac), I use iCloud Keychain and Firefox Lockwise.

On my Windows PC devices, I use Firefox Lockwise along with Chrome (depending on browser).

And for third party, I use Kaspersky Password Manager since it supports 2FA as well as it was included with my annual Kaspersky Total Security (Antivirus) subscription.

I have been using the above solutions for years, and have yet to have any issues.
Just remember to turn on 2FA on all of your accounts if the site supports it, and preferably 2FA with an authenticator app or with hardware base U2F which are both more secure than phone text message base 2FA

Also, make sure all of your passwords are strong, and are unique for each account/website.
Oct 1, 2009
662 posts
325 upvotes
West coast
WikkiWikki wrote: Thats all im looking for. I rarely access sites I log into from my phone
I use Samsung browser from my phone (not a Samsung phone though) and it has the ability to save and use passwords using fingerprint.

With that said, you can also use the good ol method of using open and paper for your password manager
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3868 upvotes
Antarctica
Best is subjective. The common favorites are bitwarden and lastpass due to user friendliness and features.

I am happy using a keepass database. It’s not as automated but I like the control.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1325 posts
1148 upvotes
Нейтрально
JasonD983 wrote: Bitwarden, took 2 evenings to change all my passwords, but damn. I love bitwarden.
I was a longtime Roboform user. When I switched to mainly using Linux on my PC I found Roboform lacking. I made the switch to Bitwarden a couple years ago and I have no reason to use anything else.
Works on Linux and Windows flawlessly. I only recently learned that with the paid version ($10USD per year) it can also be used to generate Google Authenticator codes and they are auto copied to the clipboard so all you do is click "paste" when prompted and the 2FA code is entered automatically.

I know there are easy ways to import from Roboform or Lastpass using .csv
May 26, 2014
216 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
thexdriver wrote: I was a longtime Roboform user. When I switched to mainly using Linux on my PC I found Roboform lacking. I made the switch to Bitwarden a couple years ago and I have no reason to use anything else.
Works on Linux and Windows flawlessly. I only recently learned that with the paid version ($10USD per year) it can also be used to generate Google Authenticator codes and they are auto copied to the clipboard so all you do is click "paste" when prompted and the 2FA code is entered automatically.

I know there are easy ways to import from Roboform or Lastpass using .csv
I didn't even know you could use G2A on bitwarden. Thank you! Will set that up this weekend.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1784 posts
775 upvotes
bitwarden and a yubikey for me.
are we there yet?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
Reviving an October thread here instead of creating a new one.

Any opinions or recommendations on password managers for families?
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm evaluating Bitwarden and while I feel it is functional, I'm not completely impressed with it. In particular, I am quite surprised that its' search function does not allow you to search passwords. The Email / Username field is a bit of a mess as well.

I've been using another password manager - mSecure - for 10+ years and have not thought of using anything else until this month. They announced a significant revision with new Essentials (base version) and Premium versions and have moved to yearly subscription pricing. I only found out when the app was updated in the Android Play store and suddenly there is a v6 and there is a countdown for the number of days left in my Premium trial. "Trial" wut??? Pricing seems to be about typical of what the big name pw managers are now charging so that's not a huge issue. Legacy "Pro" users like me get to keep using the app but are now moved to the Essentials version. I'm a little worried I will lose a couple of key features so I've started evaluating other pw managers. In particular, the ability to search all fields and passwords is critical to me.

Am I missing some function in Bitwarden that would allow me to search passwords? I've been reading their help pages and see the syntax that can be used for indexed fields but passwords is not an indexed field.

https://bitwarden.com/help/searching-vault/

Custom fields are also odd in that you have to create them for every record.

https://bitwarden.com/help/custom-fields/

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6586 posts
1750 upvotes
rural ontario
I'm using unraid to self-host bitwarden. I do find it a bit fiddly to configure - but I refuse to have my passwords hosted in the cloud.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73