Cell Phones

Best pay as you go plan for 1 week? Help!

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2015 3:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4461 posts
1203 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Best pay as you go plan for 1 week? Help!

Hi guys,

Need a little help and advice.
I need to get a Sim card for my dad who'll be in Toronto for a week. Do you guys know what the best pay as you go plan to get is?
1)He doesn't need data - just need the calling
2)he's using a MicroSim card.
3)he'll be in Aurora half of the time so I think coverage is important. I'm not sure of a carrier like wind would cut it unless you guys have good personal experiences with smaller companies.

Thanks in advance!!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3895 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
The best for a week is probably President's choice mobile.

You can get a SIM card at most Loblaws store for $10, and you get $10 credit.
Local calls are 20 cents a minute, which is about 48 minutes with the $10 credit.

Other plans here. http://www.pcmobile.ca/prepaid_plans_features.jsp

One catch. Loblaws also has post kiosks for mobile. Stay away from them, because their only purpose is to sell post paid plans.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4461 posts
1203 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you. If there's no other advice I'll go with that. Do you know how the reception is because he'll be at Aurora? And what about Rogers or Fido?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3895 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
President's choice mobile uses the Bell network, I have no idea how good Bell is in Aurora, you would have better info than me.

Rogers and Fido have prepaid options, not as cheap though, and the SIM card costs at least $5, or more. To be honest, the pickings are slim when it comes to prepaid in Canada, especially if only used for a week or so.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4461 posts
1203 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'll head over to loblaws this afternoon and pick this up. Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4461 posts
1203 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bridonca wrote: President's choice mobile uses the Bell network, I have no idea how good Bell is in Aurora, you would have better info than me.

Rogers and Fido have prepaid options, not as cheap though, and the SIM card costs at least $5, or more. To be honest, the pickings are slim when it comes to prepaid in Canada, especially if only used for a week or so.
Thanks Bridonca, your post really helped. Picked up a pc prepaid Sim card for $10 and it's worked out amazing! Cheers!
Sep 2, 2014
145 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Glad it worked out for you honggil. I've been with PC Mobile PAYG for over 8 years now and never had a signal issue anywhere I've been in Canada.
Dec 6, 2010
296 posts
71 upvotes
bridonca wrote: To be honest, the pickings are slim when it comes to prepaid in Canada, especially if only used for a week or so.
Sad but true... The thing is Canadian consumers are passive and don't insist on other options which is part of the problem.
bridonca wrote: The best for a week is probably President's choice mobile.

You can get a SIM card at most Loblaws store for $10, and you get $10 credit.
Local calls are 20 cents a minute, which is about 48 minutes with the $10 credit.

Other plans here. http://www.pcmobile.ca/prepaid_plans_features.jsp

One catch. Loblaws also has post kiosks for mobile. Stay away from them, because their only purpose is to sell post paid plans.
I"ve asked about prepaid at some of these kiosks inside Canadian Superstore and if you can believe it they don't even sell PC pre-paid, only post paid. What a joke.....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)