• May 25th, 2015 6:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
27 posts
NS

best PAYG data?

Just wondering if anyone could advise what the best deal is on PAYG data. Some months I am 5 GB, some months I am 250 MB. Thanks!
4 replies
Jun 15, 2005
81 posts
38 upvotes
zinneken wrote: Just wondering if anyone could advise what the best deal is on PAYG data. Some months I am 5 GB, some months I am 250 MB. Thanks!
You may want to consider going the route of a flex tablet plan. Don't get hung up on the 'tablet' wording or even 'iPad' wording, I think you just buy the SIM and put it in whatever device you want. If you mostly keep under 1GB and occasionally go to 5GB, then the Bell plan is probably best at $20 for 1GB. If you more often go past 1GB, then Fido does 5GB for $35.

This would be best accomplished with one of four ways:
1. Dual SIM phone (not common) - one SIM for voice/text, one SIM for data
2. Two phones - simple phone for voice/text, smartphone for data. If you're worried about doing texts on a crappy phone, you could always do an SMS over data service and use the smartphone
3. Go with Koodo's prepaid service which is $15 a month base plan for unlimited text and then you buy bucks of voice and data that never expire as long as you pay the base plan. Their price is $30 per 1GB but on a month you use 250MB, the unused data would always be carried forward.
4. Drop voice/text and go with data only and use VOIP services for voice calls and SMS. It's not perfect but generally works well, with the biggest downside being that it typically eats through your phone battery a bit quicker.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
27 posts
NS
kymics wrote: You may want to consider going the route of a flex tablet plan. Don't get hung up on the 'tablet' wording or even 'iPad' wording, I think you just buy the SIM and put it in whatever device you want. If you mostly keep under 1GB and occasionally go to 5GB, then the Bell plan is probably best at $20 for 1GB. If you more often go past 1GB, then Fido does 5GB for $35.

This would be best accomplished with one of four ways:
1. Dual SIM phone (not common) - one SIM for voice/text, one SIM for data
2. Two phones - simple phone for voice/text, smartphone for data. If you're worried about doing texts on a crappy phone, you could always do an SMS over data service and use the smartphone
3. Go with Koodo's prepaid service which is $15 a month base plan for unlimited text and then you buy bucks of voice and data that never expire as long as you pay the base plan. Their price is $30 per 1GB but on a month you use 250MB, the unused data would always be carried forward.
4. Drop voice/text and go with data only and use VOIP services for voice calls and SMS. It's not perfect but generally works well, with the biggest downside being that it typically eats through your phone battery a bit quicker.
Now that's a great answer, thanks!