• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2016 6:09 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2014
575 posts
644 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Best phone 2016

What do you guys is the best phone of 2016 (especially for pictures)? Every company has screwed up something

Pixel - Expensive, no water proof, Bad speakers
Samsung - Explosive phones
Iphone - Expensive, no head phone jack
Lg - Random Boot loops
19 replies
Newbie
Nov 23, 2015
44 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Every phone is going to have its pros and cons, but I think it's obvious that the Galaxy S7/S7 edge ticked the most boxes this year.

1. S7/S7 edge
2. Pixel/Pixel XL
3. iPhone
4. LG

There's a ton of high quality phones that can compete with the iPhone and lg though imo. Axon 7, Xperia XZ, Honor 8, etc.

Of course, pretty much all the flagship phones are equal and the determining difference will be price and preferences (look, waterproof, speakers, camera). --> Typically each flagship phone tries to have the best of one of these.

For pictures like you asked, I think it's the galaxy s7 for sure. Cameras like the Xperia XZ have a camera with more megapixels, but the edge of photos are more blurry. Samsung's camera is very quick and gives very high quality of photos.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
20509 posts
9952 upvotes
Oakville
I wasn't aware the g5 had boot loop problems. Considering how many people jumped on it during the Koodo sale, you'd think it would've been brought up more. And didn't it just win the blind shootout over at GSMarena too?
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2009
514 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: I wasn't aware the g5 had boot loop problems. Considering how many people jumped on it during the Koodo sale, you'd think it would've been brought up more. And didn't it just win the blind shootout over at GSMarena too?
My friend just replaced his G3 because of bootloop issue, about 1 month out of warranty. Replaced it with a G4 and after a month got the boot loop on that phone as well. I think there was news recently that LG is giving full refunds for the Nexus 5X cause of bootloop issue and they don't have parts to fix the affected phones, hence the refunds. I think there is a fundamental problem with their manufacturing process and/or hardware.

Needless to say, my friend is super super pissed.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
19139 posts
2856 upvotes
Woodbridge
OnePlus 3t. Had the 3, three times this year. Waiting for the Soft Gold 3t.

Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus and Google Pixel XL user.

Even if it cost $899 I love the Dual SIM, Dash Charging is THE fastest and of course Oxygen OS, the closest to Google's Pixel. The $649 (128GB) is what makes it the best not to mention IMO it's the BEST DESIGN next to hTc's One M7.

Not going to comment on the Camera, IMO it works and good enough this obsession of wanting the best makes no sense to me.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2014
1155 posts
97 upvotes
bembol wrote: OnePlus 3t. Had the 3, three times this year. Waiting for the Soft Gold 3t.

Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus and Google Pixel XL user.

Even if it cost $899 I love the Dual SIM, Dash Charging is THE fastest and of course Oxygen OS, the closest to Google's Pixel. The $649 (128GB) is what makes it the best not to mention IMO it's the BEST DESIGN next to hTc's One M7.

Not going to comment on the Camera, IMO it works and good enough this obsession of wanting the best makes no sense to me.
Actually the OnePlus 3T is available for pre-order now (Gunmetal 64 GB, ships in 4 weeks). Too bad the Soft Gold is only available in 64 GB.

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/oneplus-3t
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1361 posts
249 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Galaxy S7 or HTC 10. Best cameras and they are very good smartphones.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
hshot_rooke wrote: My friend just replaced his G3 because of bootloop issue, about 1 month out of warranty. Replaced it with a G4 and after a month got the boot loop on that phone as well. I think there was news recently that LG is giving full refunds for the Nexus 5X cause of bootloop issue and they don't have parts to fix the affected phones, hence the refunds. I think there is a fundamental problem with their manufacturing process and/or hardware.

Needless to say, my friend is super super pissed.
I had a G3 bootlooping and I fixed it by replacing the battery. The phone was quite old and I probably exceeded the 500 charge cycles that the stock battery was rated for. Only the G4 experienced any type of bootloop issue and LG was very good about replacing them even out of warranty, and from what I gather the newer models do not suffer from that issue any more to any significant extent.

The reports of the G3 and the G5 bootlooping are not widespread. And like I said, with my own G3 it was because of the battery, and I actually learned how to fix it by searching on Google, other people reported the same problem. Not a big deal to replace a $10 battery on a 2 year old phone IMO. At least with LG phones you actually can replace the battery yourself. With most phones you would be screwed.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
So to respond to the thread, "best phone" in what way?

The best deal on a high end smartphone this year was by far the LG G5 through Koodo for $360 minus a $50 gift card. Sure, the Galaxy S7 is a nicer phone but it costs more than twice as much for a marginal difference. The iPhone 7 is up there as well but it costs even more than the Samsung, particularly if you want any type of decent storage option. My brother in law paid $1400CAD for the 256gb iPhone 7 Plus. Crazy IMO. Sure, it's probably the nicest phone on the market, but you do have to consider cost.

So, in terms of nicest high end phone for the money, my vote is for the LG G5. In terms of nicest phone if cost is no object, I am calling it a tie between the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, depending on which OS you prefer.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
20509 posts
9952 upvotes
Oakville
hshot_rooke wrote: My friend just replaced his G3 because of bootloop issue, about 1 month out of warranty. Replaced it with a G4 and after a month got the boot loop on that phone as well. I think there was news recently that LG is giving full refunds for the Nexus 5X cause of bootloop issue and they don't have parts to fix the affected phones, hence the refunds. I think there is a fundamental problem with their manufacturing process and/or hardware.

Needless to say, my friend is super super pissed.
And none of those phones are the G5, which is the phone in question.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
4089 posts
1681 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: So to respond to the thread, "best phone" in what way?

The best deal on a high end smartphone this year was by far the LG G5 through Koodo for $360 minus a $50 gift card. Sure, the Galaxy S7 is a nicer phone but it costs more than twice as much for a marginal difference. The iPhone 7 is up there as well but it costs even more than the Samsung, particularly if you want any type of decent storage option. My brother in law paid $1400CAD for the 256gb iPhone 7 Plus. Crazy IMO. Sure, it's probably the nicest phone on the market, but you do have to consider cost.

So, in terms of nicest high end phone for the money, my vote is for the LG G5. In terms of nicest phone if cost is no object, I am calling it a tie between the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, depending on which OS you prefer.
LG G5 is one of the best deals for highend phones in Canada. By the same logic, the best modular phone is however Moto Z play (which can be had for similar price).

I vote Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 as the best budget phone to buy directly from vendors.

These three are probably top RFD phones if you take costs into consideration.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4157 posts
1107 upvotes
I'll vote for 1+3 or the mi5s. It's not just for the price. It has no blot wares. Makes the phone cleaner and more responsive.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2004
5156 posts
1218 upvotes
robertz wrote: Galaxy S7 or HTC 10. Best cameras and they are very good smartphones.
If price is not a factor, I agree with this. I'd throw the Pixel/XL in as well.

IMO, the best value is the OP3/T.
Member
Oct 21, 2013
293 posts
55 upvotes
North
Try the new Blackberry Dtek60 - best value with top specs. And a great business phone. For me this is the best phone this year!!
Jr. Member
Jul 16, 2013
181 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
my iPhone 5 broke recently and I didn't want to update to the 7 because of the major design update speculated for the 8. I picked up an SE from koodo and have been very impressed.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2009
514 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: And none of those phones are the G5, which is the phone in question.
My apologies...lost my thought in the LG bootloop issues and didn't relate it back to original topic. Have read that the LG G5 also has bootloop issues. Maybe not as widespread, but maybe a knock against it for being 'Best Phone 2016'
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4534 posts
2074 upvotes
Parry Sound
Pixel series, iPhone 7 series, S7 series, HTC 10 series, LG G series

Any of those can be considered the best.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12187 posts
3398 upvotes
vhl111 wrote: Try the new Blackberry Dtek60 - best value with top specs. And a great business phone. For me this is the best phone this year!!
5.5 inch screen with BB security. The other phones can't compare.

Any business person would take this over anything else with outdated patching.

For a play phone anything Chinese blow everyone else out of the water. Work phone most likely a BB or IPhone or Pixel because of patching.

Top